Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Weissach it to me
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowcarfast wrote:
Quote:
I have other plans now for the Weissach...

Yeah, I saw your post about doing the EV conversion!
Very ambitious; I wish you well on that journey. Part of me would be sad to see a classic internal combustion engine powered sports car disappear, but really, it's not like you'd be destroying a Lambo Miura. And I appreciate your aesthetic of trying to preserve as much of the character of the car as possible.

We will see how far I actually get. Have been thinking hard about "do I actually want to do that to this car?" and IDK... my ideal swap 924 candidate would be a non-sunroof 924S, for the updates to suspension and HVAC. I love this little Weissach 924 though. I daily drive it even with a couple nagging issues it's great in modern stop and go, and a joy out in the country. Have toyed with the idea of going ALL-924 (like get rid of my modern DD) but my wife doesn't like that idea... my obsessions have to have some limits..
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weekend found a fuel leak at the lowest part of the tank. Moved the car and saw a spot where I had never seen one previously... sure enough, fuel. Look down and after a minute saw a drip... Well that'll be a fun job. Add it to the list, along with replacing one of the cooling fans and freshening up the front control arms.

I'm still on the fence about this EV swap. I really love this car, as much of a dog as it is, and I've got the board in my head like "you know it's so clean you should just find another.." so maybe this winter I will look for a cheapo S builder.

Thinking also about taking it to Bart's shop out in the suburbs, as he has a nice upgrade in the way of an actual refurb on the motor mounts instead of those vibra-technics numbers which I understand rattle fillings.
Goldwolf  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in the motor mounts.
1981 Weissach Edition #179
Savethe924.com
Feeler  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldwolf wrote:
Who bought Ideolas Weissach? That's 4 of us for sure. We ought to do a reunion. I have a blast driving mine.

I bought it. It'll be a while before she's back on the road, though.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldwolf wrote:
I'm interested in the motor mounts.

Check out this post for more info http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=44833

Bart's shop website is here too https://btr-chicago.com/

Feeler wrote:
I bought it.

Glad you're taking care of the car! Any plans for it?
Feeler  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feeler wrote:
I bought it.

Glad you're taking care of the car! Any plans for it?[/quote]

I plan to put her back on the road as a daily driver. I have a long commute and I wanted something interesting to make it in. Right now, my focus is on sunroof and hatch seals and drains. There are signs of water damage in the interior. In parallel to that, I'm also tinkering with re-keying the door locks. Ideola had accumulated some parts that were thrown into the deal. I'm trying to do as much of the time-consuming/aggravating/interior clean-up stuff as I can. At some point, I plan to turn her over to a real mechanic to go through the mechanicals from front to back.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feeler wrote:
I plan to put her back on the road as a daily driver.

Awesome!!!! I really enjoyed daily driving mine last summer. Really looking forward to this year as well. Super rewarding and engaging to drive.

jacobroufa wrote:
Thinking also about taking it to Bart's shop out in the suburbs, as he has a nice upgrade in the way of an actual refurb on the motor mounts instead of those vibra-technics numbers which I understand rattle fillings.

Got it back from Bart yesterday. He repaired/replaced the following:
- fuel tank leak
- front a-arm refresh (new bushings, ball joints, sandblasted and painted)
- oil pan gasket
- oil cap
- timing belt
- fuel distributor top (massive vacuum leak around the adjustment screw area where it looked like PO had attempted repair)
- engine mount spring
- hood insulation pads

Between the suspension, fuel dizzy and engine mount spring, it drives and runs quite a bit better. A lot less vibration translating from the engine to the car (there was a constant background whirring noise it used to have) and it feels much smoother.

Found out from him that apparently I already had the upgraded larger Audi throttle body as well, so that's pretty cool.

Their upholsterer is refurbishing the stock steering wheel as well, and when I get that back it'll be installed with a brown extended hub I managed to find on the Pelican a couple months ago.

---

Things to do upcoming:
- replace sun visor clips
- repair the repaired speedo gear; needs a dab of superglue probably
- replace the passenger-side radiator fan
- drive it as much as possible!
slowcarfast  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woot! Drive it as much as possible!
Had mine just about 14 months now, the last 10 or so it was drive-able. And now after a timing belt service I feel OK pushing it. Finally got it out of the city and on some great twisties the last couple of months. Best stress-buster I've found (except for maybe the Midget, top down, on a cool sunny day).
1981 924 Weissach Ed #187
1971 MG Midget
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: