Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Gramps Unleashed
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: Gramps Unleashed Reply with quote

Gramps unleashed

This thread is dedicated to any modifications I do to Gramps (the 78 924 non turbo). The picture above is a bit of a beautiful joke (photo credit: the interwebs), however, because I don't plan on making Gramps into a "Giant Killer"... he's more of an everyday sportscar, but some things aren't quite up to snuff IMHO.
Power Tryp  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following.

Green tartan interior, you don't see that on a Civic.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh... I could stare at that picture for hours... before the days of carbon fibre when an english wheel & pop rivets & sand bags were handled frequently.

------------

The heater fan hasn't the best reputation and I found the body had several cracks in it. Repair: I'm going to patch it up so it was better than before, but here's the "hot Rod" solution that I'm hoping will work:

Extending the 5 fins by about 25%. Riveted & glued on with a strong bonding agent. I'm excited to try it!! :p

morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thats going to be interesting
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the fan works better & there is not any extra vibration/noise. I also bypassed the variable resister (or whatever you call the dash level control for fan speed) & plugged in the ground directly to the fan motor & that made a big difference in fan speed. Now when ever the key is on then I have full fan power. Will probably install a switch for that. I don't like the cable/control set up. The whole heater set up is crap.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately my preference for engine performance is torque. Lower rpm hair pin turns is what I've been dealing with and rallye style driving has captured my imagination & desire. And torque is nice to kick the back end around.

Since I have two cars (Gramps and Wilson) that I drive a lot, I notice where each car shines. Gramps is far easier to get into & out of. His seats are factory '44 Recaros. So nice. His engine is a far cry from the 2.5 litre though. So I've been exploring some options.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a nut shell (I'm running out of time this morning & must go to work):

I have 944 2.5 engine parts; enough to consider placing the Porsche 2.5 in place the 2.0. I am considering converting the mechanical CIS fuel injection system from Gramps to the larger engine. What sort of job would this be & what are the results?

The back of my mind worked on it & the search engine confirmed: The 1979 928 model was CIS & look at the CIS injector on what appears to be a 2.5 head. It is possible the injector could be a true bolt in.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=dnl20v45zlnkdlnmz4wvesmu&makeid=800019@Porsche&modelid=1263338@928%20&year=1978&cid=103@Fuel%20Delivery%20%26%20Fuel%20Injection%20Repairs&gid=6224@Fuel%20Injector

Power Tryp  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't happen to have a spare 944 intake manifold do you? I should have a set of unknown quality 924 fuel injectors. They should be almost identical dimension wise (unless someone knows better than I do) and we could see how they might fit.

nickthompson  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If no one else will say it I will. This possibly one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power Tryp wrote:
You don't happen to have a spare 944 intake manifold do you? I should have a set of unknown quality 924 fuel injectors. They should be almost identical dimension wise (unless someone knows better than I do) and we could see how they might fit.

yuppers
Power Tryp  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me see where those are... they should still be in that NA head I have.

XLR8  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickthompson wrote:
If no one else will say it I will. This possibly one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

Translated: "An interesting experiment, but likely to produce an uninspiring outcome after hours of frustration."
nickthompson  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XLR8 wrote:
nickthompson wrote:

Translated: "An interesting experiment, but likely to produce an uninspiring outcome after hours of frustration."

More like "if you're going through the trouble of doing an engine swap it worth while"
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well all I said was I'm thinking about it. There are several other aspects that need research. Such as clutch/bellhousing/input shaft/ign/engine mounts/harness adaption, etc.

Common belief is the n/a CIS can be used for a built 2.0 (150-160 hp). Well that's stock 2.5 territory.

My exploration into the swap will reveal more. If you've already done this research then feel free to post the info. In the end I think I'll just rebuild the stock 2.0. (It's leaking and someone appears to have stripped out all of the allen bolt heads from one end to the other). Nice

Or I might put the Motronic ecm & harness in with the 2.5. Right now Gramps is finally parked on the street & Wilson the white 944 finally gets some well deserved garage time!
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I rebuild him I will try to bump the compression to 11.5:1, I will regrind the camshaft on the bench with common hand tools & perform my first port job and get the flywheel lightened. Probably add what? 20-25 hp? All for pretty cheap. But will it last? Will it work is the question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: