Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Oil Pressure Light Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyTheD  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All. I don't know if this is a problem or not, but I wanted to get some opinions.

Just picked up an 80 turbo for a song from a Salvation Army auction. Did the usual tune-up stuff, replaced the battery.

Car fires, seems to run fairly evenly, but I get an intermittent oil pressure light at low RPM's. Then, after the engine warms up, the light stays on.

I'm not getting an excessive amount of noise or "knocking" from the engine. The engine temp is not in the red, there's plenty of oil in the block.

I'm suspecting a bad oil pressure sensor or, possibly, a bad oil pump. Any thoughts on anything else I should check first? That damn sensor is sure in a hard to reach place on the block!

Ciao

Jimmy
Paul T.  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I had the same problem with mine and it was the main bearings. The oil pump was ok, and so was the pressure transmitter. Good Luck!
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy-

I got that before my rebuild of my engine...

After I rebuilt my engine when the idles are low it still does it...

Do I care? No- I watch the actual oil pressure.

The sensor is just more sensitive and the light comes on. Replacement and it will fix it... but how often does my car idle? Not long- just at stop lights... The oil pressure should be 2 bar while at idle. Anything less is -- NOT -- exceptable. You should have 4 bar when the car is warm and driving down the road... or around there. Your oil pressure should be higher when your car is not warm because the oil is cold and so thicker.

Be sure to know what type of oil you run in your car for the conditions you put it through. To thin of oil and hot and high reving engine will mean less life to your engine. To thick of oil and loss of horsepower and harder to start in cold weather.

Porsche 924 Wide Body LS1 Corvette 500 Horsepower Engine
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTFAQ - I just put some stuff in there recently about oil pressure...

Vaughan

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
924_fan  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughn,
Just a thought - How about a "What's New" page for the 924 Garage. Then anyone can go to the page to see a list of what has been added to or changed on the site.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call, will have to add it...

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
RobE  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check and make sure you are using the right grade of oil. I had the same problem and realized that I was using too thin of oil. Use 20W50 and see if it helps.
numbers  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy, first of all, you should run a good systhetic oil in the 931. If you don't, you will be replacing the turbo quite often. This is not only expensive, but the job is just plain awful. Second, these engines are set up quite loose from the factory. Read that as wide tolerances. This aids their free reving capabilities. However, it also causes excessive oil comsumption and low oil pressure at low revs. Added to this is the fact that the Turbo runs quite hot, also causing low oil pressure. To help these problems, you should run a little heavier oil than usual, particulary in hot weather. I have had an '80 931 for 16 years, and I personaly recommend 15W-50 Mobil 1. You will still use a quart for every two tanks of gas, but your oil pressure will be fine, and your turbo will last a long time.
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like to run thick oil in my Porsche. As long as your engine runs cool and the oil stays warm and does not get too hot there is no reason to go with thicker oil...

If I was road racing I would go for thick oil because I am running my engine hard and know the oil will get thin in those curcumstances.

Porsche 924 Wide Body LS1 Corvette 500 Horsepower Engine
larso  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinner oil frees up more HP and allows you to go to higher rpms if u have the mods for it....turbo cars are weird because you may or may not need synthetic (i haven't seen any sheer proof if you definately need synth).

They say the 924 needs thicker oil because of clearances and stuff...on all our other cars we use 5W 30 in the summer...you'ver heard it before about how i've never had to do an engine rebuild...

SO are these 924s seriously needing 20 W 50, or what.
D Hook  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a straight weight 40 in the summer and 30 in the winter. Oil pressure is never a problem. Consumption is minimal. I've found the multi-viscosity breaks down too fast and thins out, dropping oil pressure. I used to have a TR-6 that did the same thing.

With the straight weight oil, pressure stays steady after warmed up. Just my experience though. May be a different story w/a turbo. YMMV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: