Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Fuel leak from the gas tank area

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bureau13  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Fuel leak from the gas tank area Reply with quote

I walked by my car the other day and smelled gas (it hadn't been running) and saw that the ground near the passenger-side rear was wet. Sure enough, I'm getting a steady drip from the gas tank area. Taking a closer look, it seems to be coming from the end of the in-tank fuel pump where it meets the tank, or possibly the hose connected there...it's all wet, so I wasn't able to pinpoint it in the dark. The drip itself is coming from the bottom edge of where the pump is (threaded?) into the tank, but now that I've stopped cursing and am thinking about it, since the connectors and the hose are all wet, it's likely leaking at the hose and then running down to the lowest point and dripping off.

Hopefully that's it, because I'd really rather not replace that pump. Is that section of fuel hose available? Anything specific about this job that is weird? Anything else I should replace down there?

Thanks
2007 Hummer H3 (Daily Driver)

Past lives (I miss them all):
2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1987 RX-7 Turbo II (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
Qik Nip  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the rubber gasket between the pump and tank has given up the ghost. Order a new one from Pelican. It only takes a few minutes to install. Might be a good idea to burn up as much gas in the tank as possible to minimize the quantity you'll need to drain. Also, buy a new rubber fuel hose to replace the one you'll remove. Chances are it's become hardened over the years.
Rick
Great Lakes SCCA SM points champion '09,'10,'11
bureau13  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't sound too bad. The fuel hose is just clamped on, right? I don't think I felt a connector up there. Is that the case on both ends though? If not I can just buy a length of fuel hose, and not some bespoke Porsche part for a million bucks (I was looking at that in-tank pump and YIKES...that better not go bad).

Qik Nip wrote:
Sounds like the rubber gasket between the pump and tank has given up the ghost. Order a new one from Pelican. It only takes a few minutes to install. Might be a good idea to burn up as much gas in the tank as possible to minimize the quantity you'll need to drain. Also, buy a new rubber fuel hose to replace the one you'll remove. Chances are it's become hardened over the years.
Rick

2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
bureau13  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I found part numbers for the hose and clamps, and Pelican has them, although they don't ship as quickly, and they "can't confirm they'll fit my car." If it's not a special molded piece I can just get a generic one locally I would think. Thoughts?

Qik Nip wrote:
Rick
[/quote]

2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
knobby  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That section of fuel hose is still available from Porsche and is reasonably priced.You shouldn't use a straight hose because it needs to be pre-formed in an S shape otherwise it will kink and impede fuel flow.
bureau13  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. I wasn't sure if it was formed that way from factory, or due to age and heat. Thanks for the info!

knobby wrote:
That section of fuel hose is still available from Porsche and is reasonably priced.You shouldn't use a straight hose because it needs to be pre-formed in an S shape otherwise it will kink and impede fuel flow.

2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: