Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Valve springs now NLA. Any interest in another group buy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sixty four clams? IN.

Being out here on the Left Coast (where I presume AUS shipping will be cheapest) I also volunteer to receive and distribute US items. In fact, a friend has a GT40 replica coming over soon, we may be able to toss these in the box. Stay tuned.

rasta

P.S. Rog, any word on color for these? I prefer purple, as it obviously has greater resistance to fatique.
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, I'll take two sets of springs.
peterld  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC. Yes please - one set of inner and outer valve springs.

Why you no sleep now? 4am!!!
PLD
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put me down for two sets also.
Regards,
Chuck
CrashTest  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, I would love to have a set.

TIA,
Sammy
flosho  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be in for a set..
paulc20  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: I'd like a set as well Reply with quote

Hi RC
I'm currently rebuilding my 931 and have been testing my spring pressures. My old Ritch tester is not giving me consistent numbers, but overall I think my spring pressures are low.

The Integral cam I am installing recommends 232lb @1.182" on the inlet and 181.lb @ 1.204" for the exhaust with both at 62lb seated. It looks as if your springs will be suitable.

How do we going about placing the order?

Paul

1981 924 Turbo
1986 928S
gohim  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a need for springs at this time, but I have a couple of suggestions that may help you guys save some service and shipping charges.

#1 Rather than have each person in the US who is buying some springs each send a PayPal Payment to AUS, and incur a service charge and currency charges, how about having someone in the US accept all payment from US Buyers, and transmit a single payment?

#2 If I remember correctly, the shipping charge from AUS to US by Postal Service is reasonable up to a certain weight, and becomes ridiculously high over that weight. It would pay to research shipping methods. As odd as it sounds, you might find that it is cheaper to send individual spring sets by Postal Service, rather than 10 sets of springs in a single box by FedEx (for example).
RC  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
P.S. Rog, any word on color for these? I prefer purple, as it obviously has greater resistance to fatique.

Obviously. Thats an indisputable scientific fact. Millions of ricers around the world are testament to this.

Do you require any particular shade of purple to co-ordinate with your color scheme?

Guys, will keep this open till next week and see what quantity we end up with.

Paulc20, Found a big variation in the old springs too, more so the outers, but as a pair variation was 12Lbs seated to 36Lbs open. Performance ones were 2Lbs seated and still only 2Lbs open on multiple repeatable tests. About the tolerance of the scales anyway.

Sounds like you`re running an IC similar to Ideola. Am familiar with those specs and used them as a reference also.

Quote:
Max. RPM = 6500 with stock valve springs at sotck installed heights with stock lifters

Intake : Outer Spring : Inner Spring : Total
Valve open : 50.5 lbf @ 1.667" : 11.5 lbf @ 1.555" : 62.0 lbf
Valve closed: 196.1 lbf @ 1.182" : 36.8 lbf @ 1.070" : 232.9 lbf

Exhaust : Outer Spring : Inner Spring : Total
Valve open : 50.5 lbf @ 1.667" : 11.5 lbf @ 1.555" : 62.0 lbf
Valve closed: 188.2 lbf @ 1.204" : 35.4 lbf @ 1.092" : 181.6 lbf

Look familiar? You realize the open/closed figures are transposed and additionally the 181Lb quoted is incorrect. Adding individual inner and outer numbers actually results in 223.6 Lbs. This then corresponds with other data. I too am running an IC at this lift and checked this out thoroughly. Have a look here and see if we could get any closer:

A critical factor in obtaining the correct pressures is getting the installed height accurate. ANY previous valve facing or seat cutting over the life of the head WILL increase the height and reduce the pressures. The use of shims under the spring seat (or custom seats whatever) allow very accurate set up. Not rocket science but does take a little patience and attention to detail. Since you have your own spring tester I am sure you must know what you`re doing.

Thanks for that suggestion Gohim. Hate paypals fees too, including their 2.5% skim on currency transactions. Know you have dealt with them much more than I and am happy to toss any ideas around which will save us money. Isn`t the service charge relatively small like 35c or < $1 IIRC and then just a flat commission?

A quick look at Au post`s site just lists mainland USA at the same cost, no mention of states or locations. I estimate each boxed set to weigh 800 grams and surface shipping is Au$18 and air Au$26. Assuming there is a total of 10 sets at 8Kg shipping then becomes Au$80 sea, Au$134 air and Au$139 express. So agree that looks the way to go as individual cost is well reduced. Thats Aussie peanuts too so US$ are proportionally less. Have no idea of shipping or postal cost within the USA or of the most economically logistic location to distribute them from. Will let you US guys work that out amongst yourselves. Havent looked at Fedex or UPS as from experience they are never cheaper or IMO more reliable than the postal service.

Another thought, it may likely be cheaper to buy say 80 or whatever pairs of springs in bulk. Does anyone need the box? Will have to save a bit on shipping too. Not sure if they match individual springs as a set or if quality control is accurate across the board. If so could look at just a big bag of springs if theyre much cheaper? Doesnt make any difference to me but give me your opinions or preferences before I ask.
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paypal fees are nearly 4%, and the sender gets charged an add'l 2.5% currency conversion fee, so it doesn't matter if there's one or multiple paypal payments, the fees will end up being the same regardless. I would be happy to offer my Ideola commercial account as an "escrow" service for US buyers, and arrange a wire transfer to Roger, which would avoid most of the fees, especially if guys here in the states use certified funds rather than paypal. It will require a bit more coordination and time to pull that together, but given our recent successes with the rod bolts and head gaskets, I don't see this as a big deal.

Rasta has already offered to be the point of shipment, as it will likely be cheaper to ship to him on the west coast, and then have him forward the bits out from there to US buyers. That works for me, or I'd be willing to do that work as well, whatever we all decide.
RC  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, had the similar idea about PP but wasn`t sure. Just know that more goes in than what comes out.

How easy is it to transfer funds or to pay into a Mastercard account in the US. Worldwide, isnt it? Is still a currency fee involved but no PP commission.

Sure it doesnt matter from this end where in the US theyre shipped. Can send to wherever or whoever you guys nominate.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I half wouldn't mind a fresh set of springs for my 931, though they are likely OK. For that matter, a set or two of springs suitable for the NA would be nice to have too...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
flosho  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the total cost, I could just send a cashiers check certified, as to avoid fees on his end..

It's not "secure" as PP, but I trust him.
RC  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

924RACR, according to the PET and other info including here, Rennlist, in engine parts catalogs and from a Porsche dealer the same springs are used in all the NAs, turbos and GT too. All the PETs for various years and markets only list 046 109 623 valve spring outer, and 046 109 633 valve spring inner.

Eurocars (SA) parts manager wrote:
Quote:

046 109 623 valve spring outer 8 req. This part is no longer available

046 109 633 valve spring inner 8 req. $7.33ea Available from Germany

N 012 460 1 snap ring 8 req. $0.22ea Available from Melbourne

Used springs that I measured varied considerably in tension even though they were of similar free length using both a straight edge on all and digi calipers individually. Others here have also found weak springs and experienced valve float problems. Note that we both have documented incidence of cam follower fatigue and cracking. IMHO this is contributed to as much by under spec springs as it is to over revving. Interested in your opinion here too. The only way to assess the valve springs pressure is to measure each one individually. Perhaps if you have access to a spring tester or knock one up you could sort out the sheep from the goats, especially as I expect you may have a heap of spare springs lying around.

Flosho, not sure at if a cashiers check from a US bank is even accepted at Aussie banks, especially these days when they`re going broke. There would also have to be extra fees and charges for which our banks are infamous.

PP does appear to be the most practical option really and for its charges at least offers some protection. May even consider taking payments in US$ since its value against ours is increasing virtually daily.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK cool... I haven't been paying that much attention to the issue...

Yes, plenty of spare springs around, etc... but even though I have new springs in my race head, they're 4 seasons old, possibly out of spec now, and don't plan to pull the motor apart any time soon... though yes, we could readily rig up a tester (or buy a cheap one).

Most of my efforts these days are going into the new racecar, which shares nothing with the 924...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: