Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Saved 2 924's from being scrapped but needs help.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newbie924  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Saved 2 924's from being scrapped but needs help. Reply with quote

Hello men, a few months ago I managed to purchase for a good price 2 924's and a load of parts, one has a very good body which is primed for paint yet has half an engine and no brakes , while the other has a very good engine and a very good webber conversion and was possibly going to be used as a part car according to the wife of the previous owner who unfortunately passed away about 2/3 years ago. The primed car was to be converted into a race car as far as I can understand after taking some parts from the parts car.

I am trying to find time to finish off the 'primed' car into some sort of historic rally/race car for events over here. So I might need some help form gurus on this forum.. first thing i would like to ask is if it is possible to remove and refit the cylinder head without dismantling it... since the Porsche Haynes manual describes the dismantling of the head before removal. I believe this can be done on other makes of vehicles. Any guidance will be appreciated.
newbie924  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking thru the forum here which is quite good in detailed information I have found this post which answers my question... http://924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=36044
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea the info is here you just have to dig for it.
newbie924  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will save me a lot of work Morghen.. manual describes the dis assembly of the head before removal... Now I have to search if I can remove the rear brake drums as an assembled unit.... saving time on disassembly from one and re -assembly on the other.. I think it could be done if the four bolts which retain the back plate to the back axle are removed.. hoping everything will stay in place and not kind of disolve in my face comically .Im not trying to cut corners just trying to save time on a rebuild of a 924. First move though will have to set them in one space.
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think more people will help if they see a picture of the car
newbie924  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would a picture of the car make a difference Morghen?? They are not much to see as are actually... no idea how to upload here either, and to be honest i dont think I have any pictures yet.. they are not very photogenic at the moment either being half dismantled etc.
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just kidding, but pictures help words come out, its a fact
newbie924  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true,, showing what your doing helps... I tend to take pictures of some stuff before dismantling .. for example I will definetly picture document the webber installation on the part car before I remove it.. although I seem to know where everything is going it would be a good idea to have references. I will though have to eliminate the fuel regulator which regulates the fuel pressure since I think the fuel comes via the Porsche fuel pump which I believe is high pressure. I would be attaching a normal carb fuel pump on the 'good' car see how that works.. tomorrow i tend to make space for the part car at my storage since I think it would be better having them close when dismantling and re- assemblying. Would like to add a few rally type switches for things like the fuel pump , ignition and other things too. Making the car look a bit more well prepped than it truely is. Hoping that everything goes well getting the stuff together.
newbie924  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/newbie924/media/12734011_1793436534217737_3643083964161487063_n_zpsxwg9fomw.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Last edited by newbie924 on Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total
newbie924  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newbie924 wrote:
[img]http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/newbie924/media/12734011_1793436534217737_3643083964161487063_n_zpsxwg9fomw.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1[/img]

Dont know if I got it right but this is the primed Porsche 924 I aquired a few months ago.. the photo I think was taken some time ago.
newbie924  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is much better..
morghen  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can take the head off without dismantling it.
Its more difficult to take it off with the manifolds attached but its not impossible. You can take the manifolds off tho and things are much easier.
In the back of the head there are a couple of sensors, take care not to break those.
newbie924  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think I would be using the sensors or sensor attachment on the other car since I want to go with carbs,,, the parts car head has a set of 40's attached but I have a set of 45's which I can attache too.. the 40's work fine on the parts car though...

Today I made time to clear space at my storage so that I can lay both cars together which i think is a better idea than having one car at one place and the other car at another especially since i would be dismantling from one and putting on the other. I also managed to tidy up the first car's car engine bay and take a few photos.
newbie924  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first cars engine bay which has been spray painted in matt black,, imo the best colour for a 'race'minded cars engine bay.

newbie924  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dash board was originally in brown but has been reworked in a black semi gloss colour with grey touchings,,, two colours that go together I think.

The pedals have been updated to OMP stuff, the gear level knob has also been changed but I have no idea what make it is,, all I can say is that it is of very high quality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: