Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Gramps Unleashed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the cam grinding, I'm referring to making the base circle smaller. When googling I found this and was impressed by the fellows answer... the very long answer... although not all applies to the Porsche engine. https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071019000014AA0T8uQ
XLR8  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noahs944 wrote:
Well all I said was I'm thinking about it. There are several other aspects that need research. Such as clutch/bellhousing/input shaft/ign/engine mounts/harness adaption, etc.

Common belief is the n/a CIS can be used for a built 2.0 (150-160 hp). Well that's stock 2.5 territory.

My exploration into the swap will reveal more. If you've already done this research then feel free to post the info. In the end I think I'll just rebuild the stock 2.0. (It's leaking and someone appears to have stripped out all of the allen bolt heads from one end to the other). Nice

Apologies, I did not mean to discourage you AND I misread what you were planning on doing. I thought you were putting CIS into a 944!

I too dream of more power for my NA, but the $ and frustration that my research has uncovered seems to point to persisting with the NA. Just about everything else requires a full drivetrain swap ...

If you did put the 2.5 in the NA shell (+ crossmember + torque tube + tranny) then it's not a huge effort to put EFI onto that engine. Less stuff in the engine bay as well.

My $0.02 (having not done either).
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely no apology necessary mate. Perhaps I was too subtle.

---------

Update: I have it on good authority that the 79 928 intake manifold is too tall to fit under the hood of the '24/'44.

Last edited by Noahs944 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Power Tryp  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat read.

If you plan on doing head modification and cam work, boy have I got a deal for you on a decent head and a cam core to practice on.

Just let me know.

Green tartan interior, you don't see that on a Civic.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Main Bearings? Reply with quote

Ummm, how does a guy find crankshaft main bearings for the 2.0? Seems like no one has them
Power Tryp  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EBSracing doesn't have any? You may be relegated to ordering from Mittelmotor in Germany.

morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Bearings? Reply with quote

Noahs944 wrote:
Ummm, how does a guy find crankshaft main bearings for the 2.0? Seems like no one has them

what happend?
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some piston rings from EBS last week and Troy said he had the main bearings.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Bearings? Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
Noahs944 wrote:

what happend?

Nothing. Except Gramps is dripping a lot of oil. I can't tell exactly where it is coming from... so right now, my plan is to: repair the fuel system so he doesn't act up when hot. Once reliable, dis assemble the 2.0 and try to up his power out put by another 20%.

Thanks Mike and PT for the tips.
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it smoking or is it leaking out?
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very minor smoking, but major oil leakage. As best I can tell, it's front crank seal, oil pan gasket and rear main dripping. All oil pan gasket and front pulley bolts are rounded out. Records show main bearings and rear main were done but... the workmanship is so crappy I don't trust any of it.

It's very possible I mis-diagnosed the head gasket a few months ago, as I didn't find actual damage to the gasket.

-----

GOOD NEWS: called EBS Racing and they have in stock std and oversize main bearings AWESOME.

Bad news is the wife told me I need to cough up $3000 for hail damage repairs... so I am re-assessing everything due to finances.

Honestly I like the 2.0 litre... it's a cute little engine & I think it has potential
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main bearings also here:
http://garage.ideola.com/prod-EngineRebuildKits.html#block

I provided the samples and went in with EBS to get that last run of bearings made, FWIW.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your valuable add, Dan!

Question: if you wanted to up the compression to say 11.5:1 (using stock pistons), is this possible on the na 2.0l by merely shaving the head, or is shaving the block required?
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noahs944 wrote:
Question: if you wanted to up the compression to say 11.5:1 (using stock pistons), is this possible on the na 2.0l by merely shaving the head, or is shaving the block required?

DO NOT shave the head! The NA head is a heron style head, meaning it is flat, with no combustion chamber in the head itself. You will not gain a single point of compression by shaving the head, you will only affect your ability to properly tension the timing belt.

Have you seen my compression ratio calculator?
http://garage.ideola.com/top-DL-CompressionRatioCalc.html

If you start with US-spec long block from 1980-82, you have 9.0:1 CR pistons to start with. Assuming you don't want to go to the expense of finding Euro-spec pistons, or swapping in something aftermarket or custom, this is your best starting point.

You can gain another 0.4 points of compression by using a Cometic .027" head gasket.

If you take the block down to 230.0mm, you gain 2 whole points of compression, so that would put you at 11.4:1.

So that's how you do it.

If you remove that much material from the block, you should consider an adjustable cam gear to dial in cam timing.
Power Tryp  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I have exactly that short block sitting around taking up space. How funny is that?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: