Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Valve springs now NLA. Any interest in another group buy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterld  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got home to sunny,sunny QLD. Geez it was cold down south.
Yep, you got the address perfectly right. It just took me a few days to find an internet cafe!.
Thanks again. PLD
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, US-destined valve springs are safe and sound @ Ideola's North American Shipping Depot, as are the Cometic head gaskets. The main bearing order is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, after which I'll start assembling the orders, arranging and invoicing for shipping, etc.
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heading out the the post office to drop off the first round of shipments!

All but four of you have been invoiced for shipping, I'll get the rest completed this morning.
smither  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I planning on a full engine rebuild next year and didn’t realise the valve springs where so difficult/impossible to get. As I am building the car to race so I thought it would be prudent to replace the valve springs. I emailed performance springs in Ormeau, Queensland (think this is the correct one), but they did not recall the order or the specification of the order you made. They said I needed the full spec of the springs, ID, OD, height, rate etc.
I even sent them the link to this thread but it didn’t ring any bells with them.
If somebody could supply me with this information I may be able to get a set made or see I they had an extras left over.
Also could somebody tell me the other engine components that are NLA so I can start scouting or endeavour save my existing items?
Just to comfirm i have a normally aspirated 1978 euro car.
Many Thanks
peterld  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Smither - RC organised valve spring buy and should have available specs to hand. A few people bought multiple sets and may have some left over, certainly by next year.
Numerous items are no longer generally available from the factory. Have a look at the Porsche PET and any number prefixed with a capital E is NLA. However there have been group buys recently for things such as: con rod bolts, main bearings, valve springs, lifters, cometic head gaskets et al. EBS in USA has often participated in these buys and usually has some stock.
Cheers Pete
RC  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a couple of spare sets which are the only extras from this run. PM if interested.
RC  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled this old thread out of the cellar and brushed the dust off as I will soon be looking to order some more springs for my own build. The few spare sets I once had have long gone and over the years have received numerous PMs requesting more.

I also have a few sample alternative springs and retainers that were sent for evaluation at the time, years ago. Will have to look again for the details or measure them again now. Of particular interest is a dual spring set (inner & outer) that has the same diameter as OE and these replacements but longer and therefore stronger. Unsure of compressed length, and any any definitive specs ATM but kept in mind that they would be ideal for a high revving, high lift cam, ie. a performance spring buy nature as well as name. IIRC they were of a length that would also permit the stock rotators on turbo heads (931/2) and NA exhaust to be dispensed with while maintaining OE seat pressure.

What I am looking into presently is using stronger springs, especially on the intake valves to offset the boost pressure against the back of the valve. This is with an improved stock profile cam and anything more radical and/or higher RPM or boost levels may benefit also. There`s far too much technical data & issues to go into detail here ATM. May start another thread just for that if necessary. or if anyone has tech questions, please start your own thread & I will be happy to contribute.

Am more or less just after expressions of interest ATM regarding stock replacement springs and a stronger high performance spring set. This is BEFORE I contact the manufacturer for a definite quote. Will let this run for say 2 weeks. As a guideline only, I`m positive it won`t be less than the $100 of a few years ago. That`s AUSTRALIAN $$, very close to US$ ATM. Plus any shipping cost of course.

Thing is, I want a fixed number to price. Last time was a F around for me and I`m sure the supplier too, with me emailing or ringing every few days to change or update the order, and costing me more in bank & PP fees too. Also appreciate there was no more discount from 10 sets to the final 28 (iirc) probably due to the time the manufacturer wasted in the office and his attitude. So regardless if its 1 or 2 sets just for me or more as a group buy, I refuse to be in the middle of screwing people around.

Please post any interest HERE in this thread. Unless there is a valid reason for confidentiality please do not PM or email me. Its not anything personal, merely more time consuming and of no benefit to others here. No BS poll either. There is no commitment on anyone (particularly myself) at this stage.

Options are:

1. stock replacement spring set (8x inner, 8x outer, 16 total)

2. high performance spring set (8x inner, 8x outer, 16 total)

Allan @ DTA wrote:
I have no issue with superchargers, they are for guys who want to drive a car rather than talk about horsepower with their baseball cap on backwards
WEASEL149  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definitely interested in a stock replacement spring set for my latest build.

My new cam is not stock so I will consider the stronger performance set although I'm not sure I would actually require stronger springs.

Either way, if this goes ahead put me down for a stock replacement set please.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be more interested in a high performance set unless there is a compelling reason to stay stock.
!tom  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in for one set.

Either type would do.
daniel  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got a set of double valve springs from Paeco for my new motor and am very impressed
jim kleyh  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: valve spring buy Reply with quote

Hi, first post for me. I would be in for a set of each as I'm not really sure what direction my motor's going and I think I should get both while I can. I've been going throughout the forum for weeks now gleening info as I go along. Thankfully there are so many people such as your self eager to promote and assist. Thanks everyone. JIM
colC  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take 2 sets of stock springs if this goes ahead, thanks
Dutch924-racer  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of the first group buy, where those standard springs or upgraded ones ?
Fast road camshaft
Forge recirculation valve + boost controller
RC  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch924-racer wrote:
I have a set of the first group buy, where those standard springs or upgraded ones ?

They were all stock replacement springs.

Due to the reduction in fully compressed length (reduced coil bind) these standard springs are easily able to be set up to a higher than stock seat pressure, with corresponding maximum lift pressure. This will cater for at least moderate alternative cams of higher lift.

Unless one has a good reason for doing so, in all cases it is best to follow the advice of the cam designer. We have some basic data from Porsche on the stock springs, but thankfully Integral cams quantified and published their figures and these were verified personally by measuring the OE springs. Anyone using anything but a stock grind should refer to or seek the specs from the manufacturer or grinder. Without specs it is a just a big gamble on the longevity of your cam & lifters, a well known issue with these motors anyway. It is very unlikely you will even produce more power or allow higher RPM by simply increasing spring pressure above stock.

Other than using a "hot" aftermarket cam, the only valid reason IMO for running with an increased spring pressure would be much higher than stock boost and/ or sustained high RPM. Like in a racecar, where the owner is prepared to constantly spend money on maintenance and address any further issues as they arise.

Haven`t had the time yet to evaluate the stronger springs or retainers. Will hopefully do so shortly if not this W/E. Knowing the specifications are essential, so they can be set up correctly and matched to the cam manufacturer`s recommendation. Sorry, I`m not going to be responsible or even offer to supply anything that I have not personally evaluated and have full confidence in. Stronger springs and any alternative light weight retainers may not be suitable anyway. To repeat, they were merely given for evaluation.

Am sure however that there is sufficient interest to look at a minimum of 10 sets of the stock springs at this stage. Time allowing, I would also like to re-test these springs that I have been using over the last few years, occasionally over the 6.5K redline too. Although there have been no issues and I am very happy with the performance and reliability, it`s more for curiosity and confidence.

Allan @ DTA wrote:
I have no issue with superchargers, they are for guys who want to drive a car rather than talk about horsepower with their baseball cap on backwards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: