Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

FOES - What do I need to buy?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric P  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: FOES - What do I need to buy? Reply with quote

So I'm in the process of fixing up a 1987 924S I picked up last weekend. The previous owner gave me all the receipts since about 1998. It appears that he had the timing belt, idler, and pulley as well as the balance shaft belt idler and tensioner replaced when he first bought the car. He drove it for less than 1000 miles and parked it because the fuel pump went (I think it was just a bad relay). This was about 7 years ago.

I'm getting everything together to do the FOES myself.

I know I need to replace the belts and probably the water pump because it wasn't done when he had the work done and it's been sitting 7 years. Do I need to replace the tensioner pulleys and idlers? I mean, they only have about 1000 miles on them but they've been sitting a while. Would I be wrong to make sure they spin ok and just knock 1000 miles off my next service interval?

On a side note, I plan on doing the work myself for the following reasons:
- I don't know of any local shops who are familiar with the 944/924S
-The car is in my garage and I have no way to transport it to a shop
- I intend to keep this car a while and think I would save a decent amount of money even with the upfront cost of buying the tools.

Would a tool like this work for double checking the belt tension, or am I better off finding another tool (kricket, arnworx, etc.)?:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/universal-cam-belt-tensioning-gauge/amm720l/?gclid=CjwKCAjw8IXMBRB8EiwAg9fgMHtEMEdfOdlqxlf9KAlVEQ4M9tOvJwYatN0rlBN1WwXylYhNU7hV5RoCtbcQAvD_BwE

Is there anything else I should do while I'm in there? As always, any pointers are also appreciated.
edredas  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually replace everything the first time.

So to break it all down:

1. The front of engine seal kit comes with three onion skins, seals, and collars for the cam and both balance-shafts.

2. Then you'll want the O-rings for the balance-shaft caps.

3. Front main seal

4. Oil pump sleeve and O-ring

5. Water pump

6. Belts and rollers.

Once you do the water pump and rollers then you can change them as needed. I also recommend doing the rear balance-shaft seals since if they leak down the road you have to do all this over again. Be sure to seal the housing with permatex anarobic gasket maker. This is readily available at NAPA, while the locktite stuff has to be ordered and requires a chisel to remove. I hope that helps!

I have few videos doing all this on my youtube channel if you want to check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnjsnqAL1kXJADV54q8wK9w
'87 924S -Red, 300hp 951 swap
'87 924S -Red, Project Car
'88 924S -Red, Daily Driver
Slam  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember to get the small seal for the back of the cam housing too. See page 9:

http://www.clarks-garage.com/pdf-manual/cam-03.pdf
'80 924 - gone
'78 924 - gone
'77 924 - rusting comfortably
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the oil pan leaking? Is the RMS leaking? How much clutch is left?

If any of the above areas are problematic are you are committed to the car long term, you might consider pulling the engine. The quality of your reseal will be much higher, and the work far more pleasant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: