Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

1980 924 Brake Booster Servo options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdub6v  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: 1980 924 Brake Booster Servo options Reply with quote

VW part number 270 79 3 FR

Audi part number 477 611 907 D

ATE 3.6852-4701.4

My master cylinder blew and leaked some fluid into the servo. It's probably fine but there's no way to get all the residual fluid out of it. Ironically I trashed one with a parts car a few weeks earlier.

I found some places that will rebuild for $250ish

Are there any bolt on upgrades, like a 928 servo?

Car is a naturally aspirated Audi 2.0L model. I already purchased a new master as the plan was a complete refresh of the hydraulics.

This ebay listing suggests that an ATE 300083 is compatible but I am not so sure, other website don't show compatibility between the 924 & 924S

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Booster-Ate-300083/193377127624

Thanks!
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early cars had a 7" booster that is almost impossible to find. Apparently in 1980 they switched to the larger 008 one which is also on the 924S/944. My track car is a '78 and I have the bigger booster in it. It interferes with the throttle cable and is very close but works with the clutch cable. I had to put a new hole in the firewall to make the throttle cable work. I'd try flushing it out with denatured alcohol sticking it back in there. If it fails the car will stop without the brake booster, just lots of pedal pressure.

Then keep looking for a car being parted out and snag one. There is a parts yard in CA called Parts Heaven who probably would have a used one, I've gotten a variety of parts from them. They have a website and respond to emails.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
vdub6v  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeJinCO wrote:
The early cars had a 7" booster that is almost impossible to find. Apparently in 1980 they switched to the larger 008 one which is also on the 924S/944. My track car is a '78 and I have the bigger booster in it. It interferes with the throttle cable and is very close but works with the clutch cable. I had to put a new hole in the firewall to make the throttle cable work. I'd try flushing it out with denatured alcohol sticking it back in there. If it fails the car will stop without the brake booster, just lots of pedal pressure.

Then keep looking for a car being parted out and snag one. There is a parts yard in CA called Parts Heaven who probably would have a used one, I've gotten a variety of parts from them. They have a website and respond to emails.

Thanks for the response. So you are saying that the 924S/944 booster will work with my car, I might just have to reroute the throttle cable?
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, it's not that easy. The 944 booster also has a longer top hat/standoff that bolts to the firewall and tilts the booster at a bit of an angle. So the brake line location moves by maybe 1/2". I believe the 9" booster push rod is a bit longer. During one of my trial assembly I tried using the 924 top hat and had to add a spacer between the booster and the top hat to get the length right. I ran all new brake lines so for me that wasn't an issue. Looking back I would have preferred the smaller booster with a spacer for a bit more space or not having a booster at all(causes it own sets of issues). But then this is a track only car.

Try cleaning the old one out, denatured alcohol is cheap or look at used parts yards for another one. Getting the booster /top hat assembly out requires removing the front seat to get to the 3 nuts holding it to the firewall.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
vdub6v  

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man, I will definitely go the rinse route first. The 942S/944 booster is too much mod work and I do want to keep the car stock in appearance. Kicking myself for pitching the one in the parts car!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: