Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Stalling

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clbmkr1  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Stalling Reply with quote

Guys,

I'm having an issue with stalling. I have difficulty getting the car to idlewhen starting at ambient temperature for 1-2 minutes, then its fine. About two minutes later while driving the engine dies. It won't start again for 30-40 seconds, then runs fine.
I haven't registered the car yet (title issues) so I haven't driven it more than about 10 miles.

Is stalling common? Anyone have a fix?
2013 Ford Escape
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ver high likelihood you have a vacuum / boost leak somewhere, possible in more than one place. There are 7 rubber elbows that make up the breather system on the 931 that are particularly prone to cracking. Two of them are very hard to get to with the engine in situ. These will wreak havoc on the CIS, along with many other possible places for leaks. Before you do anything else, you need to find and eliminate all of these leaks. Start by replacing the 4mm cloth braided vac lines with 4mm silicone. Then replace the elbows (I have a handy kit available if it's of interest). Then check the charge tube-to-throttle body sealing (big rubber boot on an S1, one red o-ring and one black seal on the S2). And don't forget about the boot under the AFM that connects to the turbo inlet.

Understand, you could experiencing other issues as well, could also be something to do with fuel delivery like a failing WUR, failing AAV, clogged injectors, leaking fuel distributor, etc. But you'll be chasing your tail on that stuff until you find and eliminate vac leaks. Start there and report back.
Clbmkr1  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm getting closer to the problem.
I connected a timing light to a plug wire and let the engine idle until it died, about 8 minutes. I turned the timing light and tried to start the engine. The timing light didn't fire, no spark from distributor. A few minutes later, the timing light fired and so did the engine.
I planned to repeat the process and check voltage on both sides of the coil, but after 30 minutes it was still running. I decided to jump in and take it for a spin.
I stopped and bought gas then drove 30 miles with no issues.

Could the coil be the issue? Could get too hot and malfunction?
2013 Ford Escape
Clbmkr1  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, my wife is getting ticked. I've had my 931 towed twice in the past 3 days. Thank God for roadside service programs.
This last go-round I've found that the "pick-up" on the side of the distributor is the culprit. The car starts and runs fine for 10-30 minutes, then the stalling begins. I found that I can move this sensor and/or the wire and it will fire. Sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for 30 minutes.
I do I determine if its defective and needs replaced, or needs adjustment?
2013 Ford Escape
Clbmkr1  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To All,

The problem turned out to be the distributor. The coil in the lower portion of the distributor had a break in the wire that opened when it got hot.
the engine always started cold, and run well in cool weather.
I installed a remanufactured distributor and all is well.
Thanks to all for your assistance.
2013 Ford Escape
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: