Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Crankcase ventilation hose for 1981 Porsche 924 NA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ted von Kampen  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Crankcase ventilation hose for 1981 Porsche 924 NA Reply with quote

There is a piece of about 1"od or so hose that goes from the air intake duct to the lower back of the engine. I think it is a crankcase ventilation hose. Mine rotted and tore into. Does anybody know the PN for that hose? and where to purchase one?
thanks
Johann  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I now these are no longer available.
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like most inch size hoses can be made to work as replacements. It is when they have odd bends(like the water pump to thermostat housing)that it gets tricky. I know one FLAPS store that lets me wander around looking thru their hose stock looking for the right bend and then cutting the hose up to fit.

Pegasus Racing has aluminum hose connectors for almost any size hose and Gates actually makes HD heat shrink connectors for most water hose sizes.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
Goldwolf  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the internal structure matter so much? I need one, and the internal has a smaller hole, at least for one end of it.

My hose does not have cracks yet at least.

The UK 924 owners club attempted to get some remade, I'm trying to track that down.
1981 Weissach Edition #179
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like having that small restriction will help keep it from dumping oil to the catch can or intake... sometimes just having a couple of turns does the job.

On the racecar, we just use I think 1/2" straight hose with a 90-deg plastic elbow midway, which helps it go to the catch can, and presumably also restricts oil venting...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
scm924s  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairly certain no one in UK 924OC has attempted to get these made. needs to be oil/fuel/heat proof, normal recommendation is to get the appropriate hose size and stick a plastic/wood plug with about an 1/8"or 3/16" hole in it as a restrictor, piece of yard broom handle is a common fix for insert!
1984 n/a Black - sold
1980 n/a Le Mans#1 - sold
1980 n/a Le Mans#2- sold
1977 Martini - sold
ted von Kampen  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:01 am    Post subject: Crankcase ventilation hose Reply with quote

I finally found a work around. Certain brands of 3/4 inch 19MM have thinner walls than others. Find one that lets you heat a bit and slip over the crankcase vent fitting near the back of the block. I used a short piece of this hose to go over the vent tube then clamped it down. I had about 4-5 " sticking out To get the small hole that the stock hose had, I took 3 penny coins and soldered them together. I then drilled a hole thru about the same size as the stock hole in the old hose. Now I pushed the three coins down into the hose end and assured that it was in the hole flat. I then took about a 6-7" piece of 1/2" electrical conduit and bent slightly to go around the dip stick. That 1/2" fits inside the hose. Again clamp it with a hose clamp.

Now take another piece of the 19MM hose and cut to a length that will go over the end of the conduit and the other end goes over injection ductwork vent tube. Again hose clamp it.

It worked well and I found that it let the engine idle down to the proper RPM. Getting the air leaks fixed really helps get the CIS adjusted properly.
Goldwolf  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a 1/2 hose. Then add a T fitting halfway that would restrict down to the small diameter. Put a catch can at the bottom of the T.

Is that catch can necassary? How much oil gets in there?

I think there may be some differences between early and later cars too in how works.
Goldwolf  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this thread now

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=25323&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
Dltfam51  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Crankcase vent hose Reply with quote

Mine vent hose was cracked . Went to Autozone got a 3/4 hose and added a 30 degree copper 1/2 copper fitting to direct the hose to the intake hose. Works great . The down side is I get oil in my intake and auxiliary valve. My car is a 1980 924
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankcase vent hose Reply with quote

Dltfam51 wrote:
Mine vent hose was cracked . Went to Autozone got a 3/4 hose and added a 30 degree copper 1/2 copper fitting to direct the hose to the intake hose. Works great . The down side is I get oil in my intake and auxiliary valve. My car is a 1980 924

Sounds like you need more baffling in that hose, a restrictor to release pressure but keep the oil in there

Quite possible you could just stuff the vertical part (over the vent on the block) with some steel wool, that may be enough.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
TJC  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^
Second the steel wool suggestion, very coarse. The oil collects on the steel wool and lets the vapors pass through.
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: