Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

PAECO Camshafts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeneese  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:38 am    Post subject: PAECO Camshafts Reply with quote

Does anybody know who ground the camshafts and supplied valve spring components from PAECO. They are apparently out of business.

Porsche 1982 Euro Spec 924

Last edited by jeneese on Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know for sure, but when I was looking at cams they looked like they might have been from Webcam. Elgin cams also has quite a few and developed many of the race cams back in the day. Reground cams require additional shims due to the reduced circle dia. Alfa Romeo 9mm shims come in 100+ sizes and are about $4 each. My Elqin 66-15 is great.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
jeneese  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeJinCO wrote:
Don't know for sure, but when I was looking at cams they looked like they might have been from Webcam. Elgin cams also has quite a few and developed many of the race cams back in the day. Reground cams require additional shims due to the reduced circle dia. Alfa Romeo 9mm shims come in 100+ sizes and are about $4 each. My Elqin 66-15 is great.

Cant you give me a part number so I know where to look for these Alfa valve shims.

Thanks

Jim

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Centerline Alfa, looking for 9mm valve stem shims. They are on the early(1960's) twin cam motors.

Using the adjustable lifters you can probably get all the same thickness. Summit Racing and Jegs etc. have fixed thickness cam shims, but finding the 9mm size could be tougher as most valve stems smaller these days. Check with Ferrera valves also. Measure the base(term?) diameter of the new cam versus a stock one should get you close on the thickness needed.

I'm using the Parner cam followers we group bought several years ago and they are solid rather than adjustable and much thinner than stock. We found some known shim stock to stick under the cam followers to make measuring easier, then calc'ed what we needed.

One(of the many) of the design problems of our motor is that the valve train is very heavy so they require stronger springs and load/wear the cam more. Moving all that takes power away.

'67 MG Midget Dp
jeneese  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeJinCO wrote:
Go to Centerline Alfa, looking for 9mm valve stem shims. They are on the early(1960's) twin cam motors.

Using the adjustable lifters you can probably get all the same thickness. Summit Racing and Jegs etc. have fixed thickness cam shims, but finding the 9mm size could be tougher as most valve stems smaller these days. Check with Ferrera valves also. Measure the base(term?) diameter of the new cam versus a stock one should get you close on the thickness needed.

I'm using the Parner cam followers we group bought several years ago and they are solid rather than adjustable and much thinner than stock. We found some known shim stock to stick under the cam followers to make measuring easier, then calc'ed what we needed.

One(of the many) of the design problems of our motor is that the valve train is very heavy so they require stronger springs and load/wear the cam more. Moving all that takes power away.

Thanks, Very useful information. Raced a Porsche 356 and formula V for many years. Much easier to work on for sure.

jeneese  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jeneese"][quote="MikeJinCO"]Go to Centerline Alfa, looking for 9mm valve stem shims. They are on the early(1960's) twin cam motors.

Where did you purchase the 924 solid lifters. A link would be useful.

Mike9311  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.acm.se/en/category/valve-tappet
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
jeneese  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike9311 wrote:
https://www.acm.se/en/category/valve-tappet

Thanks Mike.

jeneese  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: PAECO Camshafts Reply with quote

jeneese wrote:
Does anybody know who ground the camshafts and supplied valve spring components from PAECO. They are apparently out of business.

I have located the cam grinder that PAECO used. Seems to be a reliable small shop with good reviews though I have been unable to reach them.
Demos Cams
Steve Demos
279 Meadow Lane
Jefferson, GA 30549
Office: 706.367.2417
Cell: 706.340.6914
Fax Line: 7063670353
Email: sdemos@windstream.net

MikeDanger  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep us updated, everyone says Welded cams are crap.
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to Elgin Cam last spring about doing a cam for me. He said that a welded cam would cost well over 1K and take several months due to the welding -regrind- heat treatment/reharden- straighten. This was during initial covid panic and really didn't want to do one as their workforce was way down at the time. I'm using one of his 66-15 regrinds that was hardened(looks like nitrided) with my odd ball shim /follower setup and it and cam followers are showing no signs of wear.

New cams are available from Piper and Newman in UK, I got one from Cat Cam in Netherlands. All cost in range of $400 and delivery in 5-6 weeks. I was amazed when it got shipped on a Friday and arrived the next Wednesday for a shipping cost of about $40.

Elgin said that they need to be hardened due to our extremely heavy valve train weight. My Cat Cam does not appear to be hardened, but my valve train weight will go down by almost 50% so we will see.

'67 MG Midget Dp
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think the cat cam is unhardened, it would go wear down very fast.

There are several more cam suppliers, like mittelmotor, ENEM here in sweden etc Newman seems to be the cheapest of them all.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C�dric wrote:
I dont think the cat cam is unhardened, it would go wear down very fast.

There are several more cam suppliers, like mittelmotor, ENEM here in sweden etc Newman seems to be the cheapest of them all.

Just looked at cams a few weeks back. The price of Kent and Piper have gone up 50% in recent times. Newman may have gone up but they are still the best priced here in the UK.
jeneese  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: PAECO Camshafts Reply with quote

jeneese wrote:
jeneese wrote:

I have located the cam grinder that PAECO used. Seems to be a reliable small shop with good reviews though I have been unable to reach them.
Demos Cams
Steve Demos
279 Meadow Lane
Jefferson, GA 30549
Office: 706.367.2417
Cell: 706.340.6914
Fax Line: 7063670353
Email: sdemos@windstream.net

I have since talked to Steve Demos. Interesting pleasant conversation. Needed to know the correct lash clearance for the cam he ground. He is hard to reach.

BTW purchased a new set of cam follows from Newman Cams in the UK. First class quality and service at a very low price compared to OEM.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: