Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

The 924 at le Mans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicke  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey did you read the june issue of the 911&Porsche world magazine? Apparently, to boost the sales of the 924, Porsche entered three 320bhp turbocharged two- litre 924:s in the 1980 le Mans. They all finished and the best one was sixth overall!!! I knew that 2,5 litre 944:s raced in 1981 but the best one finished seventh while one of the 924:s of the previous year won its class.
While the powerful prototypes were in the pits needing service the 924 ran for 24 hours straight. Like the old story about the turtle and the rabbit...

So 320bhp was what the factory team got out of the 2,0. Something to aim for for all of you who are modifying your engines...

Get the magazine, its the best Porsche mag around.
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now to really terrorize you....

They got 375 hp out of the best GTR

And the car weight was just over 2000 lbs

Want to drive that one now?

Porsche 924 Wide Body LS1 Corvette 500 Horsepower Engine
larso  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those GTRS melted engines frequently, it's not really worth trying to get over 300 HP out of a 924 when you can just buy a 951 and get 300 without all the problems, i never really understood why the hell they even bothered with the carrera GTR.
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would have no complaints getting my hands on the block of one of those...

secret not well known is the block is aluminum

Porsche 924 Wide Body LS1 Corvette 500 Horsepower Engine
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey larso

How many 951 have you seen blown, they are a dime a dozen. the engine doesn't hold up .
data  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys here goes, the baddest of the bunch was the 924gtp which ran in imsa events and Lemans in 1982. A lot of them where actually built in the states by Al holbert and Dave klym at fabcar. the very best of the bunch Exceeded 500hp. These cars went on to terrorize the trans-am series between 82-85.
The aluminium block 924 that ran at lemans in 82 was actually not a 924 but the prototype for the 944t engine. It had a 16 valve twin cam head, and made in the excess of 500hp. The 924's actually have a more stellar racing record than the 944t which was never really competitive in there classes.
The 924's have won their class at lemans, a D production championship, numerous imsa class and trans-am victories. Yes these cars where problematic but no more so than the other 4 cyl. turbo charged racing cars of that era.
larso  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuffen, just speaking from what I have seen.

Over at http://www.pelicanparts.com bulletin boards, there are guys with 300HP plus 951s getting 0-60s in 5 seconds, they don't blow there engines.
data  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't blow their engines because they have a better fuel system that does not lean out the car at 300 hp. The stock 931 cis would only be good for 240hp before you started having problems. I race against those 944t in POC and PCA with my 924gtr and i can assure you they don't beat me in that class. Is they are ultimately faster in the bigger classes but remember the engine is 25% bigger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: