Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

if buying new custom pistons from eurace check this out firs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coconutcowboy  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while you are having custom pistons made why not have them made to work with a liteweight 4340 or titanium or stock GTI rod. It weighs less than a stock 924 unit.

to use it You will need to have the crank offset ground down to the size of the GTI rod's big end. This will give you more stroke and cubic inches and lighten the crank at the same time. faster revs.

Have the piston made so as to maintain valve to piston clearance for a non interference engine setup as per original.

Also have the piston made oversized and with a high compression while you are at it. the cost for the custom pistons will still be the same!!! according to george at eurorace.

while you are putting this motor together use zero gap ring from a company like total seal.

Use a good plasmoly first ring, total seal gapless moly faced 2nd rings and a good low tension 3 piece oil control ring set. No more built in cylinder compression leak down.

also have the wrist pin and piston skirt and pin busing coated with an antifiction coating.

and have the piston head treated with a thermal barrier coating. same with the combustion chamber and vavle heads. nice but not necessary

stems, guides ,springs,locks, retainers, keeper's, spring seats, cam followers and cams, and above all the oil pump gears can be coated at the same time. reduces friction and wear, especially on dry starts.

price is reasonably cheap from ebs I believe. check them out.

even if you don't do the thermal barrier coatings done do the friction reducing coatings for long parts life.

remeber 924 parts are getting harder and harder to find and it seems if few or anybody are making new ones for use. Protect your investment.

also use a cooler tstat, fan switch, dual fans if you can get them and 6 blade vw, audi , porsche fan blades, oil cooler, hd radiator and above all a good dino or better yet synthetic oil.

your car and wallet will thank you as the years and miles pass by.

Sean Ross A@P

[ This Message was edited by: coconutcowboy on 2002-06-07 14:44 ]
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean, do you know what the big-end diameter is on the GTI?

Did all the GTI's use the same rod? Vaguely remember that they were all the same stroke and VW just changed the bore.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this what Eurorace did to get that 2.4L 924 motor? I know they used GTI rods on that one, but I don't know about the crank, and I haven't been able to get a address for Eurorace. Do they have a website or email address you could share?
coconutcowboy  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

euro race

call 1 - 800 -722 - 8678. Ask for george.

Sean REoss A@P
coconutcowboy  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Peter it is how they did it. But they welded material to the crank to get extra sroke.

I would have the journals offset ground as much as possible without welding .

2.2 litre, maybe 2.3 and not welding your crank. more reliability.

[ This Message was edited by: coconutcowboy on 2002-06-09 04:59 ]
coconutcowboy  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be buying a GTI manual and rods to get the rod specs. will post soon.

[ This Message was edited by: coconutcowboy on 2002-06-24 13:56 ]
Joes924  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What will it bring the stroke and cubes up to I know the GT and GTP cars had alot of stroke and way more cubes..Do you know
coconut. Joe
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-24 15:26, Joes924 wrote:
What will it bring the stroke and cubes up to I know the GT and GTP cars had alot of stroke and way more cubes..Do you know
coconut. Joe

Are you talking about the Carrera GT, GTS, and GTR? They're all 1984cc's. If not, nevermind!
tmb-racing  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct-the D-production 924 was the only car over the 2.0. The rest were boosted with turbo's.(and a few other things).
Blas Costagli  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"6 blade VW, Audi, or Porsche fan blades"
Can you be more specific here...
coconutcowboy  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the performance catalog they have an updated fan to fit the 924 / 968 radiator shroud. It is 6 bladed instead of the 3 or 4 blades the stock units use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: