Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

1980 924 starting issues CIS Injection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdub6v  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: 1980 924 starting issues CIS Injection Reply with quote

2.0L Audi motor, regular 924. Not a 931 Turbo. The car hasn't "ran" since I got it. As far as I know it hasn't ran since 1996. New fuel filter, flushed tank, everything was incredibly clean.

With the WUR either valved off or in series with a pressure gauge I get the following: the gauge applied to the center of the fuel distributor, the pressure climbs to 5 bar (~75psig) while it is running and drops to 3 bar ( ~ 45psig) when it stops.

The car fires up strong (fraction of a second) but will only remain running if I give it gas/hold the throttle body open.

I replaced the intake boot because it was ripped near the auxiliary control valve connection. Still no resolve. I also purchased a known good fuel distributor and installed it. Still no resolve.

Starting - no gas

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ppfSaHEZoBdXVt3H7

Starting - giving it gas (ignore the squealing blower fan)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oP2tF1LY7tZy1mr7A

What should I be looking for next?
Witty924  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there.

So the pressures look good on running for you WUR. But it’s the start not holding the revs makes me think your WUR could have a blockage. These things need to be ultra clean. It’s worth removing and cleaning the intake and outtake with cleaner. Next you need to look at the airflow meter. Take the air filter out ask someone to start the car while you lift the airflow plate with your hand, if it fires and stays running with your hand lifting it then you need to recheck the WUR as above as there is an issue with fuel pressure.
Do the air flow meter test before you take the WUR off as a starter. Also check and clean the airflow meter plate, they can get clogged and become sticky, they should be spotless. Check out my vids on the above at witty 924 on YouTube. Hope it helps resolve the issue
vdub6v  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks brother, I will check it out. Since it runs the same with the WUR blocked off or inline, I think you conclusion is a likely one.

I will check out your videos and let you know what I come back with.
Jim d  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume the video "starting - no gas" your were measuring control pressure. correct? This is way to high of pressure to start the car as the engine is too lean. If I assume the ambient is 70 degF, then the control pressure should be 20-25 psig.

Again if the video was showing control pressure, then one of two things are wrong; WUR is blocked or the return fuel line to the tank is blocked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: