Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

chevy big block 360

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lizard  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys I am going to be getting a parts car that I want the engine out of but I have a 360 sitting in a truck that used to run, so i figured rebuild the engine get the flywheel pressure plate and clutch disc weld or modify the bellhousing and get it attached but will this engine fit in cause this will make a very nice dune buggey
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No f*%!ink way. TOO wide..... TOO heavy. Or I mean...... yeah it's a straight drop in.

Too
Lizard  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so that is a no then
Cbass  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends. Is it a Dodge 360? If it is, it's not a big block, and it would fit. Of course, you'd have to do the whole drivetrain conversion thing, but it's not like it's any wider or longer than a small block Chevy or Ford...
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cbass: I'm confused too. The post topic says Chevy big block 360, but I've never even heard of a Chevy 360.

Lizard, are you sure it's a big block? Or sure it's a 360? Are you sure it's a Chevy? If it is a big block, it'll never fit.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend was convinced he had a 350 big block in his Impala... When I tried to explain that the 350 is the chevy smallblock, he started freaking out, it was really funny.

I don't think Chevrolet ever made a 360 big block. I know Chrysler made a 360 smallblock...
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry my mistake it is actually a ford 360
Cbass  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Ford made a 352 big block, which was the earliest FE block. It could be a overbored 352 I guess. What year is the truck?
Jrod-13  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ford 360 is member of the FE engine family, which includes the 332, 352, 360, 361(heavy truck motor), 390, 391(heavy truck), 406, 410, 427, and 428 motors.
The last year was sometime in the mid 70's. They were used in trucks, and have lower compression and very strong rotating assembly. The FE was the size of a big block physicly, but had uncanted valve like a small block. 30 years ago, the performance availible from a FE was unreal, but in modern days the parts are becoming few and far between.

As for a chevy 360. There was such a motor, but was used in heavy trucks, mainly single axle dump trucks. Being that it was a gas motor, it was underpowered for most work, and had durability problems.
Paul  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do what a VW Golf owner did to fit a 928 motor. He removed all the glass and cut the car in half length wise, then widened the car about 10 inches and had custom glass made.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
You could do what a VW Golf owner did to fit a 928 motor. He removed all the glass and cut the car in half length wise, then widened the car about 10 inches and had custom glass made.
that is just crazy
Paul  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You catch on fast.
78 924 N/a  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:

What a great idea! I'm going to get started cutting right now. gunna see how long it takes plasma cutter!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: