Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Funky Temp. Needle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
924Kid  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this is probably common..but, when I drive my car, it tends to run a little hot (no, still have'nt fixed that problem). Anyway, the needle will be halfway or slightly over while the engines running (when not moving). Then when I shut it off, but keep the key in the 2nd position so that all the warning lights and needles are on the needle will read MUCH lower. Whats goin on with that? Before I waste my precious time wondering why the engine is hot, could it be the temp gauge? I've heard the gauge click long ago, and once I think it even smoked to the point where condensation was built up on a wet morning.(But that was about 2 years ago, and it hasn't happened since then). I think I have lots of trouble with the guages as my speedometer also went about a year ago. Any help is MUCH appreciated!

[ This Message was edited by: 924kid on 2001-09-06 13:46 ]
D Hook  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to try just taking out that gauge and cleaning the terminal. It's pretty easy to get out. Reach up from underneath and push it out. When's it's out, you'll see a round connecting terminal that plugs to the back of the gauge. Gently pry it off and slip it on and off a few times to make sure you have a good contact. I did this when I was changing the gauge faces from black to white and now my fuel gauge doesn't flutter around like it used to. You might also want to check ebay and see if you can pick up a used gauge and try that. They usually go pretty cheap. Or drop a line to Porschepartsemporium@yahoo.com (Chris Theobald) Chris usually has an extra gauge or two laying around he'd like to sell.
-nick  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2001 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a note on the condensation- it's not from the gauge smoking, just regular water condensation that leaks past the gauge seals. my gauges will do it on really wet mornings too. nothing to worry about there.

your actual gauge is probably fine, i would check/or add some ground wires. you can never have too many. also, the sender is a spade connection on the back of the head that can get loose and make readings a little funny too.

btw- ditto on dealing with Chris though, he's a good guy.

-nick
Mike B  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2001 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add another ground like Nick said...Had a simliar problem after the engine rebuild...I had a ground from the battery to the block and when operating the temp guage would be near the high side and into the red in no time...Thought I had cooling system problems so I went through the whole cooling system which, of course, was fine...

I added another ground from the block to the frame and presto the guage never goes above half...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: