Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Late 944 front sway bar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
924-76  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Late 944 front sway bar Reply with quote

Iím looking into enlarging sway bars on my 1980 931. Rear are all the same, but front bars are different.
I would like to go with the front late 944 sway bar style and retain my early steel wishbone. Possible?
Is their enough clearance under the early steel wishbone to install the late 944 sway bar drop link?
Did anyone successfully complete this as bolt-on type?
Are the drop link attachment point on the early steel and late alu wishbone located at the same place?

Thanks
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 944Turbo 24mm front on my '77 with a 18mm rear. I bought some replacement 944 front steel arms for about $25 each as they have the holes in the right place for the 944 up links. I then made some adapter plates from 3/8" steel and bolted them up to the chassis arm that had 8mm tapped holes in it to hold the 944 drop links that I had shortened. I used stock 944 bushings for steel arms rather than the pocket style for the aluminum ones.

I always worried about the plates bending or distorting the chassis arm, but one HPDE school and another track day and they are fine. I did a "How To" on it many years ago but don't know if the drawing shows up any more as it was on photobucket. Could send you one. The location of the 944 arm is much closer to the spindle CL which make it stiffer as the lever arm for the bar is much shorter.

On my track car I have the 968 M030 30mm hollow and I added some more thru bolts to the plate that go up thru the chassis arm with a reinforcing plate and nut on top(long drill required). On it I put some tube pockets in the control arms as the bushings are different and have quite a bit of steel reinforcing welded on also. On this car I added the angle strengthening links to the drop link but had to fabricate them also due to the shorter length and some interference with the oil cooler plumbing on the passenger side.

I have found that any factory stock parts are less expensive from Sunset Porsche in Oregon than from Pelican of Paragon.
Poco a Poco, #033 '78 Vintage racer, SCCA Dp-81
'77 924
cricketdesigns.com
924-76  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: