Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Price Check on Aisle 5
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Legitimate Salvage  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:33 pm    Post subject: Price Check on Aisle 5 Reply with quote

My mid-life crisis is at hand and I'm looking for a car.

I've found a 1979 base model 924 (dogleg 5 speed) locally that the current owner rescued out of 30 years of storage about a year ago. 64,000 miles on the clock. Owner has put over $12k into it. The car is truly in "daily driver" condition (I've seen the receipts and driven it). It does need a few things: 1) rear glass is delaminating (common pita but fixable), 2) rear driver side wheel bearing is noisy (easily replaced), 3) hood has some ripples that need to be worked out, 4) a dent below the deck lid that someone in the past tried to hammer out... poorly, 5) ventilation controls are a bit "fiddly", and 6) the AC needs work. In short, it's a 7/10 cosmetically (easily a 20 footer), 8/10 for the interior (not including the common badly cracked dash) and 8.5 (probably a 9)/10 mechanically. Owner is asking $11,000.

My dilemma is twofold: 1) trying to determine if the asking price is in line with the car's condition. Sold prices/valuations on 924's seem to be all over the map, but it seems that well-sorted, "buy and drive" 924's go between 8k and 10k. I don't want to lowball offer this guy and insult him... but I don't want to pay $11k for it. 2) I was underwhelmed with the engine performance. But good lord the handling was tight yet sublime!

Link to photos of the car: https://www.flickr.com/photos/110144767@N03/albums/72157697870534985

In other forums folks have said "just find a 944/968". I don't want a 944 (and most of the 968's are cabriolets). I got a very good vibe off of the 924's owner. He's passionate about the car for what it is and we really hit it off talking about the car. (By comparison one 944 owner I talked to seems like he's in a rush to sell, and didn't have any maintenance history. I did find an allegedly "well sorted" 968, but the carfax came back with a salvage title.)

I'm interested in your thoughts/opinions.

Last edited by Legitimate Salvage on Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:25 am; edited 3 times in total
barnwerks  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When asking for valuation, pictures are worth a thousand words.
I would add to the alternatives list a 924S. Same vintage, understated styling with a nice extra helping of power.
Legitimate Salvage  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent point… original post modified with a link to a flickr album.

Haven’t found a 924S in my price range that’s in remotely as nice mechanical condition as the 924 I’m considering.
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though its got the snailshell it probably doesn't have the limited slip since it has the four bolt wheels and doesn't have the good vented rotors front and rear. The body looks fair to good but that's a lot of money for low miles.
I'd say keep looking for a 924S or a good 931.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
barnwerks  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it could be a nice car and it's good color scheme. The leather seats are a nice and uncommon treat. The 30 year hiatus could be a concern, as the car begins to see regular service, the components that have not been replaced because they appear to be okay, will likely fail. Have you seen photos of how the car was stored?
11K does not seem unreasonable but I understand not wanting to spend it. For me it's the 4 bolt 14" wheels, not exactly a remedy for mid life crisis. Like most things Porsche, the later the model, the better developed they are... everywhere.
D Hook  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not worth 11k, IMO. Maybe 5 or 6 at best.

The underwhelming power will, after a year or two, make you wish you would've searched a little more for a good 924S or '86 1/2 or newer 944. Handling is about the same or better but power steering and 5 bolt wheels/suspension will make it a more comfortable and spirited driving experience.
Legitimate Salvage  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just looking at BaT, the last two 924S's sold for $12k and $11.3k. For base model 924's (there aren't many) I've found $7.2k, $5.8k and one outlier at $15k (a garage queen with 5k original documented miles). None of those cars had the recent, documented work done that the car I'm considering has.

Link to album of work done since October 2022: https://www.flickr.com/photos/110144767@N03/albums/72177720313594099

I'm specifically not crazy about the "tarantula" wheels... but 4 lug, rear drum doesn't bother me. The other contender car for my crisis is a 240-280z. All are 4 lug and the 240/260 were front disc/rear drum. I've owned two, but you can't touch a nice looking, somewhat rust free, "drive away now" Z for less than $25k. I have the $ to do that, but I don't want to.

And I'm just not crazy about the body lines on a 944... never thought it was attractive. That, and I don't want power windows, power steering...etc.

Last edited by Legitimate Salvage on Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
D Hook  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galvanized bodies on 924 started in1980. Previous models had SOME parts galvanized but 1980 (IIRC) started with all galvanized body parts. So rust wasn't so much of a problem after that, unless a collision repair wasn't done correctly.

The fact you don't like the 944 body lines is understandable. Some do, some don't. But the electronics are much better, easier to access because the fuse box is under the hood instead of under the dash starting with the oval-dash 86 1/2 models of the 944. Once you've spent a day laying on your back with the drivers seat removed trying to trouble shoot the fuse panel on the 924, you'll appreciate that a bit more. The 924S retained the fuse panel under-dash placement unfortunately. That was ONE of the biggest reasons I decided to sell my '80 924. Just didn't want to deal with that anymore. Water intrusion is notorious on the 924, causing corrosion on the fuse panel and other electronic parts, too. Check under the battery for corrosion since that's the main place the water can get into the cabin. Rain water washes off the battery and lets acid eat away the metal below the battery and lets that same water/acid into the cabin to eat away the parts below and causes corrosion inside. Some guys have had to cut out all the metal below the battery to fix it, others have been able to get away with using a layer of sealant to prevent further damage. Depends on your skill level in how to deal with it.

The cracked dash is a big factor. You might soon grow tired of looking at it, at which point your options are a dash cap or a whole new da$h. Getting harder to find these days.

I just think the 944 is a bit more refined than the 924 and other than a few quirks like the timing belt maintanence, is a better buy for the money. To each his own.

Sorry to be such a Debbie-downer here. These cars ARE a blast to drive but are so low on power it takes a lot of the fun out of it, IMO. I think you can do better for the same money but it will take some time of searching and being patient until the condition and pricing come together to make it a great buying/owning experience. From what I've seen recently, that price is getting you into the early used Boxster range or close to it.

Wish you luck on your purchase and hopefully the seller will come down on the price a bit.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imo i think the base 924 is great to drive, more fun and connected, and the engine is a simpler and more robust design. The oval dash is better built for sure, and hvac is much better, but it also lacks any charm and looks like a 90s jap car. Electrics under the dash is not fun though. Though ive only driven ROW cars, that might affect it a bit

The dogleg box on the na cars is the hardest to find any parts for, is it in good condition?
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roast-meister Cedric on the 944:
Cedric wrote:
lacks any charm and looks like a 90s jap car

Buy a late 924NA and apply this recipe, you wont need or want anything else.
For me, this beats a lot of “better cars”.
https://www.the924.com/?page1
Cedric  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
Roast-meister Cedric on the 944:
Cedric wrote:
lacks any charm and looks like a 90s jap car

Buy a late 924NA and apply this recipe, you wont need or want anything else.
For me, this beats a lot of “better cars”.
https://www.the924.com/?page1

Naah, thats just how it looks. Some like that 90s generic look, some like me like the 70s style, i wish it didnt have to come with the brittle plastics though
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree, and re-submit my thoughts of getting a 2L 924.
Legitimate Salvage  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I thought German cars were required to use brittle plastics?

2) I don’t like Boxters and I really DON’T want a ragtop.

And M0rghen, we’ve been emailing already. I’m seriously considering getting this car and installing your supercharger kit.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legitimate Salvage wrote:
...I’m seriously considering getting this car and installing your supercharger kit.

Now THAT would... make you want better brakes! LOL
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was instructing at Porsche club events (356s and 911s) back in the '70s when the 924 came out. The first student car that I drove looked great until I hit the gas pedal. WTF??? what's wrong with the engine? Handling was great but it was very underwhelming. Fast forward several years and a student showed up with a 931. Now that is what Porsche should have come out with in the beginning. It had the handling, great brakes and an engine that was the equivalent of the car.
I suspect that Morgan's update to the original 924 would have made it THE CAR to buy back then. Hopefully, he will sell a ton of them and the value of the original 924s will skyrocket (after we have all invested in a few more at today's prices).
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: