Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

1977 924 exhaust valves

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Cars and Parts Wanted/For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicMillhouse  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: 1977 924 exhaust valves Reply with quote

Hello I am in desperate search of some 33mm exhaust valves for a 1977 Porsche 924 head that I am rebuilding. I found 4 brand new old stock intake valves but no luck on the exhaust ones. My old exhaust valves arenít perfect but after a good polish I may have to just re use them.... really not looking to do that so not sure what my options are at this point. And I really donít want to change the head as the added cost is just not something I want to spend. Car is being rebuilt with my niece to teach her about automotive repair and sheís a brand new driver so the 95hp is plenty my for her lol
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 5 reusable ones. They have a little wear on the stem, but still good for reuse. How many do you need? For new ones, Ferrera has some 9mm blanks that they can cut down to fit. Originally blanks for some Porsche , probably 356 or maybe early 911.
Poco a Poco, #033 '78 Vintage racer, SCCA Dp-81
'77 924
cricketdesigns.com
MagicMillhouse  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the offer Reply with quote

I have my 4 old ones that I think will be okay to re use also some wear on the stem. Do you know if the fererra ones are 137mm long?
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the Ferrera catalog and their 9mm stem valves are unfinished blanks with a 47mm head so they would take quite a bit of machining to make work. they would need the heads machined down, keeper grooves cut and a hard tip inserted, they are also 8.96mm rather than 9 so a new guide might be required also. This is the kind of thing they do, but I have no idea of cost.
SI Valve used to make 9mm valves for 924, but I called several months ago and they said no more. There are probably some valves out there that can be modified to work, but I have not looked for them. The air cooled cars tended to use larger valve stems as they got rid of a lot of the heat thru the surface area of the stem, but length might be an issue. I don't have any good suggestions besides looking on ebay in UK and Germany. Also check with Piper in UK and Catcam in Netherlands. All this stuff is also made in Europe, my search engine does not look over there. Some UK/European help would be great.
Poco a Poco, #033 '78 Vintage racer, SCCA Dp-81
'77 924
cricketdesigns.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Cars and Parts Wanted/For Sale All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: