Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Suspension Upgrades for Ideola's Ultra Wide Body 931
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavin, haven't installed them yet. The rear suspension is scheduled to go in on the 15th (torsion bar indexing, what fun!!!!), after which I'll be able to report back on fitment of the sway bar pieces. But you can hardly go wrong given the price. They're really just basic rod end bits pre-sized and assembled...
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of sway bars, here are pix of the reconditioned (powder-coated) rear 18mm and front 25.5mm bars that I picked up in VA back in May 2008:

And also, the reconditioned torsion carrier wing mounts (media blasted, prepped, and painted with POR15 rust prohibitive paint):

Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torsion bar indexing is not a big deal. With a little help of a excel document from the 944spec site I set mine almost spot on at the first try. Just a bit of minor adjusting at the spring plate..
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, except my suspension is completely apart so I have no reference because I'm installing completely new bars...what I want is 5" ride height with 30mm bars, but I don't have a way to measure the old setup.
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

por 15 is good sh*t.. um looks all good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ic932  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:
Yeah, except my suspension is completely apart so I have no reference because I'm installing completely new bars...what I want is 5" ride height with 30mm bars, but I don't have a way to measure the old setup.

Dan, because you have no reference from the old set-up a rough guide would be to use the thick alloy spacer (this should be the round version for alloy arms an not the oval one). Usually, this alloy spacer provides pre-load on the springplate/t-bar. With 30mm bars you will not be preloading the T-bars. Aim to position the springplates approx 5mm above the spacer. This will get you close to where you want to be with 30mm bars. I find it easier to set the springplates on the lowest ride height setting first.

Once you are in the right zone then you can make precise measurements.
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, that's a great tip, thanks for that, and it also clears up another question...I couldn't figure out which spacer to use, the round or ovoid, so thanks for that too!

I do have the 941 up on stands at the moment, and it's been lowered to 5" ride height, so I think I may be able to use it as a reference point with 23.5mm bars, and do the math from there to figure out where the UWB setup needs to be.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some cardboard templates at home.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the template Vaughan! And also, thanks for the tip about doing the indexing with the control arms OFF. It sure made things a bunch easier. I think Have things set exactly right based on the template, and also based on the ~5mm measurement that Dave mentioned earlier. I got both sides level for sure, and the torsion assembly all put together. I fought with it for about an hour last night trying to get it onto the chassis, and got too tired to continue. I'll try to finish getting it onto the car later this week, as soon as that's done, I can get the rest of the rear suspension assembled and put all four wheels on the ground for the first time in 4 years!
pocketscience  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interested in seeing your 951 rear arms all linked up!

Cheers,
69 911
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could do something like this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tpVBksnAVB8/Sm2pck5bllI/AAAAAAAAAss/bXmUfeA4Ou8/S730/Porsche+944+Turbo+Nostalgia.jpg

ideola  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some progress tonight

On Monday I was able to get the torsion bars pretty close to the right settings thanks to a template that Vaughan provided, plus the tip from ic932. Of course, I won't know for sure until the wheels are on and it's sitting on the ground, but I'm optimistic.

Tonight, I hung the torsion carrier, installed the trailing arms and also the shocks. If all goes according to plan, I'm hoping to get the hubs and rear wheels bolted up tomorrow!

I only had two minor issues with the install. When I first attempted to hang the torsion carrier assembly, the big honker bushing on the LHS torsion cover was hanging up on the inner bolt hole, which apparently had gotten distorted a little when he-who-shall-not-be-named ripped off my five lug suspension. A little creative manipulation with an air chisel hammered it back into shape, and then with some grease for good measure, it slid right into place.

The second minor issue was that the inner trailing arm bushings -- where they attach to the torsion carrier -- had to be surfaced a little because they were just a hair too wide to fit into the bracket. Again, some creative grinding took care of that! Otherwise, everything went together fairly easily.

As a side note, I had previously taken ALL of the suspension hardware and media blasted every single bolt, nut, washer, and spacer, and then had them Cad DiChromated. It sure is nice working with like-new hardware! Also, you can see a few chips in the yellow hardnose paint. Most of that is from meathead me banging things around while assembling or installing. Once I have everything adjusted correctly, I'll probably go back and touch up all the little nicks. And FWIW, the flash on my camera makes the epoxy primer on the chassis look a lot glossier than it does in person. It actually has much more of a satin appearance in person than the photos depict.
pocketscience  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Dan. Love the color-coding.

Looks like you did have to add a few washers on the lower rear shock mount.

Can someone flick me the template? I'm going to be putting all mine back together at some point and getting the torsion bars right is scaring me.

Cheers,
69 911
agfisher  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Dan!
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Gavin, are you going to be mounting those alu arms to your existing torsion carrier? If so, you need to follow the procedure at Clark's garage to make your own template. That process is pretty straight forward, and it includes the correct math for calculating where things should go based on whatever torsion bars you're planning to switch to, as well as how much you might want to lower the ride height. Make your template BEFORE you disassemble your suspension!!!

As noted above, having the torsion carrier on the bench with the trailing arms detached made things much easier.

The one I have was specifically for 30mm torsion bars setup for 5" ride height, so it wouldn't really do you any good unless that's exactly the setup you're planning to run. It was pretty rudimentary...what I may do is see about making a higher quality copy of it...IF it turns out that I got things setup correctly to begin with
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: