Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Fecker won't start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Git205  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Fecker won't start Reply with quote

So I made the cardinal mistake of buying an '82 924 sight unseen and just had it trailered home. The previous owner claimed it was a runner but I've not managed to get it started. It's been off the road for few years, is a bit of a dog but worthy of saving. I'd like it running to get it MOT'd, but the long term plan is to pull the engine a build an EV project.
The stuff I've checked are:
1. I have a spark at all plugs although its got weaker the more I've tried to fault find and I think I'm burning out the coil
2. The battery is fudged so I've had it running off a smart charger throughout to give enough juice
3. The timing is (I think) correct
4. The fuel pump doesn't kick in when I turn the key to position 2 or when I lift the flap valve that's linked to the fuel distributor
5. I've bypassed the relay triggering the fuel pump and it still wont fire
6. Ive got just over 23 psi fuel pressure before the fuel dizzy
7. With the fuel relay bypassed I get a good spray pattern at the injectors
7. With the ignition in position 2 the fuel pump triggers for a split second when I rotate the ignition distributor.
8. I've used easy start but it wont fire
9. The PO put in new plugs, leads, dizzy, coil and fuel relay
10. Compression is good on all cylinders
11. Firing order is correct

Frankly it's doing my head in! Before I rebuild the fuel dizzy and pop some new plugs in my questions are:
1. Should the flywheel be at 0 when the cam pulley is at its marker and cylinder 1 is at tdc?
2. Why isn't my fuel pump circulating when the key is at position 2 and why does it trigger when I move the distributor?
3. The distributor is pointing to the HT lead for cylinder 1 as it should be, so why isn't it firing?

Thanks for reading!

Nick
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fecker won't start Reply with quote

Git205 wrote:

Frankly it's doing my head in! Before I rebuild the fuel dizzy and pop some new plugs in my questions are:
1. Should the flywheel be at 0 when the cam pulley is at its marker and cylinder 1 is at tdc?
2. Why isn't my fuel pump circulating when the key is at position 2 and why does it trigger when I move the distributor?
3. The distributor is pointing to the HT lead for cylinder 1 as it should be, so why isn't it firing?

Thanks for reading!

Nick

1. Yes, make sure you are looking at the correct dot on the cam pulley, it could even be put on backwards, look at the cam lobes for cyl1 and make sure both lobes are actually pointing up, like dead away from the lifters.. Crank pulley can slip too but since you said ) zero I think you are looking at the flywheel marks?

2. Fuel pump relay has a tach pickup so it kills fuel if the engine isn't turning.. Crash safety stuff..

3. You say you've used "easy start"? do you mean starting fluid? Like ether?
If it won't fire on ether then it must be compression or spark.. Probably timing of one or the other..
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check engine timing first.
The way i do it is the mark on the back of the cam sprocket must be on point with its reference on the cam cover.
Then i never look at the flywheel marks as its always hard to see them if they are even there.
What i do instead is stay at the front of the engine, from the passenger side looking down at the front crank pulley you should be able to see a notch(timing mark) on the pulley and a reference on the oil pump housing.

The camshaft marks and the front of the engine marks should be both on point and then you are at TDC for cyl1.
If you cant get the two aligned then you have to re-set the engine timing.
If you can align those then open the spark dizzy cap and the pipe should be pointing towards the cyl 1 lead on the cap.
Then in clockwise orientation the next lead should go to cyl3, next 4, last one to cyl2.

If you have sufficient compression, some fuel but not too much and spark at the right time it should fire up or at least give signs that it wants to.
If it gives signs but does not quite start you have a vacum leak or the fueling needs adjustment.
Git205  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys. I've tried to check tdc off the front pulley but I can't find a notch on the pulley anywhere.

I've put a rod into cylinder 1 and it seems to line up with the flywheel mark but I can't be completely certain.

Any pointers where the front crank pulley notch is? I've seen various forums showing where it should be but I can't locate a notch on mine at all.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'a like a slit or groove on the pulley..

Top one is that dot..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: