Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Experience with Vibra Technics Fast Road motor mounts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johann  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Experience with Vibra Technics Fast Road motor mounts Reply with quote

In my never ending quest of making my 931 better I want to install a fresh set of engine mounts. These as I am sure you are aware are NLA from Porsche.

My search on the web always brings me to Vibra Technics

Does anybody have experience with these mounts? Or can you recommend any alternatives?

Last edited by Johann on Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Cedric  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend them if it wasn't for a track car, even with fast road compound there are lots of vibration, especially after a couple of years in duty. But when you drive hard the response in the drive train is significantly better.
Johann  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know of an alternative Cédric?
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock ones are nla. Plus the springs can snap and fail on used ones.

If your car is a street cruiser then source the stock mount. If you want to drive hard then go Vibratechnics. But as Cedric says, there will be added vibration into e chassis.
Johann  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Carrera RSR.

I tend to drive quite hard, I don't mind vibration. On my 964 I am running RS motor mounts and have no issue with them.

What I don't want is resonance.

I have also found these

But I think these are even harder than the vibratechnics.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with Vibratechnics. I have fast road on my car. My cabin is noisy due to many factors so I can't tell you if they are noisy over stock.
Johann  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: I think I hate my new motor mounts... Reply with quote

Cedríc, you were right...

I have now driven about 200km on my new Vibratechnics fast road motor mounts and I am very unhappy with them. They have introduced a massive amount of vibration and drone to the cabin and I have resonance when cruising at ~100kph in 5th i.e. around 2500rpm.

At higher revs they are comparable to stock, but at idle and normal puttering around in traffic they are simply horrible.

I have a Porsche 964 with factory RS motor mounts and it is nowhere close to being as harsh as the 924 now is with the Vibratechnics. It is so bad I am thinking of putting back my stock mounts.

Have you guys had the same experience? Is there some trick to installing these mounts, or getting them to settle, that I don't know about?
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have solid or poly bushes throughout the coilover suspension/chassis, no engine bay or interior sound deadening and a straight through exhaust. So I can't give a direct feedback on the Vibratechnics as they are lost in the overall noise and vibration in the car, which given its modified state, isn't a big issue for me. I did over 400kms in it last weekend, so its not just a fast road and track only car. I know others have them on non modified 931's without issue.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mm, they seem to stiffen up a bit with time aswell. Not recommended for a std car as I said. Maybe ask vibratechnics if they could do some softer rubber, they do sell the rubber separately. They are easy to change.
Johann  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now driven about 700km on these new mounts. I have been cruising around town, driven some twisties and have even been hitting V-max on the autobahn.

My verdict is that they are horrible and have ruined my car. The drone is ever present and the vibration is way more than acceptable on a car that is not 100% track focused. So the Vibra Technics are coming out again this weekend and the old mounts are going back in. A complete waste of money

I really wish there was another alternative though. An engine mount is really not that special, why is nobody making a mount to match stock
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll hate my car then. Everything drones and vibrates
Dutch924-racer  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also remounted the original ones (my car is a 70% track car).

I did swap the spring for a new one, that made the original mount much better.
Fast road camshaft
Forge recirculation valve + boost controller
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch924-racer wrote:
I have also remounted the original ones (my car is a 70% track car).

I did swap the spring for a new one, that made the original mount much better.

Thinking of doing the same on my street/track car, even though i love the drive train response with the vibra mounts, they are just a bit to much. I filled the gearbox mounts with PU, that worked rally well, thinking of doing the same with the stock mounts instead.
gegge  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original design is probably there for a reason. I filled my right engine mount with PU. Best bang for the buck.

924 turbo -81 Carrera GT RESTOMOD
924 turbo -80 Dolomite De Luxe
924 -85 DP kit, BBS RS, M030 and tuned engine
924s -86 Black on black turbo with Fuchs
Johann  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday afternoon after another 30km drive in an average speed controlled area at 100kph I finally snapped. The Vibra-Technics mounts have made me dislike my 931 so much so, that instead of grabbing the 931 for an errand I actually started taking the Subaru of my wife

I had some correspondence with Vibra-Technics and they advised loosening the nuts and letting the car idle so that it can settle. I tried that, but that did not bring any improvement. Even at tick over the vibration is so much that my steering wheel rattles and you can feel the vibration through your heel.

So Friday afternoon after work I headed to our workshop and started swapping them out again for my old mounts.

After four hours I could start the car again and I am blown away by the difference. The car feels civilised again. No rattles and no resonance at tick over. I then took her out for a brisk drive and I have to admit that I do not think that the stock mounts are any worse in stabilising the drivetrain than the Vibra-Technics. I really did not notice much difference during high speed cornering or braking. Thankfully, the resonance and crazy vibration is now gone. Bliss

Maybe I am spoilt by still having factory mounts in good condition, because I struggle to understand how so many people on this board and others are so impressed by the improvement the Vibra_Technics brings over stock.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: