Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

suspension setups
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cbass  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what sort of suspension setups have you guys run, and which ones worked the best for you?

I'm thinking 300lb springs, 26mm torsion bars. Suggestions? Stiff like hell, but it's not like anyone else will be driving it
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the stock setup. Seems fine to me.
John H  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the biggest improvements you guys can do if it hasn't already been doen is lower the back of the car. The US market cars had the back jacked up to meet your crash regs.
I've found that with the back set about 12mm lower than the front there is little transfer of weight in heavy braking (on the track) and with 300lb front springs (25mm shorter than stock as well), 27mm rear torsion bars(I think they been in the car since 87 so can't remember), larger front and rear sway bars (depends on the track as to what set up I run) koni external adjustable shocks all round the car corners really flat.

Not too harsh on the road on 60 profile tires, if I run the race tire setup of 50 profile you can notice it's a bit harsher and firmer. As the race tire is a soft compound I rarely run these on the road - I'd be lucky to get 5000 mile sout of them whereas the road tire (Bridgestone G-Grid's and old RE71's) have lasted around the 25,000 miles and still got quite a few more miles in them.

[ This Message was edited by: john h on 2002-08-27 16:21 ]
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh come on Cbass I know you want at least a 1100lb spring in the frint with some reall stiff coil overs in the back as well
numbers  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, as usual, I am with you. The first thing I did to my 931 was to lower the excentrics all of the way down. It looks much better, and handles better too.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where do you guys get the springs from or what dimensions are they so i know what size to get
81turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full Koni sport yellows (rear shocks are for 951 drilled trailing arms to fit them) 220lb progressive rate front springs lower 1.5in. Lowered the back to match the front. 23mm Front sway bar 21mm rear. 951 phone dials 225 50 16 and 205 55 16 Pirelli P7000 Super sports. Mintex brake pads (stops like mad) It's like riding on rails.
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

23mm front sways soon to be 25.5
22mm rear sways
rear lowered
Bilsteins all around
track 205 x 60 x 15 4 bolt
springs 250 lbs.

I have this set up on my track car and on my 79 931 except on the 31 I have 18 mm rear sways

I like both setups. Have had them on my track car for 20 years.
Joes924  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 lug 44 brakes lowered rear coil overs released tension on the torsion bars
bigger sway bars (25 mm front 27mm rear If I can findem I think so though) up front stock 944 strut spring or upgrade to 220lb or 300lb springs that are 11/2 to 27mm shorter and gabrial shocks with coilovers and struts
and 15" cookie cutter rims.. small front tire big rear tire.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think cookie cutters would fit...

I'd like coilovers, but they're too expensive, I have to budget for an engine rebuild and a new turbo as well...
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then just get good shocks - Konis or Bilsteins - and maybe swaybars if you've still got cash leftover. With bigger springs/t-bars you'll need good stiff shocks even more. Better to start with them, and have plenty of money to do the engine, worry about the springs later. Consider poly suspension bushings too, or at least new rubbers.

I'm running 400# springs front, 30mm t-bars rear, 19mm Cup Car bar rear, 23mm swaybar front. Konis all around, they're shot, going to get Bilstein custom-valved race shocks and struts this winter. Also have spherical a-arm bearings and some poly in the rear. It's a pure race car, very balanced. Hoosier 225/45/15 R3S03 race tires. Extremely stiff sidewalls. Very harsh ride, drives like a slot car.

'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Cbass  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some stiff suspension! Since this is going to be my daily driver, I need a more streetable setup

The Bilstein setup was used on the 944 cup cars, wasn't it? That was a helper coilover, with the torsion bars still there I believe. I figure if I'm spending money for new torsion bars, reindexing and everything, I might as well just swap to coilovers...

I like the idea of being able to swap springs for street and track days
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, coilovers are much easier and nicer to swap out. The Bilsteins were used on the 933 cars, actually, but yes, probably also on the 944 Cup cars. They'll be on my "944Cup" car!

'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Joes924  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive noticed with my tail so high it does sway into hard corners not flat at all really
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey joe when are you going to get a spoiler on that 924 of yours, one like mine it really makes the car
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: