Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924 vs 924 Turbo Steering shaft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bear924  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: 924 vs 924 Turbo Steering shaft Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have noted that the 924 and 924 turbo (right hand drive) steering shafts have different part numbers. Being

478 419 951C - 924

478 419 951D- 924 Turbo

Does anyone know if these shafts are actually different. The turbo ones seem to sell for more however I can't find any information on the difference.

Thanks
bear924  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Of course after I posted I kept looking and did find a reference here .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:28 am Post subject: Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep LHD and RHD are different lengths, LHD N/A and Turbo are the same length and then the right hand drive turbo (and GT) have yet again different length shaft, as RHD turbo and GT cross member is different from the RHD N/A cross member

If anyone has a view on replacing or rebuilding steering shafts I'd be interested to hear it. Have spoken to some machine shops about rebuilding however no one has accepted the job.
RC  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a rare as rocking horse shit VW beetle or super beetle shaft that is within about 5mm length. Also many other VW shafts with same uni joint ends. Search some old posts on the subject here & go shopping.

Then the unwanted VW 15mm splined shaft is pressed out, the unis are bored out to a 16mm interference fit, and I use a 16mm stainless steel shaft, pressed in at the correct angle. Then secured by pinning with solid 6mm & riveted ends. I`m willing to machine & replace your whole shaft. It is not even possible, let alone viable, to rebuild the OE shafts. BTDT years ago and no problems since.

Allan @ DTA wrote:
I have no issue with superchargers, they are for guys who want to drive a car rather than talk about horsepower with their baseball cap on backwards
bear924  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up RC.

I went down the route of using borgenson joints and shafts as discussed in various rennlist posts.

What I found was that the joints fitted shafts perfectly, joints are really sturdy, however the joints are not able to achieve the required angle for a RH drive 924 turbo.

With a little bit of delicate shaving you can make them work however I'm still on the fence about whether I will try an alternative option.

So frustrating that the universals can't be purchased individually, did look at some VW part suppliers I've had success with in the past, some of which seemed to once sell the universals individually however no longer do.

Thanks for you input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: