Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

copy of 937 DITC unit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RC  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGyver wrote:
Diodes which needs to be checked:

v11 diode?? - could be replaced to 1N4148
v2 diode?? - could be replaced to 1N4148
v3 diode?? - could be replaced to 1N4148
v8 diode?? - could be replaced to 1N4148
v7 diode?? - could be replaced to 1N4148
v15 diode?? - could be replaced to 1N4148
v9 diode?? - could be replaced to 1N4148

Try measuring FV on unmarked small signal diodes and compare to common 1N4148.

McGyver wrote:

Capacitors (most are WIMA - http://www.wima.com)

C12 100K 200V - i think it's 100pF
C2 101K 200V - i think it's 1nF
C3 101K 200V - i think it's 1nF
C25 101K 200V - i think it's 1nF

As you`ve discovered there are different standards for marking cap values. With this series the first two digits are the units and third digit the multiplier, as in number of zeros. All values in pF. Letter indicates the tolerance.

For example 100K is 10pF @ 10%.
101K = 100 pF @ 10%

F = +/- 1%
G = 2%
J = 5%
K = 10%
M = 20%

Gegge, please don`t think I`m criticizing your eyesight or ability on those resistor values listed as they mostly appear to be very unique values, not fitting E12 or E24 series. Virtually all that McGyver listed are common E12. Appreciate that precision tolerance custom values may be required for some but since it is much more expensive (especially for say 400 - 500 units) designers will use 2 common values (still say 1%) in series or parallel to achieve what`s needed.

Some of these multiband resistors are very difficult to identify by markings, especially old ones that may be discoloured due to age/ fading/ or overheating. Also E12 (3 band) fused or thermal resistors often are banded with the value, which then really becomes confusing. Unlikely to be many in this case though except in output stages. The last band SHOULD be brown !%, red 2% or even gold 5%. Harder when both ends have a brown or red band but see if they fall into common values read from either end.

Personally would scrape a little lacquer off or pierce through to solder with meter probe underneath to actually measure the values. Good that these units are still somewhat functional re component values and most values are duplicated making confirmation easier.

Keep at it guys, the OE fellas should bow down in respect. Meanwhile the performance mod guys have built numerous fully programmable ignition units, and a few EFI/ignition ECUs and installed them.
McGyver  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take out all resistors from PCB and check it with multimeter and confirm by barcode, so that all have to be correct. Most of them are in 5% tolerance group but not all, I add it later.
I correct that capacitors values which was listed before.

The most trouble thing is one diode:
V10 diode?? - 457TK (or TD 6|8 ITT)
I'm not sure what is it... propably some shottky but I can't find any accurate datasheet for that.

Another interesting thing is I think relase number on PCB:
US:05.21.01 c
ROW:05.21.01 d

And we have this "d" near track cutted in US version (7-th leg from MC14001BC). We can see that on pics before posted by Gegge and me.

Ideola - if you can please send me few good photos from your German unit - I add it to colection so maybe I found something more.

The best would be photos from 937 unit if someone have any??

I started this project becouse I don't want to change original DITC for aftermarket computers, but If we can fully understand how it works.. we could make one which will fit in original place. And if we have complete docummentation for DITC we could easly repair it or tune to orginal settings without spending 800Euros on it

I think what to do next maybe finnish print of PCB and go for ideological scheme... and after that I shuld be able to make some logical tables for whole unit.

SOLD: 924 81' N/A- with turbo gearbox "dogleg" - great but mysterious car
www.mauser98k.internetdsl.pl - if someone like german rifles (English version avalible)
Min  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is hardcore, hats off to you guys seriously. Reverse engineering is very difficult work.

Min
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cedric  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This must be the best thread on the board at the moment Great work!
RC  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGyver wrote:
The most trouble thing is one diode:
V10 diode?? - 457TK (or TD 6|8 ITT)
I'm not sure what is it... propably some shottky but I can't find any accurate datasheet for that.

I can`t either ATM from what I have available. Considering the age has likely been obsolete for a quarter of a century, and could easily be a custom ID for Bosch anyway.

Don`t think that application would require the speed of a schottky although they were sometimes used with 4000 series logic ICs. Can you measure and post the forward voltage of the diode to give a good indication of type as schottkys have a low FV.

Due to the size, markings are often limited and prefixes omitted. Possibly a 1N series 1N457. My data only lists an "A" suffix (upgrade) but could TK be Telefunken? Presume the other is an ITT brand?
1N457 is a universal silicon diode 75V, 75mA. "A" is 200mA. Still only a guess, forward voltage will reveal more.

McGyver wrote:
I started this project becouse I don't want to change original DITC for aftermarket computers, but If we can fully understand how it works.. we could make one which will fit in original place. And if we have complete docummentation for DITC we could easly repair it or tune to orginal settings without spending 800Euros on it

Yes, I know. Was just stirring really. Readily admit to spending heaps of time on similar missions with little economical benefit but much personal satisfaction. If we all adopted the most practical and cost effective option this board would not exist and we all would be driving Toyotas.
McGyver  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check forward voltage for that diode and it was something about 0,92-0,93V so it's to much for shottky. Yes I'm quite sure TK is Telefunken.
This diode can't be made specially for DITC's becouse I've got different two diodes from two different manufacturers in the same place.
Take a closer look to sing writen under that diode on PCB. It's a little wider than the rest diode signs, and definitely it's not the Zener sign what could be checked under that 4,7 zener diode.
I think that strange diode could have some capacitor inside - or how it names capacitor-diode? I think we find something soon
Definitelly it's not zener - I checked it to 20V on puncture voltage and nothing happends.

I make photos of that diodes - 1'st and 2'nd... is that what we talking about.
Third is standard diode used in most parts of PCB and last is that Zener diode which gives 4,7V to our DITC's

I'm little lazy last times And that's what I finish for now... complete mess whatever it is

www.mauser98k.internetdsl.pl - if someone like german rifles (English version avalible)
RC  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pic of the mystery diode #2 sure looks like a common (1A) GP rectifier, but considering the vintage it`s really anyones guess as sizes were usually much larger than today. The #1 pic of the diode in same location appears to be glass? Can`t read full ID on it anyway. At 0.93 FV agree that it`s not a schottky. If other zeners are marked on PCB with correct symbol and that one is just diode, very good chance its not a zener. Also most unlikely a zener would be over 20V unless it is for overvoltage/ spike protection. As the circuit diagram develops the location should give more indication. You are drawing a schematic, I presume?

Have looked at some early and/or obsolete listings of different prefix series and nothing with "457" comes up except a "1S457". Google can`t find me a data sheet without paying for it.

However my first guess of a 1N457 is looking like a good candidate, physical size, application and FV. Allowing for different meter current, capacitance, and other variables your forward voltage of 0.923 is on par with the 1.0V spec.

Fairchild semiconductors wrote:
1N457/A
Small Signal Diode
Absolute Maximum Ratings* TA = 25°C unless otherwise noted
*These ratings are limiting values above which the serviceability of any semiconductor device may be impaired.
NOTES:
1) These ratings are based on a maximum junction temperature of 200 degrees C.
2) These are steady state limits. The factory should be consulted on applications involving pulsed or low duty cycle operations.
Thermal Characteristics
DO-35
Color Band Denotes Cathode
2002 Fairchild Semiconductor Corporation
Electrical Characteristics TA = 25°C unless otherwise noted
Symbol Parameter Value Units
VRRM Maximum Repetitive Reverse Voltage 70 V
IF(AV) Average Rectified Forward Current 200 mA
IFSM Non-repetitive Peak Forward Surge Current
Pulse Width = 1.0 second
Pulse Width = 1.0 microsecond
A
A
Tstg Storage Temperature Range -65 to +200 °C
TJ Operating Junction Temperature 175 °C
Symbol Parameter Value Units
PD Power Dissipation 500 mW
RθJA Thermal Resistance, Junction to Ambient 300 °C/W
Symbol Parameter Test Conditions Min Max Units
VR Breakdown Voltage IR = 100 μA 70 V
VF Forward Voltage 1N457
1N457A
IF = 20 mA
IF = 100 mA
V
V
IR Reverse Current VR = 60 V
VR = 60 V, TA = 150°C
nA
μA
CT Total Capacitance 1N457 VR = 0, f = 1.0 MHz 8.0 pF

Great achievement on PCB layout. Is it a double sided board or running jumpers on top where tracks cross?

Edit: Obviously didn`t copy the formatting with the text but hopefully you`ll understand.
McGyver  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1N457 should be that what we need. I found somewhere datasheet for it and that's look good.
Yes the PCB is double sided with just 4 optional jumpers. I almost finish bootom layer and right now I have to complete top side, and the worst thing will be check everything at least two times to make sure everything is made ok. After that I'll have to change track width and profiles to make sure they're strong enough for currents in DITC.
I planed to draw the scheme for it but this take some more time - it's not to easy to do it but should reveal how inputs/outputs work

Work in progress....

Sentinal  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this whole thing very interesting. So out of curiosity if, i mean when, you get it all sorted as to how the gates work would it be possible to input that information into a plc with fbd capability to work as an ignition computer? Storing two or three maps into it and changing them with a switch may be quite easy would it not?
stevekat  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is this project coming?

Gone to new home: '81 924T, US version, CGT Intercooler, UTCIS-PT, Euro DITC, Greddy Trust MBC, Forged Fuchs Flat Dish 6's, Factory Recaro's.
michal928  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The project died... One of the two DITC`s was disassembled and the result of this experiment we can see on this topic. The second he was repaired and he use it in his car... He stole my idea and the one of the DITC those adressed for me from one of the person from forum. I can not experiment because I have not bad DITC - I can not disassemble my good DITC from my car... He is no serious man who is like to be in the center of the spotlight. Now he have new idea to produce center caps for alloy wheels - by the way - the idea who he stole from any other forum person in Poland...
The idea for build DITC was an enthusiasm for short time (IMHO center caps too). It is brutal but true...
ic932  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michal928 wrote:
The project died... One of the two DITC`s was disassembled and the result of this experiment we can see on this topic. The second he was repaired and he use it in his car... He stole my idea and the one of the DITC those adressed for me from one of the person from forum. I can not experiment because I have not bad DITC - I can not disassemble my good DITC from my car... He is no serious man who is like to be in the center of the spotlight. Now he have new idea to produce center caps for alloy wheels - by the way - the idea who he stole from any other forum person in Poland...
The idea for build DITC was an enthusiasm for short time (IMHO center caps too). It is brutal but true...

Well I know Michal has electronic knowledge....you kept RC onboard too so ... Michal928, i sold you a ecu in perfect working order. I think I also sold the other michal from Poland one also? Either way, thats sad to hear?
michal928  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ic932 - i bought from you an ECU but for my friend who is older man and he have 931 in good but not working condition. I have not any DITC to start project from scratch - McGuyver done the project all alone.
I thought that McGuyver (Michal from Poland too) will finish work on the project despite this unpleasant fact of DITC theft sent from Nein but now he is silent.
I can start working on DITC on winter - now i have many work with friends cars. I must finish the project of the foto time counter for our porsche race in september and now i have not time.
Maybe McGuyver will finish work or only give as a circuit diagram of the DITC - this will save many time of hard work to understand "how ditc work", "how convert it to 937" and maybe save the ignition map of series ecu.
I would ask administrators about security because McGuyver can delete your own posts with important information.
ic932  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michal928 wrote:
Ic932 - i bought from you an ECU but for my friend who is older man and he have 931 in good but not working condition. I have not any DITC to start project from scratch - McGuyver done the project all alone.
I thought that McGuyver (Michal from Poland too) will finish work on the project despite this unpleasant fact of DITC theft sent from Nein but now he is silent.
I can start working on DITC on winter - now i have many work with friends cars. I must finish the project of the foto time counter for our porsche race in september and now i have not time.
Maybe McGuyver will finish work or only give as a circuit diagram of the DITC - this will save many time of hard work to understand "how ditc work", "how convert it to 937" and maybe save the ignition map of series ecu.
I would ask administrators about security because McGuyver can delete your own posts with important information.

I still don't know who did what to whom and of course it's not my buisness. I would say this though, I have dealt with Michal over a number of years now and OK, as a seller there is little/no chance of me being ripped off but I find it hard to believe that a deliberate act of malice on Michals part is credable.

You are obviously working together quite closley on this stuff? Are you sure you havn't just had a bust-up?
Nein37  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn the two free DITCs will come to nothing. BTW consider one of those units as a donation from Ideola, he hooked me up in my time of need and freed up the second damaged unit to be donated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: