Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

please help! confused myself

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trgrenier  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: please help! confused myself Reply with quote

okay so im doing a transplant of the 1JZ-GTE (twin turbo straight 6 out of the previous supra), and im using the 968 trans-axle to hold the power down...now heres the part i cant seem to wrap my head around. do i use the bell housing from the 1JZ or the 968? im unfamiliar with the engine>clutch>torque tube>transmission setup and cant figure out how the clutch is going to work with an engine swap...

thank you.
the_mad_electrician  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should use the bellhousing from the supra engine. Make an adaptor plate to bolt the torque tube to the bellhousing. A lot of people use either a gm or Chrysler slave cylinder. If you look at some of the swaps done here you can see how this works.

2004 Ranger "Edge"

2005 Mazda 6
Trgrenier  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, thanks for the quick reply. so essentially im thinking use the bell housing from the supra engine, then make an adapter plate to go onto the torque (which I'm sure im going to need to find a bigger one as my 77' 924 one will just turn to dust) then from their its just a normal install.

ill be sure to upload picture along the way!
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should use the Torque Tube from the 968 or a 944 with the Audi 5-speed.

This will give you splines that mate up with fairly common Chrysler and Ford clutch discs that will handle the power you might produce.

Don't forget to grab the shift linkage to go with it.

The mounting point at the front of the TT is the same, so you can use your existing 924 TT to take measurements and start testing adapter plates, etc.

Some of the V8 swap folks have found that they need to shorten the TT (cut and weld) to ensure proper fitment since the adapter plate tends to move the engine forward and can cause fitment issues or issues with the nose of the driveshaft not fitting into the pilot bearing or allowing proper clutch actuation. If you have to do this, then you may be able to skip the adapter and build a steel plate to be welded to the TT that will bolt directly to the Toyota bellhousing.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: