Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Transaxle noise diagnosis help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DentalFlossTycoon  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Transaxle noise diagnosis help Reply with quote

Hello, everyone, and happy 9/24 Day. I’m hoping you all can help me diagnose a transaxle noise.

The car is a 1978 with the four-speed. The noise occurs when the clutch is in and the car is in a low gear. It varies with engine speed and does not occur when underway (clutch out, in gear) or while shifting into higher gears.

In this video we have a cold start in neutral. I put the clutch in, shift into first gear and rev a little, which starts the noise. I put it in neutral with the clutch still in, and the noise continues until I let the clutch out, when it stops. Then I do the same in reverse (sequence is clutch in, shift into gear, rev to start noise, neutral, clutch out to stop the noise).

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/HaYG7xrJ1tA

For more context, I recently was monkeying with the shifter and may have messed up a bushing when pressing the lever assembly back together. The shifter action changed, getting looser and clunkier while shifting. Then I drove it for 1300 hard miles on a rally, including 100 miles on rough dirt roads. The noise began at the very end of that trip.

I had replaced the clutch and throw out bearing (new from Sachs) 7,000 miles ago, and I installed and adjusted a new OEM clutch cable 1,400 miles ago.

Thanks for your input!
Rafael  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. That noise was made by my car, years ago, the same as yours. When I stepped on the clutch it rang and stopped ringing when I released it. I changed, clutch, clutch bearing and transaxle.
At the end it was a bearing between the clutch and the transaxle.
I hope it helps.
DentalFlossTycoon  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think I need to replace the throwout bearing. I had thought it was coming from the transaxle, but there's no mechanical explanation for how it could be. I think the torque tube is probably "carrying" the noise to the rear. I'm going to try to listen with a stethoscope before I begin the horrible job if getting to the clutch.
DentalFlossTycoon  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Updates Reply with quote

When I went in to access the clutch I discovered that the pilot bearing was completely destroyed. Replacing the pilot bearing was a huge, painful ordeal for me. Now that it is all put back together with a new pilot bearing, I’m troubleshooting a new noise, a rubbing or loud bearing noise that I hear from inside the car and when the clutch is engaged (neutral or in gear). When I disengage the clutch, the noise is gone. I think I have a transaxle issue as well. Listening with a stethoscope it’s loudest at the transaxle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: