Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Clutch Disc Options
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shurick  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGyver wrote:
You right. I didn't noticed that before. Maybe someone can post some photos what are differences between this two types of flywheels? If I can get mine from some box I can make photo session of that spring type clutch

Have no actual photos at hand but there are two types of flywheel. M31.01, .02, .04 (and .50??) share the same 'S1' design for use with spring type of hub. M31.03 had flywheel with buried friction surface. This flywheel was used with rubber hub and another pressure plate. Also this clutch setup was used in 944. Actually, parts of this clutch had part numbers leading with 944.116 instead of early 931.116
https://www.instagram.com/ru_pacecar/
ic932  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted some pics a few years ago here...they should still be active.

Yes here they are.
ic932 wrote:

931Owner  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: So are centerforce clutches ok to buy now? Reply with quote

Hey guys

glad I read the post. I was just about to purchase one from Jegs, all I needed to do was give the CC # and it would have been mine.

So... for $151 are the centerforce clutches worth getting?
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so, I've not had good luck with Centerforce on my other cars. Had a brand new Centerforce II slip on a stock turbo chrysler, later found out that others had the same problems and found that Centerforce were merely repackaging another company's clutch disc and pressure plate (after they painted the PP a nifty color)

The claim from Centerforce was to buy their top of the line unit (which was sourced from ClutchNet) So we cut out the middle man, had Clutchnet build even better clutches for us and the cheap bastards that inhabit the Turbo-Dodge world were able to buy reasonably priced clutches that will put 400+hp and 500 lb-ft of 2.5L turbo power to the front wheels and cut 1.8 second 60-foot times.

Oddly, the local parts store Borg-Warner Brute Force clutch worked just fine on my heavier Daytona making the same power as the CF-II slipped at.

I realize that this doesn't apply directly to the Porsche world, but I find that policies and procedures like that tend to be applied across the line.

Don't get me started on Fram and their hijinks with their poor filter construction that leads to all sorts of issues with hydraulic lifters or filters blowing up at startup. If you look down the center of the filter and see a cardboard end-cap, put it back on the shelf and buy a Purolator, etc filter.
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have heard and read similar opinions of Centerforce as what Stefan posted, 924RACR among them...
931Owner  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Clutchnet part #? Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

It may be me... but I don't see a clutch for a S1 (1980) 924 Turbo... there is a lot of "Exc. Turbo" which I believe is 'Excluding'.

Do you have a part #?

Thanks in advance.
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you'll need to use the clutch kit for a 924S or 944.
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No! the late 1982 931 used the same as the 924S. Not all S2 931's did though, 1979-1981 all use the same clutch disc (spring centered).
931Owner  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Solid or spring design Reply with quote

So... what's the difference between a spring and solid clutch from a drive-ability point of view? I would assume it would be harder on your leg driving a solid disc?

Also, is this the correct specifications I should be looking for?

Specifications:
Outside Diameter:8 1/2 inches (216 mm)
Spline Major Diameter:13/16
Spline Teeth: 24

http://www.clutchnet.com/product.php?productid=6704&cat=0&page=1
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the 931 is 215mm with 1" spline diameter and 24 splines. There are several 930 discs that are close at 225mm but I think those discs would be too large.
!tom  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Solid or spring design Reply with quote

931Owner wrote:
So... what's the difference between a spring and solid clutch from a drive-ability point of view? I would assume it would be harder on your leg driving a solid disc?

It has nothing to do with how hard it is to press the clutch pedal. It has to do with the "jerk," that is, how the clutch grabbing the flywheel gets translated to the wheels, or the deritive of the acceleration rate if you want to talk about calculus.
peterld  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Guys, so here is the $64 question.
We know that in S1 cars (non DITC) a myriad of suitable clutches are available, including from 911, Bronco, etc.
However what about S2 cars with the factory fitted rubber dampened clutch, still utilising the original deep dished flywheel (with DITC trigger)?
Has anybody changed out the clutch (and possibly pressure plate) using non original parts while still retaining the original flywheel.
What did you use? And why?
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1981 S2 has the same clutch disc as the S1. The 1982-onward S2 has the same disc as the early 944 and 924S...
ic932  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i've heard that a spring centred version is/was available for the 944 application but never looked into it given the rubber-centred disc's "kindness" to 932 dogleg syncos (???). A higher clamping force 944S2 is compatible, again with the rubber-centre. I'm sure cheaper "performance" options are out there too. Albiet with spring centres. I don't know if there is a disc only solution if going for a spring version....?
peterld  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so in OZ cars Dan. All S2 DITC cars factory delivered in OZ had the rubber damped clutch. This commences with '80 built, but '81 model cars through to the last of the line. Here only S1 cars had the spring centred clutch.
Yeah Dave, you're right about the kindness of the rubber clutch on gearboxes.
As mentioned previously, I've had a rubber thingy in the car now for 30 years (well 20 years in my possession) and it's still in great shape. Given the horror stories from 911s and 944s, I'm always expecting the worst, but touch wood it's still good to go.
I do have S1 flywheel, etc available but for now I need to run CIS and attendant flywheel sensor, so an immediate swap out is not on the cards.
Besides I'm waiting for Ideola Garage to make available it's complete kit of FI for the 931/932.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: