Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Why Not just keep your regular engine?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
81turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey save your breath on these pie in the sky ideas and just keep the regular engine. How is that for a radical idea? No way, try and keep you car nice instead of turning it into Frankenstein!

Ryan
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for one thing, it would sort of negate the purpose of the engine swap forum. Maybe that's not such a bad thing.
larso  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I look out in my front living room window, and actually see a guy drive buy with a 924 chev, buick, or v-6 swap...oh man, I will have to take a picture as he drives by, and blow my freaking head off with a shotgun. Be sure to stop by my place after, and pic up the picture..and maybe even say "hi" to me on the floor.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, I can get you some pics of a 5 cylinder in a 924. They did a few at the factory too... It's quite feasable, just need new mounts, new oil pan, and a 931 torque tube. I think a 944 tube should work too, but I don't know for sure.

The guy with the 20V in his 924 is going back to his country in a week, and I am getting him to take a few pics.
numbers  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why change your engine, because it is called hotrodding. That is what all tuners do, and it is kind of the heart of the car culture.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it is at the heart of hot rodding culture. But ya gotta do it right, whether it's a Chevy, or a Porsche. And it's still always cheaper to buy one already completed.
81turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotrodding is for hot rods not fine German automobiles. What is the point of an audi five cylinder? Why not just do a 944 engine. And round and round we go, where we stop is dumb ideas and wastes of time that cost to much money.
Ryan
81 931

[ This Message was edited by: 81turbo on 2002-06-20 03:37 ]
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On 2002-06-20 00:31, numbers wrote:
Why change your engine, because it is called hotrodding. That is what all tuners do, and it is kind of the heart of the car culture.

Maybe it would have been more appropriate to say "it is what all tuners DID, and it USED TO BE kind of the heart of car culture".

The engine swap days are over. Tuners are all about bolt-ons these days. Cars that don't come with engines deemed "tuneable" are left out in the cold.
924_fan  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, I disagree with you about engine swaps and hot rodding not being done anymore.

Extrude Hone would not be in business if people did not use their honing service.

Tuners are not only about bolt-ons. Some one has to design, experiment, and test the bolt-ons; e.g. Before Huntley made a sc kit available for a 944, it was tested.

I think that Jay at DST would disagree with you also. Look and see what he has done to his 924 and its engine.

European Car Magazine had a series of articles covering interchangability of Japanese car engines; and, had swaps to illustrate the series. Is this any different from engine swapping during the 50s, 60s and 70s?

Detroit iron is still being swapped and improved on quite often. Go to any street rod show.

Porsches are getting Chevy motors - just follow the Porchev list to listen to the people doing the swaps. There are enough people doing the swaps that Rod Simpson, Renegade and Red Dawg are staying quite busy.

Ryan, hot rodding fine German autos is done. What is a RUF but an extremely hot rodded (and expensive)Porsche.

Rick, I think that you are correct. It is almost always cheaper to buy the completed product. However, many people do not "do it right" quite often you are stuck with fixing the previous owner's errors. Once bought a RHD Jag 420 with a Buick engine. Cool car but had mucho electrical problems. Ended up driving it for awhile and traded it for a 10 coat lacquer paint job on a Lotus Europa (long time ago). The car while not perfect by any means was fun and served its purpose. Also, I have ridden in a hemi powered A sedan. Scary fast. Really scary because the builder/owner did not box the frame rails -- talk about frame twist.

PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

81turbo,
Your women must be tired of you being on top....lol. Get the point!
81turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffled
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoooooom....right over your head
Cbass  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-20 03:35, 81turbo wrote:
Hotrodding is for hot rods not fine German automobiles. What is the point of an audi five cylinder? Why not just do a 944 engine. And round and round we go, where we stop is dumb ideas and wastes of time that cost to much money.
Ryan
81 931

[ This Message was edited by: 81turbo on 2002-06-20 03:37 ]

I think this is what sets the Ferrari people apart from the Porsche people. A Ferrari owner for the most part, is quite content that they have a Ferrari. Rarely will they modify it(it does happen, just rarely).

A Porsche owner is usually looking for the next upgrade, whether for performance, comfort, looks or reliability.

As for the Audi motor, it makes the kind of torque that puts many smallblock V8s to shame. It has a wonderfully broad and forgiving powerband, with great low end grunt, and tons of top end power. It gets good gas mileage(if driven for economy), and you can run it on any gas, from 90-100 RON, and it will prevent knock, and give you as much performance as you pay for in gas.

It also makes the most beautiful sounds...
81turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best engine sound comes from an air cooled flat six and don't your forget it. I bet guys with the new 996 turbo are not looking for the next mod. They are very content having a VERY fast car. As far as the Audi five. Sounds good in theory but then again so did the Hindenburgh. (bother German by the way)
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On 2002-06-20 09:37, 924_fan wrote:
Jon, I disagree with you about engine swaps and hot rodding not being done anymore.

I didn't say it wasn't being done. I meant that it wasn't the norm, like it used to be.

Quote:
Tuners are not only about bolt-ons. Some one has to design, experiment, and test the bolt-ons; e.g. Before Huntley made a sc kit available for a 944, it was tested.

So? It's still bolt ons. Very few tuners are cracking engines these days. Stroker kits are a relative rarity (compare this to 25 years ago).

Quote:
I think that Jay at DST would disagree with you also. Look and see what he has done to his 924 and its engine.

Yeah, maybe. If Jay's car ever saw road. Jay is full of shit. And he's a jackass. You can read about his adventures ruining Dan Nguyenphuc's (a 951 owner) time in the as a co-driver in the Open Track Challenge here. Note that he isn't named specifically by Dan, but you can see his profile as a team member here. Jay's car is a hollow shell. Anyone can strip their car bare. As far as his engine mods are concerned, since no one has seen his car run and it's never been dynoed, I couldn't care less.

Quote:
European Car Magazine had a series of articles covering interchangability of Japanese car engines; and, had swaps to illustrate the series. Is this any different from engine swapping during the 50s, 60s and 70s?

Isn't it mostly swapping one Honda engine in place of another? That's not exactly the same as swapping a Buick engine for a Porsche one.

Quote:
Detroit iron is still being swapped and improved on quite often. Go to any street rod show.

Swapped into what? Street rods? You mean 30's cars? Does that sound relevant to this discussion? That's not exactly today's group of tuners, is it? It's some crusty old bastard who's been doing 350 swaps since they were invented.

Quote:
Porsches are getting Chevy motors - just follow the Porchev list to listen to the people doing the swaps. There are enough people doing the swaps that Rod Simpson, Renegade and Red Dawg are staying quite busy.

If they're so common, how come Adam is the only one on this board with one? How come no one here has ever seen one actually moving under it's own power? Is Adam even finished? Starting a project and finishing one are two different things. You'll also note that Renegade Hybrids stopped making kits for the 924. I'm sure it was because of the massive demand for 924 engine swap kits. Please.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: