Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

#13: Heading to Hershey: Another 931 Rescue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish me luck boys! Getting ready to hit the road
Rocco R16V  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trip went FLAWLESSLY. Everything went exactly according to plan, smooth as glass, no troubles, no tickets, no surprises

Still a little undecided on exactly what direction I want to go. I don't plan to sell it, nor to part it out. I'm currently thinking about a pseudo-restore, and might go in the direction of a "club sport" type of setup. So delete the terrible rear seat, remove both power mirrors, and install a LHS-only manual mirror (which I have in my stash). The car is dolomite grey, so when it comes time to respray (which it will need), I'll probably keep it that color. I'm also toying around with just leaving it in satin black, but we'll see how serious I get about the "restore". I don't think I'll do any major engine mods, but rather, keep it in it's stock 177BHP Euro-spec form. I *might* consider a boost controller, but that's about the extent of engine mods.

I was hoping for an LSD on that G31, but no such luck, ah well. Haven't driven it yet, other than pulling onto the trailer, and won't be attempting anything more than that until the timing belt & tension roller are changed. So, I don't yet know the condition of the gearbox. I have plenty of G31s lying about, so regardless, it'll keep a G31 of some sort.

The hood is not original, and has been sprayed black primer. I suspect some trauma to the hood because of some suspicious scarring in a few areas, but I have a spare 931 hood to swap on if that turns out to be the case.

The worst issue is the rear LHS quarter panel, as it will definitely require some bump work and repaint. All in all, however, the damage is not too terrible, so I'm confident I'll be able to retain the chassis. The Euro bumpers don't mount up straight, and haven't had a chance to investigate why. I suspect bent brackets. The car was definitely federalized by a private party. The front fenders have Mercedes side markers added on just ahead of the wheels, and the rear round side markers are also add ons, as they're surface mounted, rather than flush mounted like a US car. So as part of the restore, I will remove both of those, fill in the holes, and retain the Euro side markers aft of the front wheels.

The interior is interesting for sure. A/C delete, so it has an OEM volt meter and an aftermarket boost gauge, which I will definitely be changing out for a VDO unit. It has manual window regulators with the rare PORSCHE script door cards, but some idiot damaged them where the door pulls attach. The damage is pretty severe, but I might be able to have Bob at Classic 9 do something to repair them. TBD. Would be a shame to not be able to keep them.

Both front seats are in UNBELIEVABLE condition. They have the same grey tweed that's in my 81 NA, and they are nearly pristine, just a little dirty, but no tears, no obvious wear, and the piping is in excellent shape. The rear seats, on the contrary, are in AWFUL condition. The carpet isn't too terribly bad, but the rear quarter liners are in bad shape, as is the headliner, and the carpet near the quarter liners is completely missing.

The car runs, started right up. No apparent oil leaks, although there is residue on the head and around the turbo, fairly common, but no major drips. No smoking at all on startup. Have not had a chance to see if the turbo spools, and again, won't be testing that out until the timing belt is changed. The upper charge tube somehow managed to get a giant hole in it, which the PO "fixed" by wrapping it in duct tape. Good thing I have a spare S2 upper charge tube on the shelf. It also has an aftermarket strut brace of a make I've never before seen, which is pretty cool, will take photos of that later. It's missing the correct S2 ignition distributor, but runs with a plain jane NA dizzy, so I'll replace that with one of the two DITC dizzies I have on the shelf.

It has five lug suspension, and has front and rear sways, haven't had a chance to see if it's the M471 package. The spiderwebs appear to have been rattle canned in satin black, but they actually look pretty darn good.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the car, especially for what I paid. It will definitely be a fun project to bring back to life.
Buwani 931  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good find. Keep the Dolomite, beautiful color.
How the hell do you get a hole in the upper charge tube? Meteor shower?

Shawn
skytrooper  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky bastage !

I am glad it all is seeming to work out Dan !

1987 - 924S "Black Pearl"
1982 - BMW 633CSi
1984 - BMW 528e
1983 - 944 N/A "Blue Max" (Gone)
1981 - 931 "Scarlet Harlot" (Gone)
1976 911S Targa (Gone)
tyfighter123  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like its just what you wanted. Keep us all posted on how the restore goes!
Porsche 911S 1976
Porsche 931 1980
Porsche 931 1980 (parts car)
Min  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, your wife must be a very tolerant person nice purchase.

Min
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Buwani
Yeah, I love the Dolomite, it is very nice. Actually looks quite good with the blacked out spiderwebs. The thing I can't figure out is the silver bumpers! As for the hole in the charge tube, haven't had a chance to investigate, but I'll post pix later when I replace it.

@Min
Yeah, my wife is tolerant, but I also know how to negotiate...I had to get rid of the 944 parts donor (not a huge loss, but hadn't finished stripping it, so lost some sellable parts to make room for this one); I also had to agree to let her get the new puppy she's been wanting for a while. We're picking up an 8-week old Bernese Mountain Dog this coming Thursday, which she is going to rear as a therapy dog. It's going to become the resident therapy dog at Henry Ford Hospital main campus.
Min  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwahaha, that's good stuff

Min
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pix.

Last edited by ideola on Wed May 22, 2013 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
JayZzzz4  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice turbo, now how many porsche's have you bought? You have to be around 10 or close to it. Man, I wish I lived by you, you have way too much fun over there with your projects
Benino  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got a great deal there. I love the Dolomite also.
I don't know how you can manage so many cars and projects.
I have 3 and half cars and after working 40 hours a week I feel like I can't keep up with them.

I was too anxious when I got my 931, so I didn't get a good deal on it. It's an 80 931 and is also Dolomite. Looks like a twin of Buwani 931's (same wheels too)
I currently have a repaint project underway on it. So it will actually look as good as his soon!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, yeah, it keeps me busy and never enough time for everything. Here's the current run down of cars:
  • SONIC06: 1981 NA: middle son is driving this one, stock, everything mechanical is in great shape. Was in good cosmetic conidition, but after two boys learning how to drive, it's got some body damage now.
  • GEBLASN: 1981 931: eldest son is driving this one, stock, well sorted, but needs some minor body work here and there
  • 941: 1980 931: will be totally restored and on the road by March / April, tons of mods
  • SH4RK: 1980 928: bone stock and in great mechanical repair, needs interior restoration, but it's fine for now.
  • UBER931: 1980 931: the never ending ultra wide body project
  • 1981 Euro 931: runs, but needs lots of TLC
  • 924S parts car
Everything else has either been sold or parted out, consisting of a 1987 924S (sold and still running), a 1981 WSE (sold and still running), a 1979 NA (sold and current condition unknown), two 1980 931s (parted and scrapped), and a 1985.5 944 (parted and scrapped). So I guess that makes a total of 13 so far.

941 is #1 priority. It's pretty much ready to go mechanically, although I'm in the process of swapping in an LSD-equipped G31. Otherwise, the rest of the work is all cosmetic, finishing up the new paint job and all the little details to make the car look pristine. After that is the UWB, but I will attend to preventive items as I'm able on the new Euro 931 so I can get it on the road, make it legal, and keep it running regularly. Of course, if any of the five runners break down, repairs always take precedence, but I've had really good luck with that since I got rid of that troublesome 87 924S.
ZODIAC  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola, were you that kid that took in all the strays that happened through the neighborhood growing up?

nice find man, looks like it will be a good project to breathe some new life into. good luck.
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as she sits now.

Full build details here.

Shots of her before I got the Toyo R888s and club sport wheels installed, but showing the rest of the restoration and modifications:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: