Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

My 924 Turbo, up and running !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Cédric  



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Posts: 2080
Location: Sweden

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike9311 wrote:
Nice to finally see larger photos. That is a nice 931!

Good idea too, to print the battery hold down. Had not thought of that idea

Who is the gymnast? I see the rings.

Edit: also neat to see an F body over there


Great to see that these pics works, i havent have a good host for a while, which hampers the will to post a bit. Now that I know that you can see them i will try to put more of them here!

Anyway, the cars has been running great, and its so fun to be back at the wheel. A good thing with working from home (since march!) is that you can go on lunch trips on country road with your friends! I actually havent really had any issues, apart from the bolt to the distributor that i forgot to tighten. So it feels very nice to go into winter season with a car that actually works.

I switched to my WUR that was rebuilt by sepcial T many years ago, just because I had it, and also put new injectors in it. It seems to be running quite a bit leaner than last year, im not sure if it is because of the fuel system parts, the cold temp or the fact that all my boost leaks are fixed so more air goes through the engine

As you may have noticed I bought a 3d printer (Prusa MK3S), which is really fun, there will be many more car related prints further on, as you will see. Im working myself upwards with better materials that can handle the temp better, and have ordered some interesting stuff that i will try.

The foxbody is on its way to be a great car, you do realise how good the 924 is from the start, fairly stiff body, great brakes, good steering, etc. The mustang is more like a car built half way Its very low milage, and have fram rails fitted, panhard bar at the rear etc so its now much better than it was last year, but the brakes, steering and front end need some work, and it will get some awesome suspension this winter. So next year it will hopefully be really fun to drive. We only do twisty roads, so the engine power with the 3,72 rear end is quite suitable, more power is the last thing those car needs

The rings are for my VERY active kids, they love them..
_________________
1980 924 Turbo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Mike9311  



Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 993
Location: Chicago-ish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I have a friend that uses me as his link to normalcy. My work schedule has stayed the same all throughout the year so to him nothing is happening out in the world when he talks to me. I am deemed essential over here. It has made for nice drives to work until recently as more and more trucks have appeared. At the start the highways were EMPTY. Reminded me of days past. Now we go out during lunch for a quick ride here and there especially if the weather is nice.

The Prusa is a great printer. I have one myself and love it. Let me know if you need help if you run into trouble. I built mine and trammed it all out carefully to make sure everything was straight. Z level calibration and temperatures will be key for you. Keep some Prusament (Prusa Filament) around for testing if there is trouble and you need to re-establish a new baseline. The cheap filaments drive me crazy sometimes

My kids are intense too!
_________________
1980 931 since 1989
1981 Ideola 931 Club Sport
1982 931 Entwicklungsfahrzeug
1979 924 NA M650 Herausnehmbares Dach
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cédric  



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Posts: 2080
Location: Sweden

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winter season has officially started!

Im trying to fix my wobbly back wheel, im in the process of changing the stub axel and wheel bearing. Im not sure whats happened really, if i f** something up last time i changed the bearing or if im just had bad luck.

Bought my Prusa in kit form aswell, its was fun to build together with the kids. After setting the z level it just worked perfectly out of the box, its why I payed extra for a Prusa, and of course that I rather support them than the chinese . Only thing that i think i will have to adjust is the filament sensor, since the autoload function doesnt seem to work anymore.



Washed my car for the first time in a long time, went to a indoor do it yourself spot, its winter times here.


No more long braker bars, nice powerful tools make it sooo much easier.


2 rolls for the kids and 4 for me, really interesting to try PC-blend, which should be among the best materials you can print yourself for high temps.


Made a nice enclosure aswell, no more garbage built tent like I had before.

_________________
1980 924 Turbo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
morghen  



Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Posts: 8277
Location: Romania

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks really cool, keep saying that i'll make myself an enclosure but always get lazy and keep ordering PETG instead of PA12 or PC-blend.
_________________
SUPERCHARGED Ruby-sh 924
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cédric  



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Posts: 2080
Location: Sweden

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
looks really cool, keep saying that i'll make myself an enclosure but always get lazy and keep ordering PETG instead of PA12 or PC-blend.


I dont even dare to show my temporary one, looked like a pile of old scrap boxes and other rubbish

Normally I have it quite cold in the garage when i dont do any work there(its easy to just start the heatpump with an app before you go out for some car work), so an enclosure is nice to have for all kind of materials to keep a decent temp. I noticed the prusa printer doesnt even want to start up the heating process when the bed is 10degC and lower, its a safety feature because it thinks the sensor is broken
_________________
1980 924 Turbo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Mike9311  



Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 993
Location: Chicago-ish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. You are lucky to be closer to Prusa since you are able to get their Filament easier. I had to experiment a lot with other sources and have gone from Hero to Zero a few times. I have done a bunch of PETG/Carbon prints that have gone very well. I had to laugh when I noticed they are actually lighter. When I get the chance soon I will be scanning the gauge pod center console and printing a GTS inspired minimalist center console for the CS and a shift knob to fit the short throw shifter but look like a stock 1980 knob. Should be getting a higher end SLA printer soon (and just maybe a metal one too) since I do printing for work both internally and for customers. Already have a small list of crazy applications I have supported but Morghen's "under the hood mildly pressurized stuff" still amazes me. The prusa is so good I quit using my other printers. Its a lot of kit for the price. Being a good user helps as well, from the CAD work on down.

Had my girls help me assemble but they were a tad young to be too excited about it. We did print glow in the dark necklaces though for last years Daddy/daughter dance at school right before lockdown. Turned out pretty cool but glow charge fades quickly.

Your enclosure is sweet! Mine is currently in a temp controlled room so I have held off doing an enclosure. When I finally do it I was thinking of temp controlling it with a small fan to keep it constant without messing with general air flow around the printer which might be difficult. We shall see

Every time you post a pic of the garage floor with the tile I want to go tile my garage. I get so aggravated with the epoxy. I have a few peeled spots after 10 some years even with prepping the concrete properly. Maybe I just want that Euro look. Your set up looks good

Good luck with the wheel bearing
_________________
1980 931 since 1989
1981 Ideola 931 Club Sport
1982 931 Entwicklungsfahrzeug
1979 924 NA M650 Herausnehmbares Dach
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Carrera RSR  



Joined: 08 Jan 2010
Posts: 2111
Location: Somerset, UK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike9311 wrote:
When I get the chance soon I will be scanning the gauge pod center console and printing a GTS inspired minimalist center console for the CS


I was looking at GTS centre consoles in images the other day and was wondering who I could hit up for printing one.......
_________________
1980 931 - forged pistons, Piper cam, K27/26 3257 6.10 hybrid turbo, 951 FMIC, custom intake, Mittelmotor dizzy & cam pulley, H&S exhaust, GAZ Gold, Fuch'ed, Quaife
Now www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=34690
Then www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=31252
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cédric  



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Posts: 2080
Location: Sweden

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike9311 wrote:
Very cool. You are lucky to be closer to Prusa since you are able to get their Filament easier. I had to experiment a lot with other sources and have gone from Hero to Zero a few times. I have done a bunch of PETG/Carbon prints that have gone very well. I had to laugh when I noticed they are actually lighter. When I get the chance soon I will be scanning the gauge pod center console and printing a GTS inspired minimalist center console for the CS and a shift knob to fit the short throw shifter but look like a stock 1980 knob. Should be getting a higher end SLA printer soon (and just maybe a metal one too) since I do printing for work both internally and for customers. Already have a small list of crazy applications I have supported but Morghen's "under the hood mildly pressurized stuff" still amazes me. The prusa is so good I quit using my other printers. Its a lot of kit for the price. Being a good user helps as well, from the CAD work on down.

Had my girls help me assemble but they were a tad young to be too excited about it. We did print glow in the dark necklaces though for last years Daddy/daughter dance at school right before lockdown. Turned out pretty cool but glow charge fades quickly.

Your enclosure is sweet! Mine is currently in a temp controlled room so I have held off doing an enclosure. When I finally do it I was thinking of temp controlling it with a small fan to keep it constant without messing with general air flow around the printer which might be difficult. We shall see

Every time you post a pic of the garage floor with the tile I want to go tile my garage. I get so aggravated with the epoxy. I have a few peeled spots after 10 some years even with prepping the concrete properly. Maybe I just want that Euro look. Your set up looks good

Good luck with the wheel bearing


Ive only been on the ordering side before, we order large amonts of prototypes at work, SLS, high temp materials, clear prints (this is a game changer!) etc. So its fun to be on the printing side aswell. Many years ago i worked as a designer for a while, so Im not completely useless in CAD, but i forgot most of it sadly. But it helps when you design your own stuff. Ordering from prusa is very quick and cheap, so its a good place to order. Their print profiles work very well and i have do to very little/no tuning, im mostly focusing on actually doing stuff, not fiddling with the printer

Yeah, some kind of temp control would be nice, maybe it could be a fun arduino project for the winter. A smart thing in the long rung would probably be to move the PSU out of the enclosure aswell, for the longevity.

Tiles are very very nice and durable, I realised its not that more expensive than good quality epoxi (or at least thats the man maths i used to convince myself), and it will endure better in the long run. Ive seen to many flaking epoxy floors.
_________________
1980 924 Turbo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Fasteddie313  



Joined: 29 Sep 2013
Posts: 2135
Location: MI

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t really know anything about 3D printers..
How durable of materials can you really print with those things?

C�dric wrote:
Soo, after a bit of a hassle with some small parts the turbo is now here, high speed balanced, billet wheel, new rings etc. Wheel do look pretty good, geometry suggests it should flow more than the stock wheel, not sure i need that flow though Hopefully the efficiency is a bit higher aswell, that would be nice..

So here it is, hybrid turbo, 931 turbine housing (#6)/bearing housing, 951 2670 (250hp) compressor side with billet wheel.



951 original vs billet, the compnut is really ugly though together with the slim hub of the billetwheel, well see if i will change it, not a lot of compressor work is carried out close to the hub, so probably doesnt matter, but it looks ugly..





Complete turbo..


You don’t have maps for this billet compressor setup?
According to your expertise, would this be big enough for 25-30 psi, or need bigger?
Call Lindsey?
_________________
80 Turbo - Slightly Modified
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Cédric  



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Posts: 2080
Location: Sweden

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it depends on what material you chose. The tougher the material the more fiddly it is to print, in general. I will start to try printing some more high temp materials soon. It would be nice to do some better brackets for the radiator and oil cooler for example. And in the long run, it would be nice to try making some of the turbo pipes printed, for the more complicated routing parts, just to make more space and a neater installation. But that will be on the cold side of the intercooler, on the hot side just after the compressor it will probably be to hot with boost levels above 1 bar.

I have no map for the billet 2670, only the KKK 2670 map which is all over the internet. I dont think the billet wheel is that much better for high pressure ratios, I think its more high flow and probably some efficiency improvements.

If you want as much as 25-30psi, up to 2 bar of boost (and good turbo reliability) you will have to chose a turbo with some thought. Most passenger car turbos for petrol engines are not designed for that much boost, and will run really inefficiently up there. I dont know if he still have it, but Joakim.S had his old modified 931 manifold mated with a pretty big garret turbo for sale, that would fit your targets:)
_________________
1980 924 Turbo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
jazz guy  



Joined: 26 Nov 2002
Posts: 425
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric I really appreciate reading about your projects and turbocharging thoughts. Quite informative. I have a couple of projects that fall right in line with the current turbocharger and 3d printing posts.

I'm excited to say a Prusa i3 mk3 kit arrived at my doorstep today. I can't wait to get it up and running. I hear the assembly is a little time consuming but quite doable. I guess I'll find out shortly.

I'm also in the middle on choosing a turbo for a full on performance engine upgrade on the '82. I'm leaning toward a Garrett GTX2967R but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I've got a lot of irons in the fire, so I'm not sure how drawn out the project will end up being but I do at least have a lot parts in the works and headed my way.
_________________
'81/'81/'82
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cédric  



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Posts: 2080
Location: Sweden

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazz guy wrote:
Cedric I really appreciate reading about your projects and turbocharging thoughts. Quite informative. I have a couple of projects that fall right in line with the current turbocharger and 3d printing posts.

I'm excited to say a Prusa i3 mk3 kit arrived at my doorstep today. I can't wait to get it up and running. I hear the assembly is a little time consuming but quite doable. I guess I'll find out shortly.

I'm also in the middle on choosing a turbo for a full on performance engine upgrade on the '82. I'm leaning toward a Garrett GTX2967R but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I've got a lot of irons in the fire, so I'm not sure how drawn out the project will end up being but I do at least have a lot parts in the works and headed my way.


I built the kit in the living room with a good drink, it took some evenings but it was really fun, and my kids enjoyed it to, the build manual is really detailed. It was a good way to learn how the printer is built.

The gtx2967 is quite some turbo, whats the plans with the engine?
_________________
1980 924 Turbo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
jazz guy  



Joined: 26 Nov 2002
Posts: 425
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric wrote:
It was a good way to learn how the printer is built.

That's exactly what sold me on the kit version.

As for the engine plan, it's ambitious. Hopefully I'm up to it. Forged pistons, forged rods, cam, new valves (smaller stem dia.), different springs, a little porting, maybe unshroud the intake valve some (don't know how yet), lightened flywheel, light clutch (not sure what options are really available), EFI, custom exhaust manifold, A/A intercooler, BB turbo, etc... Fun!

After tuning, I'm going for a car that's rock solid and can be driven regularly. I'm not looking for a finicky ultimate horsepower setup but if I don't end up north of 300hp, I won't consider it a success.
_________________
'81/'81/'82
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cédric  



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Posts: 2080
Location: Sweden

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazz guy wrote:
Cedric wrote:
It was a good way to learn how the printer is built.

That's exactly what sold me on the kit version.

As for the engine plan, it's ambitious. Hopefully I'm up to it. Forged pistons, forged rods, cam, new valves (smaller stem dia.), different springs, a little porting, maybe unshroud the intake valve some (don't know how yet), lightened flywheel, light clutch (not sure what options are really available), EFI, custom exhaust manifold, A/A intercooler, BB turbo, etc... Fun!

After tuning, I'm going for a car that's rock solid and can be driven regularly. I'm not looking for a finicky ultimate horsepower setup but if I don't end up north of 300hp, I won't consider it a success.


That sounds like a good plan, though rods is possibly overkill, but it takes away some strain on the bottom end due to the decereased weight, i think 300+ should be easily reachable. If you can aim for a twinscroll charger, it will make it much less knock sensitive. It made a big difference in EGT on joakims engine when he did that change, and makes it possible to accept more cam duration, you should at lest have a "stage 1" cam I think. For the head some rework of the inner radius and some filling in some areas would be good, do you plan on DIY or let an experienced head porter do it?

Its always fun with more tuned 931s, there are very few in the world in that gang so it would be fun if you would join in
_________________
1980 924 Turbo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
jazz guy  



Joined: 26 Nov 2002
Posts: 425
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric wrote:
If you can aim for a twinscroll charger, it will make it much less knock sensitive. It made a big difference in EGT on joakims engine when he did that change, and makes it possible to accept more cam duration, you should at lest have a "stage 1" cam I think. For the head some rework of the inner radius and some filling in some areas would be good, do you plan on DIY or let an experienced head porter do it?

I'll leave the actual porting to a pro. I have a decent amount of engine building experience but not in head porting. I do want to have a firm concept and plan of attack in mind before I agree to any material being removed, so I've been digging into research on the topic. Still learning.

Thanks for your thoughts on a twinscroll setup. I'll be fabricating a manifold, so building it for twinscroll shouldn't be much more work. I guess it makes sense that it raised the detonation level on Joakim's engine. Less back flow/cylinder contamination when intakes are opening. Might also allow a larger overlap cam to function better in a turbo engine? I'm really not sure how far I can go on cam overlap and not give up too much low end.

Cedric wrote:
Its always fun with more tuned 931s, there are very few in the world in that gang so it would be fun if you would join in

True that! I've always thought these cars would be a hoot with horsepower in the mid-300's. Now I'm fixing to find out!
_________________
'81/'81/'82
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group