Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Repeated cranking and No Fire - Hot and Cold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiny  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Repeated cranking and No Fire - Hot and Cold Reply with quote

Hi all,

This is an intermittent issue, happening on average once a month so far.

The battery has been manually fully charged, and problem occurs this way and even with jump leads on a shiny new running car.

I turn the key and it just cranks and cranks with not even a hint of wanting to fire.

It has done this both hot and cold.

The last time it happened on a cold engine at my house, I quickly pulled the plugs and they all looked totally fine.

I could see and smell signs of fuel on the spark plugs too.

I put them all back in except Plug no.1 and laid it on the cam cover, and could see and hear a visual spark when cranking.

(I used to have the Hot Start Fix wired up years ago, but after replacing the accumulator with a new one, I never had a hot start issue again, till now sorta. I could try re-wiring that button up?.)

The only thing that gets it to start is to walk away for an hour and leave it alone.

Then when I return, it cranks for 3 to 4 seconds and eventually fires up, but when it does, it feels like its really rich and flooded and needs to clear itself after a 4 or 5 stamps on the gas pedal to get it to run smoothly... Then it's fine again. Until it's not. =[

Today I was stranded out in the heavy rain for an hour. Tried a set of jump leads with a helper and it made no difference. Damn thing just cranked and cranked.

Then after an hour, it fired up and I got home without any issues.

I'm wondering where would be a good place to start here, or what order to go through things?

I'm thinking to check and clean all the grounds and test them all for good continuity.

Thanks everyone
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the fuel pressures.
Tiny  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, good idea. I have the gauges.

Was thinking to put together a downloadable PDF of these types of How To's with pics.

Would be nice to be able to reference them together.

Tiny
Tiny  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to check the Fuel pressures and jumpering pins 30 and 87 on the Fuel Pump relay socket helped me to isolate my 'no start' issue.

Turned out to be poor connections on either end of Fuse No.2 for the Fuel Pump.

I ended cleaning ALL the grounds anyway as it was on my mind, and just one of the things that I like to know I've done.

Needed a new distributor cap, and rotor arm too, and it starts as it should again now.

All fuel pressures checked out fine and within spec.

Thank you Morgehn for the idea to check fuel pressure. It helped me find the problem! =]

You guys rock.
Tiny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: