Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Modifications for 78 Porsche 924

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vardic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:17 am    Post subject: Modifications for 78 Porsche 924 Reply with quote

Hey so recently bought a 1978 Porsche 924 that currently don’t run it seems to be the ignition control module being burnt up so got to replace that. But I’m interested in modifications for this year model looking to get a lot of HP gains as I plan on making this a race car.
Any thoughts are welcome!
I will keep y’all updated on the progress of the car hope everything goes well.
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In SCCA, the 924 is competitive (and reliable) in two classes; Improved Touring B (IT-B) and H Production (HP). Several folks on this board race them and do very well. Look into the club rules (GCR - General Competition Rules) for the modifications allowed. Stock, the normally aspirated 2 liter Audi engine produces about 105 HP. Built up within the rules they produce about 130 or more HP. On this board, many folks will give you advice on what to do to make a competitive race car. Enjoy the journey!
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
Vardic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:28 am    Post subject: Mods Reply with quote

Hey sorry for the long inactivity but I have another question.
Is it possible to swap a 350 chevy engine into a 78 porsche 924?
If so what would be the cons to swapping it?
Or is there other engines that would be better for swapping.
Im really looking for hp gains.
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could by a surplus military jet engine and get all the hp you desire.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd check out this thread for one option: https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=45866 Depending on what you have in mind and your fabricating skills, what safe did seems like a good option, and probably easier than a motor swap despite the necessity to convert to EFI and do a lot of fabricating work. Being the granddaddy of engine swaps, I'm sure you'd have an easier time finding bits and pieces you'd need to swap a 350 than most motors. I do believe it's been put under the hood of more vehicles not intended for it than any other motor. If I was going to do a V8 swap, I'd lean toward a Ford 302/5.0: for a smaller car and engine bay, the compactness and lighter weight seem more desirable than the extra 50 cu-in. That said, I think the LS is the only motor that has something of a beaten path for swap to a 924, and you might be able to buy some of the custom pieces you need instead of fabricating them yourself.

With all that said, the inherent downsides of a V8 swap (throws off the handling and balance of the car, likely to be a maintenance headache) combined with the significant difficulty makes it something I don't think I'd even consider personally. I'm not sure how much power either the Audi or Porsche transaxles can take, but any V8 this side of a taxi motor stands to shell out the transmission. The best motor swap would seem to me to be the Audi 20V, only those are pretty rare. 924ACR races a very built-up car with that motor. I believe he ended up putting a Corvette transaxle in it after burning through several G31 transaxles.

Anyway, I don't want to pour cold water on anything, but I do have to note that the 924 is a challenging car to build big power and big speed from. You can get quite a bit more out of the 2.0 with EFI and supercharging or turbocharging (swapping in the OE turbo setup would be much easier, although more limiting), but past a certain point, other platforms would make things much easier. I'm not sure how much you're looking for suggestions; that said, if you want to commit to the 924, I'd suggest 200HP (at the wheels) as an attainable goal. Throw in some 944 brake and suspension upgrades, and you'll never lack in the handling department. I love driving mine; within the limits of the original engine and driveline you can build a really fun car. When it comes to racing, I don't know much, but Fifty50Plus does, and 924ACR has a thread detailing several seasons of work. I would carefully consider what they're doing or have done; I imagine a V8 swap would leave you competing in a pretty stiff category...
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, I got some things confused between 924ACR and Britain; he's got a great race car build thread that's definitely worth a look through. I'd like to attain that level of craftsmanship some day! https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=44218
Mclaren924  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beartooth wrote:
Whoops, I got some things confused between 924ACR and Britain; he's got a great race car build thread that's definitely worth a look through. I'd like to attain that level of craftsmanship some day! https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=44218

I have long term plans to copy Britains Corvette transaxle swap but with an LS instead of the 5cyl he's got. Hoping to avoid having to modify bellhousing and torque tube length by sticking all LS. This of course requires high amounts of fabrication to make work. There's a whole lot of swaps for these cars but sadly nothing cheap. Expect 10k all said and done, even if you do all your own work. The stock motor can take quite a beating and with morghen making EFI bolt on kits and Safe showing the possibility's of a "junkyard" turbo setup I think I would stick with stock motor and boost it with efi. youll end up around 250+ hp depending on setup and the stock trans won't be mad.
1977 924 Slicktop "Pennie" Bucket turned Silver Spoon
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, one good prospect would be to find a wrecked C5 Corvette - that should give you the whole package. As I remember, Britain shortened the torque tube and driveshaft. That's a challenge, but I'm guessing it's necessary: the wheelbase on the vette is 10" longer. You'd also be doing a lot of cutting on the tunnel and floor pan. Still, it does seem like the best option if you want to make a scary-fast 924 for the least amount of money (although something like safe's rat rod would be scary-fast enough for me). If I had lots of time on my hands and a good way to machine the adapters and such, I'd be tempted to try the Small-block Ford option, adapted to an original transaxle (I think the G31 is toughest? But hard to come by or rebuild a good one). With aluminum heads/intake and minimal accessories, you'd have the least weight gain of any easy-to-find V8 (150lbs or less) and as much power as you'd dare challenge the drivetrain with. It would be fun, but still begs the question of why you wouldn't start with something faster.
safe  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can swap in a number of engines or add a turbo charger.
The thing is, you need to figure it out how to do it and fabricate the needed stuff.
There is few bolt on power upgrades, mostly just the current supercharger kit from Ciprian.

As for swaps, why not an LS, cheep , power and compact. It's what makes the most sense. But it also depends on the legality where you live.
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
Vardic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, sorry for the late responses guys, I will look into all the things mentioned, I will also try to keep informed of the progress.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing missing: what kind of racing are you looking to do?
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Vardic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either drag or just regular street racing. I’m leaning more towards street but who knows. It kinda depends on all the things listed and how my car does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: