Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

UK 1980 Series 1 Turbo project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Days!! Had the car checked over yesterday and was given a reasonable clean bill of heath. Apart from a few electrical niggles which appeared on Friday the only major items were

Play in the CV's
Play in the diff carrier bearings
Fuel pipe corrosion

The only disappointment was that I had hoped they'd have looked into and sorted the fuelling/ignition during the visit as I had asked. So I came away with the same issues I went with. Guess was that the fuelling had been leaned off to pass the MOT test one month ago and had not been richened back. A dyno run should highlight and rectify this.

However on Friday I started to replace all the vacuum elbows and this morning replaced two straight sections. One of which due to the steel reinforcement was very corroded/perished. Voila the car now runs spot on compared to before. I also tweaked the fuel mixture to richen it and every slight turn allowed the car to rev up faster and higher than before. I plan to get the car on a dyno in the next week or so to get the fuel and ignition spot on. I am now a very happy camper, however ..... the new found speed really shows up the tired suspension and soft brakes !!!

Next plan of action

New tyres, can't decided on 205/60x15 Pirelli P7 or 205/55x15 Toyo Proxes
New coil over suspension probably Gaz units
Full Proflex bush replacement front and rear
Brake overhaul
Replace corroded fuel line
Source an LSD
New Momo Alcantara steering wheel
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missing my 931 this week. Its in the paint shop getting some remedial work done. Roof repaint and touching in here and there. Bottled it on the lower half being painted Guards Red so need to update my avatar to an all white car. My mate at the paint shop also backed my decision by refusing to do the paint work if I had told him to go red.

I have bought some 944 Turbo suspension, hubs and brakes to improve the stopping and handling of the 931. As soon as I pick it all up I'll start to refurbish with new poly bushes prior to fitting in a few weeks.

Whilst I have access to the 944 Turbo can anyone confirm if the driveshafts are compatible. I have some play in one of the CV's and need to replace.

I also replaced the 185/70 front and 205/70 rear tyres which came on the car. Spent a heap of time considering either 205/60 or 205/55 tyres. I know the 205/60 were and option tyre and gave a similar rolling radius as the stock 185/70 tyres but I also wanted sharper handling, firmer ride especially when the suspension work/lowering was done. So went for a deal on Toyo T1R 205/55x15. Not my first choice of tyre but will be far more suitable than the previous tyres.

Momo Monte Carlo steering wheel was also fitted. Combined with the new tyres has certainly helped lightening up the turning weight and is less of a workout on the biceps!!

Will post up updated pics as soon as I get the car back.
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to the pix.

I don't understand your question about the half shafts...compatible with what? And the answer will depend on what year the 951 is...

To sum it up, all early offset cars use the same half shaft, so they are freely interchangeable up to the 1986 model year across the 924 / 931 / 924S / 944 / 951 family. In 87, the 944/951 came with late offset and these require a longer half shaft. The 968 has uneven half shafts, so one side is shorter than the other...

Hope this helps, but if not, clarify what you're asking and I'm sure someone will have the answer!
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan, I think you answered my question. Compatible with my 931. Not sure the age of the 951 but if its an '86 model and the drive shafts are good then I'll pick them up to swap out with my worn shafts.

Also any idea if the stock 951 shocks/springs will raise/lower or make no difference to the front ride height?
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

951 springs and dampers are to soft, especially if the dampers have some miles on them. Buy some GAZ instead. Why change the brakes? They will cope with all thinkable track abuse. Do some refurbishing with changed seals and clean the calipers up, then change to a proper brake fluid and pads.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cédric wrote:
951 springs and dampers are to soft, especially if the dampers have some miles on them. Buy some GAZ instead. Why change the brakes? They will cope with all thinkable track abuse. Do some refurbishing with changed seals and clean the calipers up, then change to a proper brake fluid and pads.

Planning to add 951 hubs and Brembo's all round with M030 suspension and ARBs. However the M030 shocks are hard to find so considered using the stock 951 shocks for the short term whilst searching.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!

GAZ Gold coilovers fitted with new discs, Mintex racing pads by EMC over the last week or so. Picked it up today........

Lower and harder than I was expecting but only what you could expect from an outfit that prep race cars. I can adjust the damping off a little and lift the car if need be but it was set up as a road/track compromise. Its not as low nor firm as a race car but too far for many tastes. The brakes are now spot on with plenty of bite and feel. All in I am happy. Money spent is way more than many would deem appropriate on this age/value car but I can pick and choose how I spend my cash. Its not my daily drive so I am not going to suffer too much in the back dept.

I have fitted a MOMO wheel. Removed under carpet heavy insulation, rear seat, rear window wiper to reduce weight. It has been corner weighed, measured and aligned and drives round corners on rails. It is bang on 50/50 weight in all directions.

Here's some quick picks in the dry spell before getting home.

ic932  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, shes sitting low with plenty of negative camber!

Love the rear wiper delete.
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic, absolutely beautiful!
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice .. nice steering wheel momo that was some bucks. .. the stance is nice ( ride height). Looks ready to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
9xx  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is a really good looking car!

All gone: 931 '82 Alpine White, original option "220" G31 with LSD + 3 x 944
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. I am really pleased. Had a chance to give it run down some 'B' roads this afternoon. The car is really composed on bumps. Turn in is spot on and next to no body roll in the corners. Its really hard when driving at normal speeds on our apres winter pot holed roads. Just need to keep the speed up.

Down side is its rattled the hatch pins into submission so need to renew them as they are shot. The clutch is riding high in its travel and I have very little material left. Need to start saving again for that job!!

Brakes are spot on now they've bedded in.

Happy Days
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: