Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Weissach it to me
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Weissach it to me Reply with quote

Figured I should probably make a thread... I've had this thing for nearly a year now and I've done enough to it that I can start keeping track here. I've decided to not sell it either. This car is just too much fun!

---

So around Thanksgiving last year I picked up this pretty gold 1981 924 right around the corner from me. Literally, I was driving home through my neighborhood one day and it was a couple blocks from my house. Rust free. Good condition all around. My wife says "get the GTI out of the garage -- it doesn't even work anyway. get this thing. it'll make you happier because it can be a project but you can drive it right now." Who am I to argue with that logic...

A week later it was in my garage. GTI got sold within the month.

It does not have any records to speak of. Trip odometer stopped working, so I can't guarantee the mileage. There are a few things wrong with it, but by and large it's in really fantastic shape.

Cracked dash and faded carpet aside, this thing is in REALLY great shape.

I have a friend who has lots of body work experience and he pointed out that it looks like part of the driver's side has been resprayed. There's a trim mis-match on the rear 1/4 glass from the passenger side to the driver's side as well. The windshield and hatch glass seem to be starting to delaminate a bit, but not bad enough that it's interfering with visibility. That's about the extent of what is wrong with the car, visually.

At some point I'll be seeking out a dash pad. Have not yet decided if I want a carpeted or hard/vinyl cover. I will probably also be on the look out for a new carpet set as mine is super faded. This car has spent some serious time in the sun! Any recommendations there?

Anyway, I've done some other stuff too -- replaced a couple bits and bobs since I first got it. Aside from an oil change and replacing the air filter, my "fix list" of things I've done is below. I'll keep updating that as time goes on, I think.

The battery bracket was one of the worst fixes I've seen in a car -- This battery tray is in PERFECT shape, but the PO instead of replacing the hold down bracket just took a bit of metal construction tie strap and using a self-tapping screw put a couple holes in the tray to tie it down... Needless to say that ended in a flooded passenger floor after I replaced the bracket, and lots of swearing. Thankfully, JB Weld made an easy fix of that after I cleaned up the area and dried it off. No more leaking floor and if you're not looking for it you can't tell there was ever a hole there!

Anyhow. The list keeps growing of things I'm fixing, and I'm enjoying the heck out of this project. It's a fantastic car so far. Very enjoyable to drive. Fair to say, I'm smitten.

---

Fix List:

* Alternator mount bushing set. (11/16)
* Battery hold-down bracket. (11/16)
* Door pull stop on the driver's door. (11/16)
* Rear hatch lock cylinder grommet. (03/17)
* Driver's side window switch harness and passenger switch. (05/17)
* Passenger window motor. (08/17)
* Rear brake shoes. (08/17)
* Front brake rotors and pads. (08/17)
* Front wheel bearings. (08/17)
* Fuel filter. (09/17)

Last edited by jacobroufa on Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:49 am; edited 1 time in total
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another picture for good measure...

jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the "to do eventually" list... maybe over the winter if I can spring it. Got lots of bus parts to order this year, so we'll see!

I need to get the COA and options list from Porsche, to verify that this is indeed a Weissach Edition (by all accounts it is; just cannot confirm 100%).

I would like to find a Weissach Edition plaque, if possible, as I do not have one.

I would like to get a copy of the owner's manual and related literature that would have come with this car new -- I do not have any of this.

A full set of Lloyd's Mats would be nice. My mats look non-OE, and in fair-to-poor condition, so It will be good to replace them eventually -- all four plus the hatch carpet mat.

A fitted car cover is certainly on my wish list. This is stored inside, but my garage is old and a bit drafty so I'd like to get this before winter...

My steering wheel stitching has dissolved. I was told by a friend and fellow enthusiast that a local shop would be able to re-stitch it for about $100. I went to the shop he recommended and the owner told me it would cost over $400... Maybe to preserve the original wheel I will eventually do that, but that idea has been put on the back-burner. So, what steering wheel should I get to drive with until I feel like I want to light a wad of cash on fire for the original one?
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice car, you could do with factory rear spacers for better fit of the rear wheels.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
nice car, you could do with factory rear spacers for better fit of the rear wheels.

They have factory spacers???? That's one of my only complaints about the design of this car (aside from stupid big US bumpers)... Do you have a part number for spacer and lengthened bolts? Do you know if I should be able to find it in the part catalog?
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also say morghen, thanks.

But yeah, I just looked again in my "924_USA_80_85_KATALOG.pdf", and cannot find it on the page for wheels or brakes for the rear... :/
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I'm thinking about my car the more I remember of the minor quibbles I have with it.

Two obnoxious things I'd like to fix sooner rather than later:

* My odometer/trip odo are not working. Is it a big pain to pull the gauge cluster? On my old MK1 VWs it is trivial -- this car is reminiscent of that, but looks like it is more tucked away. Any recommendations there?

* My horn randomly honks at very low (driveway & pulling into garage or parking) speeds... I think this is a loose ground somewhere but cannot find it! Tips for tracking down?
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The factory rear spacers for the 924 NA have studs in them and you use nuts as far as I remember, so you don't need longer bolts.
Mine came with those spacers, but I cant find the part number...maybe just have a look on other people's cars for those spacers.

Horn is probably bad ground...find it..the electrical system is similar to the VW one.
Its not difficult to get the speedo out...gynecology course recommended.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lest I forget that research is a thing... here's this thread: http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=42755

Linked within is a TSB describing both the 15mm and 28mm factory wheel spacer kits. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3GfYntUoi5adHRLUXhfVDZ2NzA/view

15mm kit is p/n 477 698 153A
28mm kit is p/n 477 698 154

Both kits came with 2 spacers, 8 bolts, and a wrench. As far as I can tell they are unobtanium. Pelican says they can order from Porsche, but for $400 I'll ask the community for a source first... So, anybody got a pair of OE 4-bolt 28mm spacers and bolts for sale?
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
The factory rear spacers for the 924 NA have studs in them and you use nuts as far as I remember, so you don't need longer bolts.
Mine came with those spacers, but I cant find the part number...maybe just have a look on other people's cars for those spacers.

Horn is probably bad ground...find it..the electrical system is similar to the VW one.
Its not difficult to get the speedo out...gynecology course recommended.

I spoke too soon before doing my own searching and yep, seems that with the 15mm kit Porsche provided lengthed bolts. With the 28mm kit they have embedded bolts as you said, offset at 45˚ to the hub, and provide nuts instead of bolts.....

Yeah that ground issue will probably just keep being a thing. Dang old cars.

If the speedo removal is anything like removing the HVAC controls from my bus was, I need not just a gyno course but a sharp-metal-edge-proof glove. I cut the shit out of my hand when I was last messing around inside the dashboard of my bus... not looking forward to a repeat of that
brian19600  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.924.org/techsection/12body.htm#4%20-%20Fixing%20a%20Broken%20Odometer
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian19600 wrote:
http://www.924.org/techsection/12body.htm#4%20-%20Fixing%20a%20Broken%20Odometer

AWESOME! I've looked through 924.org for stuff, but there's a lot there, it's pretty dense in some spots, and difficult to navigate.. Thank you for the link. I know what I'll be tackling in the next couple days!

Maybe I can 3d print a new gear.... hrm. Anyone tried this? Is it even worth it when the fix is simply a dab of superglue? I would need to be able to model the old one first. I'll have to hook up with a CAD designer buddy of mine. More to come on this topic, hopefully.
gerben1986  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacobroufa wrote:
brian19600 wrote:

AWESOME! I've looked through 924.org for stuff, but there's a lot there, it's pretty dense in some spots, and difficult to navigate.. Thank you for the link. I know what I'll be tackling in the next couple days!

Maybe I can 3d print a new gear.... hrm. Anyone tried this? Is it even worth it when the fix is simply a dab of superglue? I would need to be able to model the old one first. I'll have to hook up with a CAD designer buddy of mine. More to come on this topic, hopefully.

I think it's easier/cheaper to buy a new wheel, like on this site: http://www.kilometerteller-tandwielen.com/catalog/category/view/s/porsche-924-76-88/id/208/
But, as they say: "Please always check the tooth count on the old gear before you place an order."
I also bought here the gear for my 911 and 924, both were broken...
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fantastic! Thank you for the link! I'll get this one ordered up as soon as I pull the old gear.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plates finally came in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: