Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

My third 924 is a 931 restore thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: Merry Christmas Reply with quote

We opened gifts and had dinner last night so today was very casual. First I installed a new dish washer. Then went under to house to pull a failed sump pump. Household chores done I went to the shop to do some brake work on the 931. I siphoned off the brake fluid in the reservoir, clamped off the clutch supply hose and pulled that off the master cylinder. There was quite a bit of junk in the reservoir so I sprayed that out real good with brake cleaner. Then I pulled the hard lines off the MC and it had some rust so I cleaned it up. I've got a MC rebuild kit on order so I set that aside. Then I'm on my back in the floor board removing the nuts to get the brake booster off. It's a tight squeeze wrestling the booster out of the engine bay but I finally get that on the bench. there's quite a bit of brake fluid in the bottom of the booster so the seals on the MC were failing. Now is a great time to replace the breather hose from the crank case to the AOS. It's still a challenge to get to the clamp and it's turned in THE WORST possible position to get the clamp loose. I basically ripped the hose out, got one very painful turn on the clamp and then wiggled it off the pipe in the block. When I replace that hose there will be a clamp on there that you can get to. You can bet on that! When I get the replacement hose and MC kit, I'll put all this back together.

Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Han. . .you're dead to me.
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
Han. . .you're dead to me.

Crap! What am I going to do without you sage advise Rasta
Lefty  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Han,
I'm loving your work.
I read the 914 posts first, excellent reading.
Now this, can't wait to see how this ends up.
Thanks fir the inspiration,
Cheers
Lefty
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lefty wrote:
Han,
I'm loving your work.
I read the 914 posts first, excellent reading.
Now this, can't wait to see how this ends up.
Thanks fir the inspiration,
Cheers
Lefty

You're too kind sir. I try to keep the posts interesting and beyond "first I did this and then I did this". Putting a little emotion in there helps but nobody wants too much drama.

You're welcome Lefty
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Master cylinder fun Reply with quote

So the kit I got was almost a one-for-one match. 92835591300. It came complete with seals, pistons, cir-clip, etc. I got up early this morning and dis-assembled the master cylinder and laid everything out in order. There was some funk indeed inside that joker. Then I laid out the kit parts and started re-assembling from the bottom of the cylinder. I noted a slight difference in the two pistons from OE but was able to get the seals in the correct order and orientation. The first piston was the first spring attached by a small security torx screw (which I don't have) so i cleaned that up really good and re-used it. There's a seal retaining clip that would have come off with that spring but I was able to replace that seal by sliding it on from the other end of the piston. The kit came with some lube for the cylinder and that helped everything slide nicely back together. Getting the MC back onto the booster was uneventful as was putting the brake lines back on. I used the lube on the new grommets for the reservoir and the grommet on the check valve. The old feed hose to the clutch MC gave out when I started adding fluid so I replaced that. Thankfully the fluid in the clutch MC stayed high enough that I didn't get any air in that system. So now I'm using my power bleeder to get the air out of the brake lines. The brake peddle firms up okay. Put the wheels back on, get all the vaccum hoses back on, take the car off jacks, shoot a little either (didn't have to jump the fuel pumps) and start the car up. It's a cold morning so I let it get good a warm before taking it out for a test drive. Damn, the brake peddle goes spongy. So back to the garage for another bleed. Just a few bubbles out of the rear lines. So I'm going for a nice long drive down the back roads where I live and I'm still not happy with how these brakes feel. I'm not loosing any fluid. When I start the car with my foot on the brake peddle it does depress slightly (good booster and check valve). My buddy suggested that it could be the old rubber brake hoses swelling with pressure. Those are definitely toasty so I'll look into replacing them. I'm glad I was able to run the car for a good hour and maybe that helped cleanse out the fuel system some more

Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue with the master cylinder rebuild kit having different Pistons. Seeing as the rebuild kit was £60 and a new MC was £100 I returned the kit and bought the new MC.
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrera RSR wrote:
I had the same issue with the master cylinder rebuild kit having different Pistons. Seeing as the rebuild kit was £60 and a new MC was £100 I returned the kit and bought the new MC.

Do you know if the MC is the same as early 944 or 924S?
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Han Solo wrote:
Carrera RSR wrote:

Do you know if the MC is the same as early 944 or 924S?

No idea. I believe they are different because of the brake light switches. Could be wrong.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, different (stepped) bores.

+1 on the new MC.
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Suspension goodies Reply with quote

I found a smokin' deal on front Koni struts, rear Koni shocks and rear sway bar with bushings and hardware. The rear bar is 18 mm. I got those parts in yesterday evening and this evening I started taking a close look. The part numbers on the Konis match up with a 944 M474 package. The seller said they came off a '86 951 with 38,000 miles. Now remember that this 931 shipped without a rear sway bar so getting all the attaching hardware was huge. However, when I crawled under the car and looked - I'm not finding bolt holes for the brackets. I'm going to search for some photos that show exactly how the drop links and bar are orientated (yes, I did get the dual ended eccentric bolts). That bar was also a bit scratched, flaky so I wire brushed it down to bare metal, primed and painted it. Then I'm looking at the rear shocks and the bump stops are toasted so out those come. I also set them medium soft with compression and rebound feeling nice. The seller warned me that the struts wouldn't fit the early style front spindles and I confirmed that. The camber eccentric is 1/4" further from the lower mount bolt on the late struts compared to early struts. No worries, I'll simply unmount the OE struts, pull the shot shock inserts, paint the tubes Koni yellow and re-build with the M474 springs and Koni inserts. Probably use the 951 top mount too if they'll fit. Suspension work is mostly cake.

jazz guy  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your car wasn't originally equipped with a sway bar, your rear carrier won't have the mounts for it. You have a couple options:

Find a S2 931 or 944 rear carrier that has the mounts and swap carriers. (I went this route on the '82 because I was upgrading the torsion bars and had to pull the carrier anyway). You could also cut the mounts off a donor carrier and weld them to yours.

Or check out this thread: How to Install a Rear Sway Bar on a 924 without one. The thread outlines how to install a bar without the mounts. A few pages in, it also discusses purchasing new factory 944 mounts and welding them on.
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jazz Guy. I found that thread this morning and I'll be picking up some 3.5" exhaust clamps today. That's a quick, economical solution.
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: A day under the 931 Reply with quote

Well, not quite all day but all morning for sure. I had painted the rear sway bar a couple nights before and picked up the 3.5" clamps yesterday after work. So when I got up this morning I had everything I needed to get the rear suspension squared away. First I squeezed the clamps under the floor board and around the torsion carrier. That took a little hammering and prying as it's pretty tight under there. Then I marked and drilled the clamp closing bracket for the bolts joining the sway bar bracket. I used some 10 x 30 mm bolts and found the 13 mm heads were a tight fit in those clamp brackets. I spread that open a bit and pounded the bolts in and then used the 13 mm nuts to pull them tight. In fact I left those nuts under the sway bar brackets when I placed the bar over the exhaust, slid on the bushings and bolted the brackets down with another set of 13 mm nuts. Then I used my impact wrench to pull the one sided camber adjust bolts and put in the two sided ones that came with the sway bar. On goes the drop links and everything is tightened up nicely. Now on to the rear shocks which are very simple. The OE Boge shocks still have some compression but zero rebound. The Konis go on nicely and I'm done on the rear.

So the plan on the front was to pull the OE struts by using a floor jack on the control arm to compress the spring, pull out the OE shock insert and use the Koni inserts from the 951 struts. So I got the OE struts off and dis-assembled but needed to compress the spring on the 951 struts to take them apart. I just put the 951 top mount in the car and although the bracket won't fit on the spindle - I wedged the bottom of the strut on the control arm and used the jack to compress the spring. Worked fine and much quicker than spring compressors. But when I got the 951 strut tube to the bench I noticed that the cap on the tube has crimps and it appears that is a sealed strut. Crap! I'm disappointed but all is not lost. The Boge inserts have okay compression and the 951 springs are definitely heavier. So I cleaned up the 931 tubes, stuffed the OE Boge shocks back in and put the 951 springs on those struts. I also cleaned up the OE bump stops and dust covers and re-used those. And I used the 951 top mounts as those were in good condition. Noted that the OE springs were three blue marks and the 951 springs are two yellow marks. While putting the struts back on I went ahead a set camber full negative (probably about 1 degree).

The test drive following reassembly revealed some improvement with handling. The car doesn't body roll as much in turns and feels a bit stiffer. I will definitely get some single adjustable Koni inserts for those front struts however. Those and a 30 mm front sway bar

Han Solo  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Rocker fun Reply with quote

Today I removed the rocker covers for cleaning. I had noticed. while working under the car, that the bottom of of the rockers were pretty bent up from poor jack and lift placement. That was definitely the case on the passenger side so I set about bending that sheet metal back in to shape with locking pliers. I also noticed that most of the paint on that bottom strip was flaking off and exposed metal. I decided to strip that section and prime it to prevent corrosion. That area was not primed very well and the finish coat was applied directly to the metal at the factory. They just didn't shoot the rockers at the correct angle. Thank goodness for galvanized metal though. Very little corrosion was present. When I moved to the drivers side there was some body work that had been done the the lower front fender just in back of the wheel opening. That's a prime spot for road objects to monkey things up. The fender had been bent back into shape and there was about 1/8" of body filler. It's odd that a shop would do that in an area that's hidden by the rocker cover. Anyway, I stripped that area of paint and filler. Also stripped the same lower area all the way back to the rear wheel opening. After cleaning and wiping both sides with a tack cloth, I masked those areas off and sprayed primer.

Later we stopped by the 944 Orphanage and traded those 951 front shocks for some interior parts. Late 944 sun visors, a visor clip, passenger window switch bezel and dash gauge bezel. The visors installed easily and look much better than the OE with swollen foam. The passenger visor clip was missing so I replaced that but unfortunately the drivers side clip broke so now I'll have to get another for that side. The OE gauge bezel was cracked under the speedo so I pulled the steering wheel, pried out the bezel, disconnected and removed the gauges. Now the replacement bezel was from a 944 so it had a silver face. I scruffed that with sandpaper and sprayed it with satin black. I also had to drill out the right side idiot light position because the early 944 doesn't have the light. I'm letting that paint cure overnight and I'll put the gauges back in tomorrow.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: