Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Alternator / Compressor Relocation n/a > turbo help plz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gremlin  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Alternator / Compressor Relocation n/a > turbo help plz Reply with quote

Morning Guys

Ive been searching hi and low for solutions and i have not come across anything usefull.

I have a engine, which i made a post about a while ago trying to identify it, it happens to come from an Audi100 GL 2.0L which they produced in South Africa. Well the engine has been completely re-animated and is well on its way to be becoming my rolling frankenstein monster.

Got a wee bit of a hickup. The Compressor / Alternator is located at the bottom next to the oil filter. Like the N/A 924 right... Now, can i use this alternator by any chance to somehow relocate it to where the turbo alternator is situated? which is ofc above the olie pump. I have looked for and at the bracket that the 924 is using but no one has actually discussed or posted about this before...

Pics Provided, Gurus please take a look and make some suggestions!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Gremlin  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Is there none out there? (Alti Issue) Reply with quote

Ding? No suggestions?
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternators are the same. You just need the appropriate bracket setup, a belt and some longer wire.
Gremlin  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems most of the people ive discussed this over with, tell me to just design my own bracket and make sure the belt is alligned properly.

right, will show the results once ive managed... Thanks for the reply mate.
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly certain I have some spare 931 brackets in my parts bin if you're interested.

FYI, the turbo belt is different than the NA belt, so if you use the turbo bracket arrangement, you'll need to order the turbo belt.
Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gremlin wrote:
Seems most of the people ive discussed this over with, tell me to just design my own bracket and make sure the belt is alligned properly.

right, will show the results once ive managed... Thanks for the reply mate.

Buy the proper bracket off Dan. I made my own and had all sorts of problems getting it aligned properly, and the whole thing broke at one stage and stopped me finishing a rally. Porsche spent thousands of hours perfecting the design, so there's no point in you going through the same trial and error process.
www.race4-dcup.co.nz
stevekat  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the 931 bracketry, however I am not sure all the rubber grommets etc. remain available. You need good ones or things twist out of align. You can probably find alternatives to these inserts if you cannot get them from Porsche.

Gone to new home: '81 924T, US version, CGT Intercooler, UTCIS-PT, Euro DITC, Greddy Trust MBC, Forged Fuchs Flat Dish 6's, Factory Recaro's.
flosho  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew NZ wrote:
Porsche spent thousands of hours perfecting the design, so there's no point in you going through the same trial and error process.

I'm not sure that is accurate, but I do agree that the easiest method is to fit the factory brackets and call it good.
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the rubber grommets and pieces are still available new from Porsche. In fact, I just added this kit to my website, basically everything you need to completely refresh the 931 alternator mounting, including the long bolts:
http://garage.ideola.com/prod-Kits.html#931
stevekat  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I found a full set, believe it or not, at a local Porsche shop on the shelf, about 1.5 years ago. My incorrect NLA recollection may have simply been I just got it at the 15 year old price that was in his system, rather than it not being available. My bad.

Gone to new home: '81 924T, US version, CGT Intercooler, UTCIS-PT, Euro DITC, Greddy Trust MBC, Forged Fuchs Flat Dish 6's, Factory Recaro's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: