Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Driveline and TT bearing advise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain_Kirk  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Driveline and TT bearing advise Reply with quote

My summer project has been to fix my noisy clutch problem. Figuring it is either the pilot bearing or torque tube bearings, everything was removed from under the car and low and behold, it is both. The pilot bearing was gone, just the shell remained. And as the torque tube bearings came out, the plastic inserts in the bearing were busted up on three.

A new pilot bearing is in but then I am wondering about the wear on the end of the shaft. See the hour glass shape in the pic. Should I have it welded back up and turned. Anyone know the diameter of that end? The tip fits the pilot fine but the needle bearings in the pilot are more towards the section that is worn down.

Anyone have any luck finding replacement plastic inserts for the TT bearings? All the instructions I have found on replacing the bearings say remove inserts for re-using later. A stop at the bearing shop resulted in they can match the bearings but not the inserts.
I've done my search quota for the last month (I read more old posts than I do new ones). Anyone have some ideas or advise.
Thanks in advance.
Captain
[img][/img]
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On mine I was able to reuse my inserts on most of them. One I recreated from similar plastic acquired from TAP plastics and machined to fit. That was hard to do given the thin wall of the plastic. Takes one in to a plastic shop and see if they can find you something that a local machine shop can build you something from.

Good luck!
v8carreragts  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try reading through this thread:

http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/t1559-torque-tube-bearing-inspection

Various things have been tried. I did mine but the pieces were in good condition. Constine has new replacements that look ausome but they are expensive.

The shaft diameter is 0.569"
2013 Chevy Cruze
CorsePerVita  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v8carreragts wrote:
Try reading through this thread:

http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/t1559-torque-tube-bearing-inspection

Various things have been tried. I did mine but the pieces were in good condition. Constine has new replacements that look ausome but they are expensive.

The shaft diameter is 0.569"

Yes, Constantine makes a FANTASTIC product if you are ok with spending the money. Those superbearings are badass.

Alternatively, if you can find a machinist who is willing, you can have the inserts machined out of something like Delrin and then press them into the bearings. However, your largest cost on them will be labor, since setting it up to make the inserts takes time. All in all I think I spent $120 on the inserts and another $100 or so on the bearings.

I have a guide for 944 clutch replacement, which includes rebuilding the torque tube (same process for the 924 on TT fixing).
http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/forum/forum.cgi?board=944clutch;action=display;num=1294429473
- 1987 Lamborghini Jalpa
- 1999 Ducati 900SS
Captain_Kirk  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently working with Constantine at Blackseard.com to build early 924 Superbearings for us small girth shaft owners.
He makes 25mm shaft bearings for 924/944 but not smaller early shaft. Updates soon.
Thanks v8carreragts for the pilot bearing shaft size, fixed with JB weld, sanded and polished, pics soon with bearing updates.
Captain_Kirk  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'll update everyone on my Super bearing upgrade. After contacting Constantine at Black Sea R&D about the 924 torque tube bearings, he had never done such an early year 924 and the driveline shaft was a smaller diameter than what he was building. The early driveline diameter is just 19.+mm and he was building the 25mm inserts for the later 924/944. "Bad news, we don't make a torque tube Super Bearing for your car." Aaarrrggg, what do I do now, they're broken, do I find another torque tube, convert it to a 5-speed????
Constantine: "Good news.... we are going to build it for you."

Whhooo!!! So I sent several measurements of the driveline diameter, shipped him my last remaining bearing holder with intact insert. Sure enough about a month later a test bearing and insert showed up for me to test on the driveline. I sent him my findings on how it fit, he thought it was a little loose and would make an adjustment. A couple weeks later, new SuperBearings showed up that fit the driveline perfectly. Now if any of you have had the honor of seeing a set of these Super Bearings, you'll agree, they are a work of art. It is a crying shame they have to be put down a deep dark hole to never be seen again. If I could afford another one, I'd put it on my desk at work to marvel at. The bearing holder is three times as big as each original one, the bearings are 50% bigger than the originals. Porsche should have installed these SuperBearings into the 924-944-928 when they originally built the cars.

Constantine and Black Sea R&D are a super class act. I have worked in the parts industry for the last fourteen years. I have worked with car companies, motorcycle, atv, snowmobile companies and hundreds of aftermarket vendors. None of them have ever told me they would engineer and build a part for me or a customer that wasn't available anymore. I have told probably one thousand customers that their old car part, or old motorcycle part is no longer available and discontinued. Never have I been told that "no one makes that part for your old car, but we will."

If any of you in 924 or 944 land here need torque tube bearings, please contact Constantine at www.blackseard.com

[img][/img]
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for a detailed HOW TO on the SuperBearing TT refresh.

Oh, BRITAIN????

• Red (1987 924S) - Pro44/Spec944
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: