Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Tyler's 1977 924 Restoration Thread (lots of Pictures)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyfighter123  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Tyler's 1977 924 Restoration Thread (lots of Pictures) Reply with quote

Back in 1997 when I was 15 I wanted a car project for the summer that I could fix up and have ready by the time I turned 16. I wanted an old sports car something that would be a great first car. I started looking through the newspaper at cars trying to find something cheap that I could fix up pretty easy. After hours of searching I came across a "Porsche" for 200 dollars. My good buddy who had already turned 16 had a Silver 1977 911 that his parents had bought him. I re read the post 200 dollars? Porsche "924" I had no idea what a 924 was but I knew the word "Porsche" and I thought that is my car. I went to go check it out, it didnt run the old guy who was selling it made it turn over with starting fluid and said it was pretty complete. Needless to say I gave him 200 hundred and had my dad tow me home in it. Thinking back I had no idea what I was getting myself in to. I started to work on the car I replaced all the locks with a set I found at a junk yard because the rear lock was gone. I also bought another engine which I took to the auto shop at the high school and mixed and matched the fuel lines and injectors. I was now in school and in auto shop. In class I replaced the gas tank as the old one was rusted out and also tore off the cat exhaust and made my own. I was able to get the car running just long enouh to drive it once around the parking lot in the school. The class ended and I hauled the car back to my parents house where it sat for a year until my parents made me move it. So I took it out to my grandpa's farm where it sat until August 2010. Here are a few pics of where it rested for 10 plus years.
Looks really bad

Im pretty sure there are mice in there somewhere!

Back in January of this year I was looking at this form and saw an engine block and rebuilt head for sale on here. Im living in Grand Junction Colorado and the car was 400 miles away in Utah. I decided it was time to rebuild my first car and actually drive it!!! So I bought the parts. They came with the main bearings, rod bearings, block, and rebuilt head.

Since I didnt have any other parts and no car I started finding all the parts I needed. (a lot of the parts have come from board members). There are parts from Canada, Europe, Australia, and many states.

I have never rebuilt an engine before so this has been a long process and lots of learning.

Putting the engine on the stand

You can see pitting in the sleeves!

The block was suppose to be honned and boiled by a good machine shop, yet there was pitting in the block and I ended up getting it sleeved and re honned.

I then got it ready to paint!

After paint got started on assembly.

Grease!

Crankshaft

Pistons.

Head, oil pump and oil pan.
While building this in my one car garage my wife and I bought another house in July down the street (seriously down the street not even a block away) that has a two car garage. Here are some pictures of building the garage with the epoxy floor and shelving.

That epoxy floor makes it so much better to work on and cleaner too. I painted it blue cause its a happy color and I planned (and plan) on spending a lot of time in it. Ill continue the story soon there is still lots of pictures and progress to post.
Porsche 911S 1976
Porsche 931 1980
Porsche 931 1980 (parts car)

Last edited by tyfighter123 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. all of it really nice thanks for sharing tyfighter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CorsePerVita  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love seeing other restoration threads, makes me motivated to keep going on mine.
- 1987 Lamborghini Jalpa
- 1999 Ducati 900SS
Scorpio  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work the floor looks too nice for me , mine has body filler
Stuck to the concrete and fiberglass strands stuck here and there with paint everywhere 
BILSTEIN SHOCKS
GT BASED CUSTOM BODYKIT

Brisbane , Australia
Think mean think fast
all youll see is
my Porsches Arse!!!
tyfighter123  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support this board has help a ton on what I have done so far. Scorp, the floor is not so nice anymore I hope it cleans up, you will see in the pictures to come.
Porsche 911S 1976
Porsche 931 1980
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome story, Ty! Keep the pix and updates coming!
tyfighter123  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I had the house and garage ready it was time to haul the car out to its new home.

With the help of a few buddies we got it loaded and started the trip to colorado.

I got to working on pulling the engine. It took us 10 hrs to pull the sucker out but we finally got it about 4 in the morning.

The next day I started working on pulling all the engine bay so I could get it ready for paint. I got rid of a ton of stuff when pulling the engine like the old exhaust the smog pump, a/c etc.

The fenders were rusted pretty bad so I got rid of them and ordered new ones from parts heaven they are steel fenders european version so they dont have the big orange lights, just little side ones. During shipping the fenders got slightly damaged and ups ended up refunding me 75% of the money for repairs! I used that money for new suspension parts!

There was some surface rust on parts of the car that I wirewheeled of and then covered with por 15. I also soda blasted a few places on the car to remove all the paint to get it down to bare metal. Here are some pictures of the engine bay paint process. I have never painted before so I read up on what I needed and asked around. I found the Porsche paint code L10A rally yellow. I went with a single stage paint with a white primer. My buddy Jacob who has been kind enough to help me with a lot of this restoration helped with the painting as well. He brought over one of his friends named Rob who also gave some advise on how to paint. We hooked up my two compressors so we could paint without stopping. I bought two spray guns at habor freight that did a pretty good job for the 10 dollars they cost.

Taping of the car. Jacop said to use metal foil for some of the wires and cross member. It work really good.

Rob under the car. Jacop kept calling him a little gremlin cause he could fit any where in the engine bay to get the hard to reach places.

Jacop painting

The color turned out really well Im happy with it, having never done it before. I will probably do a 2 stage paint for the rest of the car. Stay tunned more to come.
Porsche 911S 1976
Porsche 931 1980
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, keep us updated.
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice color choice and nice work gentle men.. except you got paint all over the concrete looks like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tyfighter123  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joe I'll probably need some tips from you when I get to painting the body! Your car is looking sweet! As for the concrete I cleaned it with laquer thinner.
Porsche 911S 1976
Porsche 931 1980
Brian L.  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyfighter , good job on keeping the dream alive. Donít let the naysayers dissuade you from this noble task of saving one more 924 from oblivion. These cars though scorned by many but loved by those fortunate enough to cross paths with this car. Appreciated by few this hodgepodge of parts that seems to add up to more than the sum of its parts is still a real Porsche and one that probably saved Porsche in the later 70ís.

That crazy yellow color is nuts but somehow seems perfect for a 1977 924. I once painted a car yellow, it was a Opel Manta. When I had that car it was only 6 years old.
I donít know what drove me to paint it yellow, it was the Rally model that was originally bright orange with the satin black hood and matching black striped down the sides but enough about that.

In humble opinion instead of painting it with a base coat / clear coat system I would just go with some Dupont Imron. Tough as nails and the shine will last a long time, easier to repair and probably cheaper than a BC/CC. A lot of colors you cant get in Imron but I think you could get that yellow color or something so close nobody would know the difference.

A couple of tips, if you have any electrical gremlins check all your ground connections. If you lay on your back and put your head by the brake pedal and look under the dash behind the relay / fuse panel, there will be cluster of ground wires (brown in color) that have push on connecters that will all be connected to a round metal crown that has numerous tabs that these ground wires will be connected to. Mine were corroded but once I cleaned them that solved a lot of problems with my gauges jumping around when I turned my headlights on and my turn signals acting up. Just make sure the engine is grounded to the chassis. Search this forum for ďgroundsĒ.

Good luck!
tyfighter123  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, Thanks for the kind words. Its funny how these cars are so addicting. If I were to see any other car so run down other than a Porsche I would say junk it. I will have to check out all the grounds to make sure they are clean and secured. Also I will check out Dupont Imron is it expensive?
Porsche 911S 1976
Porsche 931 1980
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good i like the color nice and bright.. any updates?
quart  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great project.... I hope to get started on a basic restoration of an '88 in the coming months and your project has inspired me. What direction are you going with the restoration.... bone stock, or modified? Personally, I prefer the stock look, but maybe with some period upgrades, etc.

I am glad to see you didn't have to remove all the wiring and the likes to get a good paint spray... I was afraid I would have to gut the car to do it right, but maybe not.

Keep up the good work and the post....
tyfighter123  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so here are a few updates on the car. I decided to try out the spray can dye for the carpet since it is in really good shape just faded from the sun. Here is the back hatch carpet that I tested it on.

I think it turned out well and will be using it on the rest of the car. I also replaced the rear hatch struts.

Just adding those make such a difference! No more having to hold the glass with a stick or banging your head.
I also got most of the new parts on the engine like the clutch, pilot bearing, CSV, WUR etc.
These are the tools I used to remove the pilot bearing. I removed the bearing first and then the sleeve.

The flywheel resurfaced.

The whole assy installed.

Here are a few pictures of the engine with a few parts installed.

The coolant tube.

Here are a few pictures of the header, Its a bursched header and I had to weld the egr hole closed in the header itself. I also had to drill out the stud holes a bit so it would line up, I think I had a stud that was slightly bent. I soaked the gasket in water before I installed it.

I have also been powder coating a lot of the little items that I can fit in an oven. I am really impressed with how well it works. I bought a kit from habor freight for 70 dollars the paint is 4 dollars for a bottle that will last quite awhile. Here are a few finished products.

I also installed the spark plugs I read that a few of you here are running the iridium if anyone here is reading this let me know how they are working.

Here is the starter. I put a new ground on the alt, and a new power line on the starter.

Picture of it getting ready to be stabbed.

I was making a list of things that still needed to be completed on the car and it is still quite long. Im waiting on new spark plug wires and engine mounts. In the mean time before I stab the engine im going to do the 5 bolt conversion with the 924S I picked up earler this summer. Im also going to be painting the a-arms, spindles, dust plates etc. Still lots of work to do!
Porsche 911S 1976
Porsche 931 1980
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: