Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Rough Life Wilson continued
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Analyze my data log file please Reply with quote

Noahs944 wrote:

Today was the first day of datalogging.

I highly suggest being easy on the car until you get your intercooler installed..
13lbs of boost with no IC doesn't sound very safe to me especially without a good tune. An intercooler will greatly widen the margin of error you can have in your tune before any damage occurs.. I do'n think I'd be running more than a couple of psi without one and that would just be for a mechanical shakedown..

It seems you have given your car some shakedown miles, put the IC on, and go get a professional tune on a dyno..
In your case I think it would be very wise to have a pro go over the standalone to make sure everything is working correctly and then tune it properly..

I don't think it will be a large amount of money compared to what you have already invested, and it will be fun, and you can get a cool dyno video, and then you can rip on the car hard knowing it's right
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Analyze my data log file please Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:
Noahs944 wrote:

Today was the first day of datalogging.

I highly suggest being easy on the car until you get your intercooler installed..
13lbs of boost with no IC doesn't sound very safe to me especially without a good tune. An intercooler will greatly widen the margin of error you can have in your tune before any damage occurs.. I do'n think I'd be running more than a couple of psi without one and that would just be for a mechanical shakedown..

It seems you have given your car some shakedown miles, put the IC on, and go get a professional tune on a dyno..
In your case I think it would be very wise to have a pro go over the standalone to make sure everything is working correctly and then tune it properly..

I don't think it will be a large amount of money compared to what you have already invested, and it will be fun, and you can get a cool dyno video, and then you can rip on the car hard knowing it's right

+944 milion !

Dont ruin it now, get it properly tuned by a pro, you can grenade the engine so very easy with no intercooler, bad tune and 0.9bar.
The 924 turbo runs 0.7bar with a very conservative ignition retard, proper fueling and no intercooler on a very low CR compared to what you have in the 944 engine.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Analyze my data log file please Reply with quote

morghen wrote:

The 924 turbo runs 0.7bar with a very conservative ignition retard, proper fueling and no intercooler on a very low CR compared to what you have in the 944 engine.

And still blows up if the CIS goes lean..
Lots of messed up pistons on close to stock cars that probably just got ran hard on a poor tune..
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food for thought Morghen & Fast Eddie, thank you!

------------

Making this aluminum ducting for the condenser/intercooler/rad
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about done the front air dam.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night: Drove the car finally.
It was a lot more crisp after minor tuning & large intercooler install with both fans engaged instead of just one! This car is actually FAST.
It's actually electric. Its so intense.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droops & Chris, thank you for your recommendations and info.
Since the first set of datalogs I have lowered fuel rate 6% leaner. But still suffer from absurd rich AFR issues when throttle opens up at around 3/4+. Next plan is to redo the accelerator enhancement and re-test.
Other changes since the first post:
- the day's temp was cooler
- I wired up both radiator fans to kick on at the same time rather than one.
- I built ducting or "air dam" around the rad.
- Changed antifreeze percent to 70 from 50.
- I added a front mounted intercooler.
- The tank was full of 94 octane and no octane booster
It was very interesting to experience that the car felt fast & I was surprised how quick it was considering the lower boost levels.
Perhaps this is a result of being a cooler air charge? Today I also noticed just a wee bit of knock (yellow) indicated below. This was very minor (I think because it wasn't detectable to the driver).
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its 3 am on Monday my day off and I woke up to work on Wilson. The turbo I had died due to oil starvation and I am caressing the replacement in place. I have read several forum threads online regarding the use of oil restrictors on the feed line and concluded it is vehicle specific (based on turbo bearing type, oil pressure). I have been running a restrictor seen here, but have since drilled through) and going to use a regulator to regulator flow & pressure instead. I think I am going to feed enough oil until it leaks through the turbo seal & then regulate one "click" smaller. I have a 1/4" hole drilled one the downpipe before the cat which will allow oil to drill out and this will be my indicator of "too much".

Noahs944  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks G! That's a very good resource!
I flushed the engine oil after drilling restrictor plate/installing regulator & installing a brand new Chinese turbo and found with the regulator wide open, the turbo isn't leaking!! Geeze this makes me think the other unit might have been starved.
...really sick of wrenching, just want to drive so I put my faith out to the universe and ripped up the mountain range just outside of Banff, Alberta.
THANKS WILSON FOR SHOWING ME YOU CAN BE THE CHAMP!
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last turbo was chinese too so who knows if it just leaked from the start..
Have fun ripping it up out there!

For me going from no intercooler to installing an intercoolar was a MAJOR noticeable performance improvement alone with no other changes.. Almost made it a whole new engine...
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES Eddie. I couldn't believe the difference either!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: