Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Nervous about my timing belt tension
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bureau13  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used G-Strings, a guitar and bass tuner app for Android. It worked pretty well, but I had to hold it down close to the belt. One thing I tried that worked better than expected...if you can hear the pitch but it's too quiet for your tuner app, humm that same pitch into the phone. I know, it sounds dumb, but at those low frequencies the pitch changes audibly as you tighten the belt, so I found it relatively easy to match it, and the tuner app verified this.
2007 Hummer H3 (Daily Driver)

Past lives (I miss them all):
2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1987 RX-7 Turbo II (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
kevingross  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the 90 degree twist method is pretty vague, unless you've done a whole lot of them and have developed a good feel. The factory workshop manual also cites the 90 degree twist method.

My preference would be to use a tension measurement tool, such as the 9201 tool used for the 924S/944 series cars or something like it. Alas the factory does not provide a spec for the 924 2.0 series cars, at least one I can find. (Just checked the service bulletins, nope.) I wonder whether Continental does.

The harmonic method sounds quite clever! However, the vibration frequency is likely to have nothing to do with tension. Rather, it would normally be a function of the distance between the two pulleys at either end of whatever is vibrating: the belt run. Perhaps I am wrong, and someone on this thread has observed the frequency to change as tension is adjusted. I could be mistaken. Good luck!
catelluseng@gmail.com
kevingross  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what do you know. Continental provides guidance in this informational document https://www.carid.com/images/continental-contitech/info/pdfs/practical-tech-tips.pdf. (It includes mention of using one of the Krikit tools for polyrib belts.) For cam timing, there's also a picture of their Conti BTT Hz tool as an alternative, and it appears to measure frequency! So my prior posting may be all wrong.
catelluseng@gmail.com
bureau13  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it is related to length, it is also related to tension. Think about a guitar string. When you tune the pitch up and down, you're changing tension, not length. You only change the length (very slightly) for intonation purposes, so notes up and down the neck are the relative (to open) pitch they should be.

You can audibly hear this with the belt, when you're tightening it. At those relatively low frequencies, there is an easily audible pitch change between relatively small changes in tension.

kevingross wrote:

The harmonic method sounds quite clever! However, the vibration frequency is likely to have nothing to do with tension. Rather, it would normally be a function of the distance between the two pulleys at either end of whatever is vibrating: the belt run. Perhaps I am wrong, and someone on this thread has observed the frequency to change as tension is adjusted. I could be mistaken. Good luck!

2007 Hummer H3 (Daily Driver)

Past lives (I miss them all):
2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1987 RX-7 Turbo II (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
kevingross  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bureau, thanks, that makes a lot of sense!
catelluseng@gmail.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: