Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Gas problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbochargen  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an '80 924 Turbo. One question right that I have is it idles fine but once you give it a little gas, it almost dies out on me. I end up needing to get up to about 2 to 3 thousand rpm before I can use the clutch to get moving so it won't die on me. Anyone have any ideas as to what causes this? Thanks.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few possible causes to check. Hope it's not this one, but is your turbo spinning? It'll make a cool little jet engine sound as it spools up if it is working. If it's gone bad and stuck motionless, you'll have real sad performance. This happened to mine enough years ago that I can't remember the exact symptoms, but it's a possibility, so check for that sound.

Other things to look at would be valve timing, ignition timing, vacuum advance/retard mechanism on the distributor and check for vacuum leaks. Check that your air filter is clean too.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check all the plug wire connections for a snug fit and no corrosion and that they're attached in the correct order - same for the distributor cap and rotor.

-Actually I had a similar symptom on my old '73 Dodge van when the coil went bad, so check the coil... It might not be putting out a powerful enough spark under load.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing we'll hope it's not is sticking rings causing low compression, so you might want to add a compression and/or leakdown test to the list. (I did both of these on my own car before I even bought it.)

-And of course your own thought, "gas problem" - and Larso's favorite. Just plain old bad gas can f things up for you.

Of course, first check the easy stuff that you don't need to acquire special tools for.

larso  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well how does it run once it's warmed up, does it idle? Is it rough? It could be a number of things but if you are giving it throttle and instantly after you are doing this it is stalling, that means it's too lean...more air makes it worse for a split second. If you flick the throttle real fast, (close it right after you open it) and the car does nto stall it means it's too lean. It can be too lean because of a number of things, such as vacuum leak causing the mixture to be off, mixture just generally off, etc. Or bad gas causing it to be lean..crappy gas doesn't have very much actual good gas in it, so the car runs lean...lots of air, not much gas.
TroyDest  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbochargen, check your overboost switch on the upper pressure duct. If it is bad or has a bad connection, all your car will want to do is idle. You can check by temporarily grounding the switch and see if that makes a difference. -Troy
numbers  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it could be anything to do with ignition or fuel, but your symptoms really sound like a timing problem. Have you did anything with the timing belt, or distributor recently?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: