Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

1979 924 Daily driven project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DZGunner  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they also carry the seal as well?
1977 924 (Parts)
DZGunner  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got some mail in today, allowing me to move forward a bit. New pilot bearing insert/seal/bearing, RMS, oil pan gaskets, clutch kit, hardware. The pilot bearing going in was easier than I was anticipating. Just threaded the same bolt I used to extract it into the back of it and tapped it with a hammer until it was fully seated. EZ PZ

1977 924 (Parts)
DZGunner  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't posted in a while, but It's because I've been doing a lot of hacking, online shopping, and measuring to see how I can make things work. Today I finally got to throw things together to vaguely get an idea of how everything might fit. Essentially I'm just missing the EFI kit at this point, so there's no fuel rail/FPR/injectors or harness, but when measuring everything I made sure to leave room for the other components as best as I could. This is what I've come up with so far.

The Idle air control valve Is from my old and sold 87 928 S4. Obviously the hose coming from the IACV that appears to be too long Isn't actually cut to size yet, but simply illustrating where It's intended to be routed to. The Audi TB actually had a piece on the side that was perfect to route to the IAC valve, but it was protruding in such a way that it interfered with the 180 degree intake pipe. So I had to hack it up and put a brass 90 degree elbow in its place. I gotta say, It's all fitting like a glove... for now...

1977 924 (Parts)
DZGunner  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey gents, I'm back. Spent a lot of time cycling over the summer, but the project is still chugging along. Waiting on a part to come back from a metal working shop, and a few pieces of mail; For the most part I'm getting pretty close to being able to start the car.

Picked this injector sinse my car will remain naturally aspirated, and won't need a crazy amount of fuel. 268cc injector from a 2001 VW 1.8l turbo Beetle.

Hole for wire-harness. Waiting on a grommet.

This might seem a little extreme, but has anyone here actually chopped this gear off the end of the cam (EFI converts)? I'm honestly considering doing so, just so I can replace the entire gear/dizzy housing with a flat aluminum plate. Reason being to allow more space for easier maintenance. Again. I know that's a bit extreme, but I'm sort of obsessed at this point with making things minimal and easy to work on.

I tapped and put my own brass elbows to help reduce the amount of hose and molded 90 degree hose used. Also the cold start valve opening was tapped to allow a port for the MAP sensor. Hard to see maybe but the threaded holes have grub screws in them to seal the intake.

Injectors were deliberately selected for output and shape. I wanted to have them fit the stock inserts and still reach down into where the original injectors would. All I had to do was pick up some O-rings from ACE to make them fit the inserts. Top O-rings are a generic size and fit the fuel rail already.

I'll post more as I go along. My next big step is wiring power to my harness and other little odds and ends. I'm also going to do my best to remove the unused stock wiring.
1977 924 (Parts)
DZGunner  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while, and I got really caught up in learning how to tune VEMS. Had a few kinks I had to work out and solve, particularly getting control of the IAC valve. Took me a few months to get it all ironed out, but the car runs great. It's been able to start and run in -17 degree F. I'd like to thank Raceboy here on the forums for sending the kit. Have an old video of my initial startup and tuning from last year, and some pics I took out on a drive today.

https://youtu.be/fwp8pKc6w1w

1977 924 (Parts)
DZGunner  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my suspension, and ordered some new control arm bushings. All the places I look show the top bushing in the picture as being for all 1977-1982 924's, and then obviously for the early metal type control arms on 944's. The bottom bushing is the factory one I had to cut to get it off the control arm.

First question; is this top bushing usable on our control arms or do I need to find the bottom one with the metal inside?

Second, when I applied the top (new) bushing to my control arm, you can see the orifice at the back of it is very small and doesn't allow the rod on the control arm to push all the way through, which is also disallowing the bushing to push up as far as the OE one sat. Is this normal/ok?

I'll post pics of the control arms with the gap I'm talking about if anyone isn't sure

1977 924 (Parts)
Raize  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping for interest about the different bushing types.
DZGunner  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to follow up on the bushings, I beat them on with a rubber mallet pretty damn hard and still had a small gap. Needless to say it made installation quite difficult, mainly trying to get the small bracket and bolt holes to line up, but with some pry bars, hammers, and a lot of anger, I was able to get them on. Just make sure that before you press or hammer them on, that you have them oriented correctly, cuz once they are on... they're on.

So the answer is yes, they work. Something to be careful of though, make sure you don't cross thread the bolt holes when you try to put the 2 bolts on that bracket.

Pics soon
1977 924 (Parts)
DZGunner  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know the proper term for this crimped part on the end of the cable closest to the pedal? I'm going to be making a new cable for extra length for a new setup but I can't for the life of me find this part anywhere.

1977 924 (Parts)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: