Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

fuel pump relay, whooda thunk it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sciroccosteve  

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: fuel pump relay, whooda thunk it Reply with quote

So, I may have mentioned before when discussing my fuel system issues I was having that my fuel pump kicked on and didnt turn off, pre crank. Also noted it was highly loud.

I had a fuel pump relay from a vw laying around, swapped it in...no change.

So I was perusing pelican the other night, and picked up a bunch of stuff including a new relay.
Put it in today and I'll be jiggered.....The pump is much quieter, doesn't stay on, and it would appear all fuel issues have been finally resolved.

How odd I say, how odd.
C. Montgomery Burns
markmazour  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
Would you say what you are experiencing now is the OEM intended behavior?

I ask this because I am having difficulty starting my car, ok it won't start at all. It had been running and starting fine until last night I hopped in for a joy ride and it turned over and over and over... well you understand. I started thinking and poking around and it dawned on me that I was not hearing the fuel pump which I would normally hear when the ignition was in the on position, kind of a zrt...zrt...zrt... at the same rate of the blinkers. I guess my next step is to apply 12 volts to the pump leads to see if it functions followed by a fuse and relay inspection/replacement.
2011 BMW335is Space Gray 6mt
ninpo4me  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell me more, I would love to put a new relay into my car as a "just in case"
I am trying to replace anything that would lever me stranded, as I plan on driving my car often
markmazour  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I pulled the relay tapped it 4-6 times on the ground popped it back in and it started right up! I am ordering a new one today!

I the the past when the ignition was turned on I would hear the fuel pump going zzrrt...zzrrt...zzrrt...zzrrt...zzrrt...zzrrt...zzrrt...and it would not stop until the engine was started then I would barely hear the quiet hum of the fuel pump. Now after the tapping trick I hear zzrrtr...zzrrt...and it stops, I believe this to be the correct operation.
2011 BMW335is Space Gray 6mt
ninpo4me  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post the link as to where you bought a new fuel relay? I would love to buy a pair.
old 924  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninpo4me wrote:
Could you post the link as to where you bought a new fuel relay? I would love to buy a pair.
the 76 to 78 are N/L/A..you have to buy them used or have them rebuilt ,if you can find some place to do it ..i looked for i long time to find new one's ..no one make's them any more..some one was nice enough to send me a pair but i have'nt been able to work on the car to find out if they even work, witch i pray they do cuz you can't find them..
jim kleyh  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: relay Reply with quote

Hey from Canada!! Happy 4th!! I bought my 77 months ago and finally got it into the shop. It came with 4-5 fuel relays but whether they work or not. the PO said the car wouldn't start and just kept putting relays into the car. It's been sitting for 10 years so who knows. I got it started first crack, just luck?? run like an old donkey. If these relays do work I may have one for you. I'll let you know next week. JIM
sciroccosteve  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markmazour wrote:
Steve,
Would you say what you are experiencing now is the OEM intended behavior?

I ask this because I am having difficulty starting my car, ok it won't start at all. It had been running and starting fine until last night I hopped in for a joy ride and it turned over and over and over... well you understand. I started thinking and poking around and it dawned on me that I was not hearing the fuel pump which I would normally hear when the ignition was in the on position, kind of a zrt...zrt...zrt... at the same rate of the blinkers. I guess my next step is to apply 12 volts to the pump leads to see if it functions followed by a fuse and relay inspection/replacement.

Of all the german cars I have ever owned(eighteen) it is always the relay.
C. Montgomery Burns
Lambsey  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say, having had 3 relays and a swapped in fuel pump in the last 1000 miles, to renew the earth strap from the battery and string another one onto the engine block. My fuel pump now purrrs rather than roaring and all other electrical things seem to be working much better.

I came to the conclusion that cranking over + fuel pump load was too much and so I cooked the relays and old pump. I now have an 'old fashioned' relay with the fuse on top, which melted a week ago before I did the mods....
scm924s  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone successfully used any other relay in the '77 model other than the original 6 pin fused one?
1984 n/a Black - sold
1980 n/a Le Mans#1 - sold
1980 n/a Le Mans#2- sold
1977 Martini - sold
Lambsey  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Has anyone successfully used any other relay in the '77 model other than the original 6 pin fused one?

I am told (by a very well respected guru) that to be able to use a fuse on top version where the design for a later version relay was used is a "no-no", but I am definitely running such. Apparently the use of a later relay in an older car is even more of an issue.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news
scm924s  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would certainly not recommend a non fused one as this is the only circuit fuse on cars not fitted with the additional fuse board (post 78?), but I have a 5 pin fused one which is ex VW which I am curious about.

Alternatively a relay with an inline fuse protection might serve if I understood these things!
1984 n/a Black - sold
1980 n/a Le Mans#1 - sold
1980 n/a Le Mans#2- sold
1977 Martini - sold
Lambsey  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scm924s wrote:
I would certainly not recommend a non fused one as this is the only circuit fuse on cars not fitted with the additional fuse board (post 78?), but I have a 5 pin fused one which is ex VW which I am curious about.

Alternatively a relay with an inline fuse protection might serve if I understood these things!

Definitely a huge no-no. The fuel pump relay operates as a switch. In certain conditions it turns the pump ON. If those conditions aren't met then the pump is turned OFF. Therefore the relay is not looking for conditions on a VW but a Porsche. When my first one sicked out the spanners man proved it by using a known "good" FPR from a VW.....it 'worked' to prove the diagnosis but it kept switching in and out. The 924 wiring is delicate enough without adding relays not intended for the job. If you have a relay with a fuse on top then you need to have that and no other. I have the feeling that your actual fuel pump will be different, too.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: