Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Dan's (IDEOLA) 931 Intercooler kit kicks royal #ss!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
canyonblaster  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Dan's (IDEOLA) 931 Intercooler kit kicks royal #ss! Reply with quote

Have to post! Dan sourced everything my car needed, and shipped it all to my door. My tech installed and Dan was super helpful coaching him on the unique aspects of the 931.

Well....my car is now running 10 PSI, perfect AFR, and is VERY quick. So much fun to drive now. I am guessing 180-190 crank HP, EZ. Now I feel like I need a little more braking...I drive it hard. A good problem to have to solve....

Thanks Dan!
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great success!!, any plans on going to the dyno? Is the fuel system standard? Any pics of the installation with the radiatior?

I can really recommend Hawk brake pads, I have been running the HP+ for track days for many years with great sucess, never had any fade at all and they last long aswell. They need a couple of hard brakes to get up to temp but after that the bite is great. And of course, always have fresh seals and well lubricated sliding surfaces in the calipers !
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Dan's (IDEOLA) 931 Intercooler kit kicks royal #ss! Reply with quote

canyonblaster wrote:
Have to post! Dan sourced everything my car needed, and shipped it all to my door. My tech installed and Dan was super helpful coaching him on the unique aspects of the 931.

Well....my car is now running 10 PSI, perfect AFR, and is VERY quick. So much fun to drive now. I am guessing 180-190 crank HP, EZ. Now I feel like I need a little more braking...I drive it hard. A good problem to have to solve....

Thanks Dan!

Curious question...Which did you get, air or water???? Dan has given us choices
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
canyonblaster  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water, with pump & radiator. Bell brand I/C
canyonblaster  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cédric wrote:
Great success!!, any plans on going to the dyno? Is the fuel system standard? Any pics of the installation with the radiatior?

I can really recommend Hawk brake pads, I have been running the HP+ for track days for many years with great sucess, never had any fade at all and they last long aswell. They need a couple of hard brakes to get up to temp but after that the bite is great. And of course, always have fresh seals and well lubricated sliding surfaces in the calipers !

Yes, I have a front set of those new in the box. I am thinking about swapping them now. I think I should prob get new rotors at same time. Dan says stock rotors are fine. Any thoughts?

Any source for braided lines?
Cedric  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive used some cheap std discs and they seems to hold up fine. To stretch pad life on track even further ive thought about maybe adding some cooling lines, but so far ive been to lazy

Can't remember where i bought my lines, maybe paragon many years ago.
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words I would love to see some photos of the completed installation.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Dan's (IDEOLA) 931 Intercooler kit kicks royal #ss! Reply with quote

canyonblaster wrote:
now running 10 PSI, perfect AFR, and is VERY quick.

Did you have to do anything interesting to achieve this perfect AFR or did your CIS tuned to OEM spec just give perfect AFR up to 10psi?

BTW when I did mine I remember that just the IC at stock boost felt like another 10-20 HP from the denser air charge, and felt like it was so much smoother and healthier sounding/feeling on boost pulling to redline..
And my before IC extremely HOT intake and charge tubes that you could fry eggs on was now cool enough to put your face on after hard runs.. Actaully a hard run would cool down the intake VS heatsoak from idling or slow driving, right after a hard run it would be cold cold..

It will actually eat more air at the same boost because now that air is denser.. on the intake side of the IC where boost is measured.. Same pressure - more air..

But, what I was going to say in the first place, wen I started turning up the boost little by little, I'd notice a little change, little more change, little more change, and then when I got to about 10- 13psi WHAM it felt like it hit a sweet spot and hit like a sledgehammer.. And then 13 to 15 psi was kinda just a little more change.. IDK why but that's what my butt told me..

That was with a 931 S1 compressor that ended up lunching itself.. So I put on a 951 S1 k26/6 compressor.. This 951 compressor you can really feel and hear it come into that sweet spot..
Stock boost eh.. Little more boost eh.. Nothing special.. But then all of a sudden you get to a point where just a little more boost on the gauge seems to make it spool up in a different way..
All of a sudden at just a little more boost on the gauge you can hear that compressor spool up another 20-30k RPM and WHAM sledgehammer.. That sweet spot..

I'm not sure what's causing this exactly, like the turbo's themselves have a powerband where you get them to rev up so much and all of a sudden they come on the pipe like a 2-smoke..

You having an S2 931 with a touch higher compression you should spool up a bit faster than me and make a bit more power at the same RPM/boost. And coupled with an original S2 compressor (if that' what your running), you should be spooling up lots faster than me and are probably hitting that sledgehammer sweet spot at a lower boost and RPM also..

Mine with a k26/6 compressor and lower S1 compression won't spool until about 2850 rpm, even if you brake torque it I might get it to spool at 2650 RPM but less than that and it's just not going to happen..
What is yours like in this respect? What RPM will your setup spool at?
Did you get a chance to feel the difference at stock boost before and after the IC and feel the difference slowly turning up the boost? Did you find a boost level where it seemed to come wild alive?
You are running an S2 compressor right?

Another advantage of your setup vs mine is that I had to add a LOT more pressurized intake tract volume to my system before the AFM which I believe has inadvertently effected the starting performance of my car..

It just doesn't start up the same just hitting the key with no throttle input, takes more cranks and a touch of throttle helps it start now I think because my AFM is so far away from the engine now and it has to move a lot more air to deflect the plate and very low cfm flow like starting the car..

IDK man, have fun and enjoy your new car, because for me it was like a whole new car feeling..

Not only will your IC improve performance but I really think it will greatly improve the longevity of these engines, knocking down those insanely high IATs, mine feels like it runs a lot healthier/cooler at any boost than before with no IC..

931 reliability mod? - add an IC.. 4 serious

A good IC..
I don't like the idea of a top mount air 2 air much because I think it will blow people up..
With one of those you tune the boost up for when the IC is working and it's a happy car.. Then you putt around and heatsoak that IC going slow/stopped and then your probably even worse off with high IATs than with no IC, so your IC is hot and boost turned up, you take off and eeekkk extremely bad engine conditions ripe for blowing shit up..

Your top mount air to water probably won't heatsoak like that so you will have nice cool IATs right out of the gate with no current speed/airflow needed to cool your IATs that even a FMIC air to air doesn't provide..

I think your top mount A2W beats a top mount A2A every way other than weight, and beats a front mount A2A in every way other than performance at speed when I think the FMIC will do a little better and weight but to a lesser extent.. But when coupled with CIS the FMIC is at another disadvantage due to the AFMs intake sensitivity that makes the FMIC effect my starting a bit..

Congrats on the huge upgrade man, and tell us all about what it feels like and how it acts.. And pics!!
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Dan's (IDEOLA) 931 Intercooler kit kicks royal #ss! Reply with quote

canyonblaster wrote:
Now I feel like I need a little more braking...I drive it hard. A good problem to have to solve....

Tell ya what..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disc-Brake-Caliper-Premium-Semi-Loaded-Caliper-Front-Right-fits-91-93-Volvo-240-/172388332446?fits=Make%3AVolvo%7CModel%3A240&hash=item282325339e:g:Ua4AAOSwMVdYEfOx&vxp=mtr

These volvo 240 4 pot brake calipers, the ones from the early 90's from cars that had ABS, will bolt right on the front of your car and hook right up to your OEM brake lines..

Look for the ones with only 1 brake line input (early 90's abs 240's) and they will drop right on with no fussing around with anything and are CHEAP and match the OEM 931 brake bias to a T..

I fought with some older/narrower non-abs versions for a while to make them work on my car, and then discovered the ABS ones, and the fat lady sung..

Got the ABS calipers set for $10!! used, then swapped the brand new pistons and seals from the wrong calipers I bought, $80 iirc, presto, beast brakes..

They work great just swapping the front calipers... It is an improvement..

But now I have a willwood adjustable brake bias valve that is going by my shifter. I have to reroute the brake lines for front/rear split (have the lines and splitter too), then send the rear brake line into the cabin by my shifter, valve, then line to the rear and split it for the rears, I need to get a set of front calipers off of a 4 lug 924 yet that are supposed to bolt on to my 931 rears, which will give me TOO much rear brake bias, which I can then turn down with the bias valve and have a good adjustment range to tune them just how I want for f/r bias..

That is the direction I'm going, but knowing you you'll probably have 951 brembo's all around and a willwood dual master pedal box before I know it

BTW, the volvo calipers also have ebs, hawk, and other pad options.. So do brembos ofcourse..

Then again people here say that stock 931 brakes with hawks are plenty blah blah blah, but those same people are running brembos... Sooo... Who knows..

Last edited by Fasteddie313 on Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:40 am; edited 2 times in total
ideola  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Dan's (IDEOLA) 931 Intercooler kit kicks royal #ss! Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:
I don't like the idea of a top mount air 2 air much because I think it will blow people up..

Horses for courses, as the saying goes...

A2A is better for long extended on-boost runs such as heavy track use or Autobahn driving.

L2A is better for street use with short but frequent boost runs.

I agree with you about the 10-12PSI range being a sweet spot.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canyonblaster wrote:
now running 10 PSI, perfect AFR, tand is VERY quick.

What AFR? Surprised it would be perfect on boost. Great news the butt dyno is giving great results. Interested to learn the bhp if you dyno it.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Factory brakes are very capable, hundreds complete with them every weekend. You might consider investigating some different pads/fluid before committing to a caliper change.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
Factory brakes are very capable, hundreds complete with them every weekend. You might consider investigating some different pads/fluid before committing to a caliper change.

+1

Oem discs with Mintex 1144, 1155 pads with racing blue fluid. All to easy to lock up with these, no fade.
canyonblaster  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry for slow reply. I will post link(s) to new pics asap. We have had fortunate warm clear skies and little snow, great driving weather! Yet, busy work time for me. I have been enjoying every spare hour or two I can shaking down the car on the local back road canyons. Car is running like a horse released, so much stronger. I may have had a weak waste gate prior to this upgrade. So I may be going from below stock (7 psi?), to new & inter-cooled 10 psi, so I may be extra happy? Just really fun to drive now. Also, was away from the car while the best local Porsche/collector car trim shop in town trimmed in my AFR & Vac/Boost gauges into my dash setup. This 931 is running proud. Funny thing is I now need a middle exhaust as mine is rattling and needs a fix..constant chase but a really fun car.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canyonblaster wrote:
Funny thing is I now need a middle exhaust as mine is rattling and needs a fix..constant chase but a really fun car.

Ditch the centre muffler and run a straight pipe. You need as limited back pressure/muffling as possible. Will help the early spool up. Noise is limited as the turbo muffles a lot of the exhaust bark.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: