Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Parts sourcing for 1982 931 rebuild

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Croz  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Parts sourcing for 1982 931 rebuild Reply with quote

Hi all,I’m the newest forum member as of today and have acquired an 82 uk 932 which needs love. Body looking ok but needs a bit of fettling for a good respray, engine has wrong block installed but I have the original, may need a rebore as carrying some corrosion so budgetting for rebore and new pistons, thinking of some minor mods but basically want to make sure it can be reverted to standard ish if necessary. Mods on the possible list include installing air/water intercooler and increasing boost to 1bar per 930, improved oil cooling which might include turbo bearing water cooling per 944. Im looking for help at sourcing some of the tricky parts which includes the conrod bolts at the moment as this is the stopper for the engine rebuild. I understand there are some arp one about but not sure how to get these as arp are in denial on my calls. Can anyone help? Thanks
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you signed up to https://porsche924.co.uk/forum/index.php seeing as you are in the UK? One of our racers has good parts supply. A couple of members have breakers. And there is plenty of owners with stock to modified turbos with knowledge to glean from. Other parts places are ideolas garage, Mittelmotor, Frazerpart to name but a few.
Croz  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply and yes I’ve signed up there too just awaiting my access permissions. Note your mods which look interesting, I expect to have to go down the forged piston route if the bores on the original block are too big after we hone them down to clean metal. Am looking to do some subtle but effective modifications as discretly as possible
It’s fantastic to see so many enthusiasts so I’m really positive about bringing another 932 back to the road
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on the outcome of your project. Given the rise in values of 924 turbos over here, I’d carefully consider whether modifying is the best route for your car. Certainly overt and non returnable modifications.

Often the engine can be refreshed without the need for boring, just honing, which requires some new Total Seal rings and not pistons. You are right in thinking con rod bolts need replacing. Both ideolas garage and Mittelmotor have been able to supply them. Bearings are getting harder to source but our UK racer has a tight supply. I’d stick with stock pistons if staying mild. If fitting an IC and raising boost, then sometimes forged is the way to go for better det resistance.

There’s plenty of things to do or avoid in the rebuild/refresh dept depending on performance aspirations of the motor and car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: