Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Buzzing behind! (at higher rpms)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StienbargerR  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Buzzing behind! (at higher rpms) Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I do recall a few discussions about the rear ends being noisy, but I have much luck finding them.

Anyway, like the thread says, My car makes a buzzy vibrating noise in higher rpms. I recently inspected the transaxle area, and found a loose fuel pump. I tightened it, but I am still getting alot of noise/ vibration at about late 4k-5k rpms. I checked the torque on the cv bolts, they all seemed fine. I also have re greased the cv's pretty recently.

Any suggestions of what I should check? I must add that I do not currently have the sound deadening carpeting in, but the noise is so loud I'm sure that it wouldn't make much of a diffference.

Thanks,
Ryan

edit- Should also add that this buzzing is not the type of buzz that a running fuel pump makes.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Buzzing behind! (at higher rpms) Reply with quote

StienbargerR wrote:
I must add that I do not currently have the sound deadening carpeting in, but the noise is so loud I'm sure that it wouldn't make much of a diffference.

We might have to agree to disagree on that.
I've noticed that the sound deadening makes a huge difference.
I was noticing my normally noisey transmission just the other day. Can hear it clear as day, and I have the factory sound deadening, and the carpeting, plus a thick padded removable carpet piece on top of that. That probably adds up to 1.25" of sound insulation.
Drove it a bit a couple years ago with nothing back there after finishing my repaint and it was crazy noisey.

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
RC  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn`t be the exhaust vibrating/ resonating?
Have had problems with mufflers and resonator not supported sufficiently, flexing, and breaking internally or around end flange.

Agree that it is noisier without the sound deadening but not dramatically and nothing that a few extra watts through your woofers can`t overcome.
joecitizennn  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tranny noise is common in our cars. I have noticed diffirent levels of noise between cars with equally good transaxles. Gear lash, mount condition, wear and especially sound matting have effect on this aspect of the 924. I am so used to it I seldom pay it any mind. I have been through several junk porsches and hand picked a quiet tranny that has great synchros . Its sometimes luck of the draw.
StienbargerR  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the input. I guess I will put the carpet back in for starters. I will definitely check the muffler/ exhaust system. Some of you may know I had an accident in it last year and haven't driven it much since, so maybe a hanger got loose or damaged.

Ryan
Nobbi  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the right amount of oil inside of youre tranny ?

Did you put back on the half-round metall brackets on your drive shafts?
You took them off to re-grease .... In the right place?

Did you lost some balance-weight on your tires ?

Do you run the right tire-pressure?

to be contiued.......
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobbi brings up an excellent point about the tires being a possible culprit. On my daily driver BMW 325i, I had a really loud howling sound that I was almost certain were wheel bearings...sounded just like 'em, and the car was at 160K+ miles so it would have been plausible. However, it turned out to be the tires, believe it or not. A quick and simple rotation fixed the problem.

Take a look at the tread of your rear tires. If you took a hit, it's possible the car is out of alignment and the tires are wearing unevenly.
924guy  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also check the heat guards between the body and tubes... sometimes they can rust loose a bit and make a wicked noise that sounds somewhere between a screaming cat and a bumble bee... it resonates through the whole car and makes it sound like its coming from the rear sometimes, when its actually right under the shifter area...
99' VehiCross
Y2K Honda Insight
http://www.cardomain.com/id/924Guy
Performance by Pasha
StienbargerR  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

924guy, Im not quite sure what exactly you are talking about, but the description of the sound fits the bill. could you expand a little bit about where the screws are?

thanks,
Ryan
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe he is referring to the heat shield that is directly above the torque tube, in the tunnel, and directly between the driver and passenger seat. It is not fastened with traditional nuts or bolts. There are tiny studs welded to the body, and the panel fastens with these funky flat-style speed nuts. If the speed nuts are corroded and have gone missing, the heat shield will come loose over time, and could be vibrating against the torque tube.
924guy  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:
I believe he is referring to the heat shield that is directly above the torque tube, in the tunnel, and directly between the driver and passenger seat. It is not fastened with traditional nuts or bolts. There are tiny studs welded to the body, and the panel fastens with these funky flat-style speed nuts. If the speed nuts are corroded and have gone missing, the heat shield will come loose over time, and could be vibrating against the torque tube.

what he said... ^^^^
99' VehiCross
Y2K Honda Insight
http://www.cardomain.com/id/924Guy
Performance by Pasha
StienbargerR  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, gotcha. I will check that out too

Thanks,
Ryan
Nobbi  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....one more point: Does it make that noise also when parked ?
and does it make a diffrence if you press the clutch pedal ?
StienbargerR  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobbi,

It never makes noise parked, and no noise till past about 3,000 rpm. I put the carpet back in and it helped alot. I also noticed that my passenger side rear tire is wearing abnormally, so I think it is out of alignment. Also, it could probably use some fresh oil in the transaxle.

Thanks for the help all.

Ryan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: