Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Modifications to Wilson
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Modifications to Wilson Reply with quote

Hello, there has been some changes in my design of Wilson, the best car I ever had.

The most recently completed change is converting the front strut inserts (from Sachs to Bilstein 38mm HD), I am using early oem strutbodies with late model aluminum arms in this 88 n/a.

The benefit of the Bilsteins front & rear can be felt & appreciated. Turbo grade struts/shocks really balance the car.

The second thing that's exciting is I'm installing nitrous oxide kit into Wilson. Bought the basic kit, but other important components need to be ordered. No rush because it's winter.

Noahs944  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The third thing is I just ordered a carbon "twisted" wing. Not too big. Flame on.

The fourth thing is I just ordered some pretty serious louvers in steel panels which I will weld into the steel hood.

Noahs944  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bilstein B6 "38mm" - though tried measuring the insert to find any aspect that measures 38mm & could not!

I think this might solve my "front end feeling light" issues on gravel I was experiencing, although in a month or so I plan on painting the car and after that no more gravel (sad face).

I notice the headlight beams stay much more neutral on accell or brake.

Yesterday I drove over some train tracks (a drivable surface in a valley) which I normal gun. The suspension didn't compress like normal.

Firm but not too firm.

Simply perfect (for me).

--------------

Now regarding that wing & it's angle of attack anyone know how to make it adjustable from the driver's seat (in a low buck sort of way)?
Raize  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a huge cat.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have bigger
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Active wing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK5wDfDK2Lk
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the basic Nitrous kit I bought. Made in Texas. What the kits don't provide is about 2/3rds of what you actually need to safely and reliably ... "properly" install N.O. What appears to be a $700 kit "with everything you need" should read "everything you need to blow up yer engina real nice boy". The safety items and other goodies are about another $1600 the way I want to do it. So, not cheap... but if I installed 951 pistons & rods I could bring Wilson up to 350 lb fts of torque and many more horses than I have now, somewhere between 3000-6000 rpm.

But I'm not going that route. Here's why: The cars not ready for it. I'd need to upgrade a lot of components... and that is out of the question. Perhaps down the road. Instead I will start with the 35 shot & then go to 50 shot. This will put me in the ballpark of a stock 944 turbo for torque/hp. I think my brakes are good enough & the suspension will be maxed out with that.

There are some n/a 9.5:1 pistons on the shelf that I was tempted to put in, and infact I have a complete 9.5:1 ratio engine sitting on the floor that I am half tempted to use...

But I'll wait. I'll stick to my 10.2:1 pistons, because Wilson's engine is strong. Avoid the temptation to run the 75 shot.....

From the NX website:
"Proton Series nitrous systems combine performance, durability and value in a compact and easy to mount module. Proton systems contain high quality, made in the USA, solenoids that are capable of producing 250 horsepower to the wheels. The black anodized aluminum housing not only looks great, it pulls heat away from the solenoids for extreme durability. This Proton system includes jetting for 35HP, 50HP and 75HP. This system also includes a 10lb nitrous bottle with a standard bottle valve, stainless bottle brackets, a single Piranha nozzle, stainless braided nozzle lines, extra long braided stainless feed line, master arming switch and a push button. Fits all electronic fuel injected vehicles with a single throttle body."

Noahs944  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next big thing? Hot-rodding "baller on a budget" style? maaayyyybeee...

What you are seeing here is 2.5litre 16v oem headers on the lowly 8 valve head.
So close to matching up? Maybe...
What's the point? Oh, I dunno. Maybe faster revving, higher horsepower. Has anyone converted oem headers or will this be a first? The 16 valve tubes are around 1/16th larger then the 8 valve.

BAM. Stocks just went up!
Maybe?

Noahs944  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, update... cannot believe I overlooked this... until now. The larger diameter tube headers would move my power band upward (which I prefer for spirited driving which is always 4000+rpm) but, the S manifold holes are not in the centreline of the port, so no go unless I made a new flange.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Nitrous... I shied away from it, but there are many advantages to it. One being I like simple cars and this kit is very simple to install (or remove). You won't find more hp/tq per dollar!
-Nice thing about Nitrous is you can use it on higher compression engines. Though over 10.1:1 ratio and 93_+ octane petrol should be used.
-It's COLD and that helps prevent detonation, encourages power.
-In my case I'll be running a "wet" system which feeds fuel & N.O. in a high pressure mist (fog) AFTER the oem AFM... so any limitations of the "barndoor" are evaded... simply brilliant.
-Lastly, there's not a lot of electronic tuning thats needed (which I prefer). You can avoid the Motronic DME... just let it do it's thing and then buy a "window switch" that controls the solenoids (just set the rpms that you want the boost in) and when you don't want any boost, just click your master switch to "off".
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needing room in my workshop I finally got rid of the original torque tube from "Gramps" the n/a 924. I had kept the tube after the driveshaft broke so that I may transfer the end over to the 951 torque tube (which is very low mileage but has a damaged flange). My solution is to cut & weld a new flanged end on. Thanks Gramps. Thanks jigsaw. Thanks Lucky Lager!

Noahs944  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am content with the top speed of the 944. I am not custom to driving at 200+kms per hour at this point. Partially because Wilson takes a long time-distance to get up to that speed & also because there isn't a big track to drive on around here-yet.
The power upgrade is to help improve exit speeds and straight line acceleration to get Wilson up to speed faster then before, even though he'll have more wind drag with a splitter/spoiler.

The soft springs will be my biggest problem, but I think it'll also be fun & playful!
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!!

How do you plan on doing your active wing mechanism?
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FastEddie,
It's too early to tell, but going to looking into using the oem pop up headlight mech to change the angle of the wing. Was considering the window regulator but not going to work.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! The steel panels from Rod Louvers came soon!

2 months ago I decided to vent the steel hood in the following area so that it would remain rigid, but then lost focus.

I think my decision to buy professional louvers will pay off. This is what I was thinking. I will cut out panels from the hood then tack weld them in flush, so that it looks like a factory hood.

Of course I will remove the driving lights & pop ups then re-design my aero headlights. Not a priority this weekend though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: